Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New IS220d owner seeking advise.

acer54

ahh, sorry, I looked at your profile info, not what you posted in your first post here.

Yes, as John pointed out, your car would still be eligible for the warranty, and it would cost £995 for 2 years cover.  It has gone up in the last year, as it was £795 when I took mine out, but it is still worth it I think.  You also get 2 years top level AA cover with it, which would cost you £300 for the two years.

You would need to have a visual safety inspection done on the car to qualify.  Assuming that gives you the all clear, then you are good to go.  They obviously wouldn't cover the clutch for wear and tear, but a failed release bearing is worth a go.  This is assuming they don't pick up on it when they check it, since they won't cover any pre-existing conditions.  Either way, if they DMF failed, they should cover it, and they would fit the clutch at the same time for just the cost of the part.

As to the part, it is worth haggling sometimes.  My dealer initially wanted closer to £750 for the clutch, but after having told them I could get a genuine kit for roughly £400, the price came down to £500.  In the end, I had some problems with mine which means I was very pleased I got the clutch off them to start with.

The details of the warranty can be found here:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/#LexusCareExtendedWarranty

• Like 1

I have been looking at warranty Direct which covers mechanical failure and also wear and tear after 90 days, it covers the all important head gasket and also the dual mass flywheel and after 90 days wear and tear items as well - cost is about £400 for two years.

As I already have breakdown cover from my insurance provider surely warranty Direct is a better option, what are your thoughts on this Shahpor? 

I have not had much experience with aftermarket warranties, but it doesn't look like a great deal.  Firstly, for me I said Major Care was £300 a year?

Secondly, after have a quick browse through the documentation, there are a couple of things that stand out:

They don't cover oil leaks unless they are major.

They don't cover carbon build up issues, which is a problem for a diesel.

Lastly, on page 20, they says that they will only pay 50% of the parts cost because your car has over 100k miles on it.

They will only pay up to a specific labour rate, which you would need to check beforehand in case it is quite low.

So, with all this in mind, I would be much happier with the Lexus warranty.  But, of course, it is up to you. :smile:

I spoke to one of their agents a few days ago and was told:-

DPF not covered, which was a disappointment.

Because my car has more than 100,000 miles you can upgrade the cover (increased premium) and they payout upto the value of the car.

Good point about the labour rate - I will look into that for sure.

I will also look into the Lexus warranty the next time I'm at the dealership.

Well, seeing as most problems that crop up on here are EGR and DPF related, it is not good that the DPF isn't covered.  Especially since it isn't cheap.

So what is the cost with the extra cover included?

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

£450 for 2 years?

Yep, Lexus warranty covers both.

As I understand it was for two years, Lexus warranty is probably the way to go for overall peace of mind I think. 

I think so anyway.

I have certainly had my monies worth a few times over on my premium.  It has also been a quick and painless experience so far.  Gonna get mine renewed when it comes up in July.

DJustETAILS AND PRICING

The LexusCare Extended Warranty is available for vehicles up to 10 years old with less than 140,000 miles at the point of sale, and includes complimentary Lexus Roadside Assistance.
For a limited period customers can benefit from 24 months warranty cover for the price of 12 (excluding LS)

Warranty Cover CT IS & IS-F NX GS RX RC-F SC430 LS LS
(12 month)
24 month unlimited mileage extended warranty £495 £895 £795 £1,095 £995 £995 £1,095 £2,395 £1,495

erms and Conditions:es valid from 1st January to 31st December 2016.ll Prices are fully inclusive of VA

Prices apply to Lexus vehicles only registered in the United Kingdom.
For drivers who will exceed 60,000 miles within the 3 year manufacturer's warranty period, purchasing an extended warranty within this period will provide cover for the full three years plus the additional 12 or 24 months.

FAQ DETAILS AND PRICING

The LexusCare Extended Warranty is available for vehicles up to 10 years old with less than 140,000 miles at the point of sale, and includes complimentary Lexus Roadside Assistance.
For a limited period customers can benefit from 24 months warranty cover for the price of 12 (excluding LS)

(12 month)
24 month unlimited mileage extended warranty £495 £895 £795 £1,095 £995 £995 £1,095 £2,395 £1,495

Terms and Conditions:
Prices valid from 1st January to 31st December 2016.
All Prices are fully inclusive of VAT at 20%
For drivers who will exceed 60,000 miles within the 3 year manufacturer's warranty period, purchasing an extended warranty within this period will provide cover for the full three years plus the additional 12 or 24 months.

FAQ

DETAILS AND PRICING

(12 month)

Terms and Conditions:
Prices valid from 1st January to 31st December 2016.
All Prices are fully inclusive of VAT at 20%

FAQ

Edited by royoftherovers
error in posting,sorry.

3 hours ago, acer54 said:

Just phoned local Lexus garage and they tell me that extended warranty is not available to me because the car has done in excess of 100,000 miles - work that one out!

Another phone call is in order I think.  Mine had 109,000 miles on it when I bought the warranty.

Or perhaps another dealer if you have one around?

On 1/6/2017 at 7:51 AM, acer54 said:

Surely not every IS220d suffers with all these problems?

Probably not every but that is sadly very common... more like abundant.. .

and you car won't qualify for extended warranty, it is offered for up to 10 years or 140k miles.

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Just looked at Lexus website Steve and it says 10 years or 140,000 miles.What you were told is not what the website says.

Look yourself and bring it to the attention of whoever told you 100,000 miles.

Regards

John

100k was standard warranty for is220d engine only. That was extend due to awful lot of head gasket issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Probably not every but that is sadly very common... more like abundant.. .

and you car won't qualify for extended warranty, it is offered for up to 10 years or 140k miles.

I was wondering where you have been :smile:

If you look further up the thread, you will see that his car is actually a 2007 car, so it is eligible for the warranty.

I was wondering where you have been :smile:

If you look further up the thread, you will see that his car is actually a 2007 car, so it is eligible for the warranty.

for incomplete year .. .that is. I was just going by his profile year.

I have been in snow country.. but now back... just earned the right to call UK winter mild.

21 hours ago, acer54 said:

Just phoned local Lexus garage and they tell me that extended warranty is not available to me because the car has done in excess of 100,000 miles - work that one out!

Phoned the Lexus dealership again this morning and they confirmed it is covered when pushed about the 140,000 limit, they are sending me a booklet out to read, looks like this will be the way to go.

Interestingly my Lexus is 10 years old on the 30th April and if the extended warranty is taken before then it will be covered until it is nearly 12 years old or 140,000 miles.

3 minutes ago, acer54 said:

Phoned the Lexus dealership again this morning and they confirmed it is covered when pushed about the 140,000 limit, they are sending me a booklet out to read, looks like this will be the way to go.

Interestingly my Lexus is 10 years old on the 30th April and if the extended warranty is taken before then it will be covered until it is nearly 12 years old or 140,000 miles.

Forum 1... a certain Lexus Dealership 0...a fine result, me thinks.

Regards

John

• Like 2

Nice one :thumbsup:

Mine will be almost 9 years old and approaching 130k when the warranty is due for renewal.  I suppose it shows that Lexus has faith in their cars, even when so well used.

Although it sounds like the dealer you spoke to doesn't want to warranty yours?

Mine will be almost 9 years old and approaching 130k when the warranty is due for renewal.  I suppose it shows that Lexus has faith in their cars, even when so well used.

To be fair when I rang yesterday I spoke to the dealer receptionist, today I spoke to the Service department.

On 1/11/2017 at 0:08 PM, Shahpor said:

I surprised they not offering you to buy the car out of you, just not to warranty it. Give IS220d warranty is risky and expensive commitment (you know I am joking @Shahpor right?)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Since having the egr cleaned it would appear that 6th gear is more usable because of the power increase at low revs (between 1200 and 1800 rpm). So some additional benefit from having the egr cleaned. 

• 1 month later...

Hay I'm a 220 owner 

The rattling is a worn clutch!  Happens to every car tbh

And the power issues first dpf clean! And then search Google for regal tuning they have places all over the UK and get the car remapped!! This totally changes the the drive of the car! The car feel like a petrol to drive, power all the way though the Rev range and a good increase in bhp and torque!  

This all sort it out 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links