Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Feedback On 'Oil Extractor Pumps'?

Can anyone give me some feedback on oil extractor pumps, Im interested more in the 12v versions than manuals, they seem to start around 30quid & maybe up to 60, also where are we supposed to dump used oil?

Could be OK as long as you've got the oil hot, first. Total fail trying to suck out cold oil from my Boat Engine sump.  Manual pump far simpler.  Never used either on the car as to remove the filter is just too much trouble so let my Mechie do it.

Most local tips have a container for waste oil.  speaking of which, the one near me has just removed its Aggregate skip saying that I'd need go ten miles to find another.  Why Councils fail to recognise that his sort of stupidity just means that the Countryside will be clogged with fly tipping which will cost much more to deal with, I just can't fathom.  I'd rather pay say £3 a load to be able to go a couple of miles than travel ten to dispose of the odd Wheelbarrow of rubble.

I've used a manual one for years (pump it up to form a vacuum and leave it to it - pump for about 10 seconds, very simple). With my old E36 BMW it made life even simpler as the oil filter was at the top of the engine under the bonnet, so no need to go under the car at all.

When you say what to do with the oil, do you mean whilst emptying it, or after you've drained and want to dispose of? As above, the local tip has an area for used oil. My manual one holds the oil whilst extracting, and can then go in the empty bottle your new oil has come out of.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I remember years ago some petrol stations (Mobil for sure) had commercial oil extractor pumps for DIY use, I never used one so unsure if you had to buy the replacement oil from the petrol station (expensive) or you could bring your own but the machine stored your old oil meaning no disposal problems.

As previously mentioned you still have to generally get under the car to replace the oil filter so perhaps conventional methods are better seeing as you still need to do this if using an extractor plus you can check for any leaks from the sump area at the same time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links