Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need to change battery - can't open bonnet

Mac86

Hey guys,

Is there a way to open the bonnet in order to change the car Battery? The Battery is dead and I can't open the passenger door manaully.

A few years ago my car keys got stolen, and I changed the passenger door but the lock barrel is from another lexus.

Otherwise, I will have to smash and replace the sidescreen :(

Thanks

21 hours ago, cruisermark said:

If you have to resort to breaking glass why not go through the rear quarter glass? - that way you can do a temporary repair and still drive the car.

That's possibly an idea, but would I be able to open the door from inside?

Because I'm imagining if I smash the drivers window I will need to lean over the door, to release the bonnet lever.

Thank you guys.

I will check it out this weekday night. Otherwise it might be a next weekends task :)

I need to order a car Battery charger too.

Autoglass gave me a quote over £300 to replace my side window!!!! :O

Yeah, not cheap, certainly the last resort.

It only needs a small amount of charging, just enough for the fob to open the door. You can then charge from under the bonnet once it's open.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

16 hours ago, clifton 94 said:

open the boot and remove the curtesy light assy there will be one or two wires going to it connect a battery charger to the wires or wire and charge the battery for awhile just make sure you connect the wires correctly then open with fob 

I just opened the boot, and I assume you are referring to the small little lightbulb with a plastic cage around it? 

3 hours ago, clifton 94 said:

That's it , you could put the black earth connector to another earth point to keep the charger leads apart like where the boot catch locks down 

I followed what you did, and that worked.

Literally in seconds the car alarm started going off, allowing me to open the car doors.

I purchased a Battery from Euro parts online, and the terminals were in the wrong position. I managed to buy another one at Halfords tonight.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to attempt to place the lightbulb back. (I destroyed the plastic mould holding the wires)

Thanks Clifton94 and Tigerfish! :)

• Like 1

Hahaha! That's what I was thinking all this week. It's not even April fools yet :laugh:

People were asking me, what are you doing? :wallbash:

Saved me £300 to smash my car window, and to replace it.

• Like 1

On 14 January 2017 at 10:26 PM, Mac86 said:

Probably a few reasons:

• it's 4 years old
  • I hardly drive my car (Maybe once a week 20 min journey)

I need to drive my baby more often.

My Battery is in it's 10th year and like you for the last 5 years or so I only drive it once a week. When it does fail me I take it off and trickle charge it. It is a Toyota 65AH rated Battery.

• 7 years later...

Hello everyone. 

I have the same problem as Mac86 and I have tried to do everything like how Mac86 did.

I connected the positive terminal of the light socket to the positive terminal of the Battery and the negative terminal of the Battery to the car chassis as ground.

I turned it on and nothing happened except the my AC/DC 14V transformer started smoking.
I then tried it with another car Battery charger and that didn't work either.

Could anyone please give me extremely detailed instructions with clear images on how to fix this? @Mac86@clifton 94@TigerFish