Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash cam GS300h 2014 4th generation

I looked at powering mine from the interior lights but figured it may only work when I opened the doors. :) In the end I ran a cable from the centre consul. The feed to the 12v outlet (Cigar lighter) is a switched live and big enough to power the camera.

Make sure your cam is 12v before wiring it direct.

A 12 volt feed can be found above the centre light control panel as the lights are ground switched with a permanent feed. I use this feed for a mirror mounted LCD display when towing my caravan with a camera mounted at the rear for complete rear view coverage.

John.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hardy said:

Hi, Has anyone hard wired a dash cam mounted by rear view mirror on windscreen?

Maybe get a feed from interior lights by rear view mirror?

Another member published the guide below on how to remove the overhead console and wire in a dashcam. I've not done it myself (I cheaped out and ran mine from the rear lighter socket, tucking behind the trims on the way round) but it suggests that what you want is possible:

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies, most helpful, especially the link provided by Ten Ninety. Will attempt the wiring as soon as the 12v dc to 5v dc converter arrives. Hopefully the beginning of next week. Will post how I get on. 

I've had my dashcam hard wire installed in my GS for a year or so.

It's right next to the rear view mirror and other than the shortest piece of cable (about 2 inches I guess) exiting the camera and heading behind the trim, absolutely no wiring is visible.

Best of all it was fitted without removing any significant trim and with very simple tools in about 10 minutes.

Certainly no removal of the overhead console involved... just wiring directly from the fuse box to the top of the windscreen. No wires cut and all very quickly and easily reversible.

I think I spent about £10 on wiring kit and parts to make this a simple job.

Happy to go into more detail / and or do a quick video if this would help anyone.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well I managed to hard wire in with very little effort. I dropped the overhead lighting panel, held up with two clips at the front and two at the rear using a plastic trim removal tool. There are two electrical multi plugs connected to this panel, one drivers side one passengers side (see the link provided by Ten Ninety above for pictures). Using a multimeter I located a negative and positive (positive only when ignition is on) going to the passenger side multi plug. I then connected a 12v dc to 5v dc convertor regulator to these wires (purchased on eBay for £1.89p plus 89p postage). The 5v dc output was wired to the mini usb cable which came with the camera.

The camera I am using, which was a Christmas present is a Nextbase 402g Pro which mounts by the rear view mirror and is powered with a 5V dc supply. There is only a short piece of wire showing from the usb socket located on the top of the camera to where it goes into the overhead panel along with the cable from the rear view mirror located at the top of the windscreen.

I am really pleased with the outcome and the quality of the movies from the camera day and night are second to none. The camera turns on and off with the ignition so can just forget about it knowing it is recording all the time when driving.

Hopefully, may get a discount on my insurance premium when I renew it in a couple of months!!!