Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 DHP Wheels - WTB and question

Folks

Looking for a set of DHP wheels for my 98 LS400

Happy to buy with or without tyres but must have 4x centre caps - if with tyres, they should have at least 50% tread life, must be a quality brand and as close as possible to the original rolling diameter.

Cosmetic issues acceptable as I'll get them refurbed, however they should be priced accordingly. 

Have noted the set of 5 on eBay, so looking for alternate leads.

Question - are the nuts (or bolts ?) the same for DHP and standard 16" wheels?

Many thanks

Hi Shirish

DHP wheels are nice,  just a thought on that, to my understanding DHP wheels are handed Left and Right. I believe the holes are designed to direct airflow to the discs and are scooped out more to one side.

I may have miss-understood my reading on this but that's how I understood it.

Maybe someone will come and clarify or debunk my understanding.

If so ensure you get a set 2 left and 2 right, but that then poses another question what about a spare?

Jim

Hi Shirish

DHP wheels are nice,  just a thought on that, to my understanding DHP wheels are handed Left and Right. I believe the holes are designed to direct airflow to the discs and are scooped out more to one side.

If so ensure you get a set 2 left and 2 right, but that then poses another question what about a spare?

Jim

Thanks Jim, that I didn't know!

Hi Shirish

Looking at 5 together it would appear that way, but why would the holes be shaped more to one side? so it seems I did understood wrong then? see a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

I think they are over-priced at £600 sounds like the tyres are not up to much. I was at a breakers in birmingham mid last year and they had a couple of stacks of them all needing refurb but at around £50 a wheel and £35 per wheel refurb they were OK value but they wouldn't sell me set of 5 only 4 and I couldn't drive around with an odd spare. I suppose that by only selling 4 they get an extra set from every 4 sets.

Sorry for miss-leading you.

Jim

The offset holes could be for the same reason tyre tread blocks are in random sizes around the circumference of a tyre, it breaks up the air and prevents it attaching to the surface and then making a noise when finally breaking away, it's all in the pursuit of quietness.....

55 minutes ago, riskegp said:

Don't know if it helps but I have these inserts off my old LS400.

IMG_2690.JPG

these are probably the equivalent of  " goldust "  tbh

Malc

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JIM PIKE said:

Hi Shirish

Jim

So, if that were the case, what would the spare wheel be?

I suspect you're getting confused with directional tyres, which should be mounted with the arrows pointing in the direction of forward rotation.

1 hour ago, mikeyv said:

So, if that were the case, what would the spare wheel be?

I suspect you're getting confused with directional tyres, which should be mounted with the arrows pointing in the direction of forward rotation.

on the Ls400 Mk 3 the wheels are actually directional, the slope of the holes can be seen quite clearly BUT as you say, the ignominy of that 5th wheel being at the wrong slope if ever used, and in 50% of cases, is more than many could bear :w00t:

( I only know this from an earlier comment years ago when i was corrected on here and after careful looking did agree ......  but so what ! )

Malc

Riskegp.  Those wheel inserts are probably off an early model. Pictured below are DHP centre caps and are much smaller about 60mm in dia.

GSCapsPollenFilter001.jpg

I have 4 of these so will measure them for you for future reference.

There are differences in the wheel nuts as pictured below but not sure if its LS400 and/or GS300.  Maybe 17mm and 19mm. I may have some of these in me garage so will look tomorrow.

LexusGS300011-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The DHP wheels are all 5 the same, so when looking at them, the elongated bit of the 7 cut-outs is towards the top-right/bottom-left (which keeps things simple, but sets off the OCD in me). So they all look like this:

Image00009.jpg

Any notions of 'improved airflow' are marketing BS or wishful thinking.

I have them on mine but don't like them (for looks nor tyre choice nor alloy quality), and next time that it's tyre change time, I may swap to non-DHP wheels.

42 minutes ago, goldtop said:

The DHP wheels are all 5 the same, so when looking at them, the elongated bit of the 7 cut-outs is towards the top-right/bottom-left (which keeps things simple, but sets off the OCD in me). So they all look like this:

Image00009.jpg

Any notions of 'improved airflow' are marketing BS or wishful thinking.

I have them on mine but don't like them (for looks nor tyre choice nor alloy quality), and next time that it's tyre change time, I may swap to non-DHP wheels.

Fancy a swap?

Well, that's not my car/wheel :) Mine - condition-wise - are way worse than that. But I'll only think about swapping when I've got all the mileage out of this set of tyres. They are a fairly tricky size/profile (I went for 235/55/17) and not so cheap, ISTR.

The Big Nerdy Spreadsheet tells me that I've had 12000 miles out of one pair, and 21000 miles out of the other so far... methinks that it's probably time I checked them! :-/