• Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
      Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
    • Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
      Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
    • Join Gold & Save!
      Join Gold & Save!
    • Get Your Club Gear
      Get Your Club Gear
    • 1000's of Lexus For Sale
      1000's of Lexus For Sale

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Mac86

Need to change battery - can't open bonnet

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Is there a way to open the bonnet in order to change the car battery? The battery is dead and I can't open the passenger door manaully.

A few years ago my car keys got stolen, and I changed the passenger door but the lock barrel is from another lexus.

Otherwise, I will have to smash and replace the sidescreen :(

Thanks

If you have to resort to breaking glass why not go through the rear quarter glass? - that way you can do a temporary repair and still drive the car.

Auto Locksmith?

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, cruisermark said:

If you have to resort to breaking glass why not go through the rear quarter glass? - that way you can do a temporary repair and still drive the car.

That's possibly an idea, but would I be able to open the door from inside?

Because I'm imagining if I smash the drivers window I will need to lean over the door, to release the bonnet lever.

Hi I take you don't have a key for the boot 

^^^ What Clifton said

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, clifton 94 said:

Hi I take you don't have a key for the boot 

The key still opens the boot, but not the drivers door.

:)

open the boot and remove the curtesy light assy there will be one or two wires going to it connect a battery charger to the wires or wire and charge the battery for awhile just make sure you connect the wires correctly then open with fob 

2 people like this

You will have a light in the boot just put your head in the boot and look up  any cheap charger will do 

1 person likes this

What Clifton says will definitely work 🙂

2 people like this

Thank you guys.

I will check it out this weekday night. Otherwise it might be a next weekends task :)

I need to order a car battery charger too.

Autoglass gave me a quote over £300 to replace my side window!!!! :O

Yeah, not cheap, certainly the last resort.

It only needs a small amount of charging, just enough for the fob to open the door. You can then charge from under the bonnet once it's open.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, clifton 94 said:

open the boot and remove the curtesy light assy there will be one or two wires going to it connect a battery charger to the wires or wire and charge the battery for awhile just make sure you connect the wires correctly then open with fob 

I just opened the boot, and I assume you are referring to the small little lightbulb with a plastic cage around it? 

That's it 

I hope this is right, I've been charging for the last 30 minutes

car1.png

car2.png

That's it , you could put the black earth connector to another earth point to keep the charger leads apart like where the boot catch locks down 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, clifton 94 said:

That's it , you could put the black earth connector to another earth point to keep the charger leads apart like where the boot catch locks down 

I followed what you did, and that worked.

Literally in seconds the car alarm started going off, allowing me to open the car doors.

I purchased a battery from Euro parts online, and the terminals were in the wrong position. I managed to buy another one at Halfords tonight.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to attempt to place the lightbulb back. (I destroyed the plastic mould holding the wires)

Thanks Clifton94 and Tigerfish! :)

1 person likes this

Never in a million years would I have thought of charging a battery through the cars wiring.

I doff my cap to you gentlemen. :thumbup:

2 people like this

Hahaha! That's what I was thinking all this week. It's not even April fools yet :laugh:

People were asking me, what are you doing? :wallbash:

Saved me £300 to smash my car window, and to replace it.

1 person likes this

Now you have to find out why the battery went flat 

Probably a few reasons:

• it's 4 years old
  • I hardly drive my car (Maybe once a week 20 min journey)

I need to drive my baby more often.

Great result B)

On 14 January 2017 at 10:26 PM, Mac86 said:

Probably a few reasons:

• it's 4 years old
  • I hardly drive my car (Maybe once a week 20 min journey)

I need to drive my baby more often.

My battery is in it's 10th year and like you for the last 5 years or so I only drive it once a week. When it does fail me I take it off and trickle charge it. It is a Toyota 65AH rated battery.