Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

car steaming up

Temperatures have dropped below zero now and my windows keep misting up. When i wake the car up in the morning all windows are damp. Normally the airco takes care of that within seconds but it can now take up to 10 minutes before all windows are fully clear again. Park the car after a trip and immediately it steams up again repeating the whole process. I have experimented with aircon / venting settings and also switched the aircon off only to find the windows steaming up whilst i am driving.

Could there be something wrong with the airco unit? maybe extremely high humidity levels? combination of that plus freezing temps?

Any idea's?    

Leave the a/c on and on Auto I find is the best setting.

Check your carpets for damp, lift them in the foot wells to check the underneath.

Check the windscreen scuttle drains are clear of leaf debris and the water flows away quickly. 

When was the cabin pollen filter last changed? Check to see if it is damp.

• Like 1

Interesting post in the sense that my wife reported the same issue with our RX450h when I talked to her yesterday (I am currently in northern California). She was saying that, not only there is condensation inside the car, but also that the inside of the windscreen was frozen.

The only explanation I could offer was that she's only been driving short journeys over the past few days, all with 2 or 3 teenagers + dog in the car, and that the car had not had the chance to fully warm up to get rid of any residual damp.

14 hours ago, DanD said:

Interesting post in the sense that my wife reported the same issue with our RX450h when I talked to her yesterday (I am currently in northern California). She was saying that, not only there is condensation inside the car, but also that the inside of the windscreen was frozen.

The only explanation I could offer was that she's only been driving short journeys over the past few days, all with 2 or 3 teenagers + dog in the car, and that the car had not had the chance to fully warm up to get rid of any residual damp.

One of my colleagues with an NX300h had this problem the other day. It was simply that the air conditioning was inadvertently switched off thus not dehumidifying the air inside the car. I switched this back on and all was clear the next day. As noted above it is best to keep the A/C on all the time.

Unlike the NX, the new model RX does not have an A/C switch on the dash and you have to use the centre display to set the climate controls. This makes it more difficult to accidentally switch off the A/C.

As everyone says, keep your air con on at all times, it's not just for the summer and runs very efficiently in more recent cars. Worth running it at full fan speed and high heat to dry out the damp in the channels every now and then too.

One of my colleagues with an NX300h had this problem the other day. It was simply that the air conditioning was inadvertently switched off thus not dehumidifying the air inside the car. I switched this back on and all was clear the next day. As noted above it is best to keep the A/C on all the time.

Unlike the NX, the new model RX does not have an A/C switch on the dash and you have to use the centre display to set the climate controls. This makes it more difficult to accidentally switch off the A/C.

I think you're wrong there sir. It says auto on the dashboard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, ISJason said:

Unlike the NX, the new model RX does not have an A/C switch on the dash

No Aircon on/off on the GS dash panel either only in the screen menu controls.

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, IS300Hdriver said:

Also found an option in the vehicle settings - climate, for an efficient ventilation mode, might be worth turning this off?

No!

• 5 years later...
On 1/5/2017 at 4:10 PM, dutchie01 said:

Temperatures have dropped below zero now and my windows keep misting up. When i wake the car up in the morning all windows are damp. Normally the airco takes care of that within seconds but it can now take up to 10 minutes before all windows are fully clear again. Park the car after a trip and immediately it steams up again repeating the whole process. I have experimented with aircon / venting settings and also switched the aircon off only to find the windows steaming up whilst i am driving.

Could there be something wrong with the airco unit? maybe extremely high humidity levels? combination of that plus freezing temps?

Any idea's?    

Mine is exactly the same, getting fed up with this

Mines is starting to steam a little but my interior glass hasn't been cleaned since January so long overdue.  I would start by giving the glass a clean and also check the cabin filter while you are at it.

If issue persist check the boot for any moisture.

If the air con is left on in the winter then other than a slight misting on first starting the car which should clear very quickly the only other reasons I know of why you should get any significant misting up is if you have a) water getting into the car (I had a leak in the windscreen surround having had a new one fitted causing misting up); b) the drain from the air con under the car is blocked (had this on previous cars and needed blowing out); c) possibly when the air con is left on recirculation though if a) and b) are not a problem then this isn't usually an issue on its own. 

• Like 1

Hi, there is a previous post on this somewhere with more details but condensation on the rear screen, most common reason is a cracked boot weld seam. The boot lid is light to save weight, people tend to slam it too hard. If you remove the inner boot trim, then the lights, then the trim above the number plate, you can see the cracks. In the previous post some owners had significant cracks, mine are relatively small but you still get water ingress. I just re-siliconed mine (and around the boot key hole) as winter is coming...

20221008_114953.jpg

20221008_114959.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links