Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just fitted two new Avon ZV7s to the back. Despite 4mm of tread left on the Evergreens, there was no grip at all as the compound must be so hard. 

Fronts getting done in two weeks when I can afford it.

Had them done at National, as I don't have a Halfords Autocentre near me, they price matched Halfords as well!

2 hours ago, TimS320 said:

Just fitted two new Avon ZV7s to the back. Despite 4mm of tread left on the Evergreens, there was no grip at all as the compound must be so hard. 

Fronts getting done in two weeks when I can afford it.

Had them done at National, as I don't have a Halfords Autocentre near me, they price matched Halfords as well!

Seem a popular tyre - I had these on the rears last week - good grip in wet compared to the Evergreen mind you a wet hankie would have been better than the evergreens.

These Evergreens must really be bad on frontwheel drive cars!

On 1/8/2017 at 1:09 PM, TimS320 said:

Was driving carefully in the rain yesterday through Manchester. Stopped at the traffic lights, to right filter in two lanes turning right. As I pulled out and turned right the back end broke away and spun violently thru 270 degrees. I managed to catch it and bring it back in. Luckily traffic in the other lane was light and managed to avoid us. Now I had the family in the car and the weather was dreadful so was being as careful as possible.

No idea why the back stepped out so hard and fast as I didn't see any trace of oil on the road. I'm always more careful as well in rearwheel drive cars. The traction control was beeping frantically but could do nothing. I have had the back twitch a couple of times over the past year, but usually when exiting a wet roundabout. However never at such a low speed.

I've currently got the tyres on about 38-40psi as I'm more motorway driving and it seems to sharpen the steering up a bit, but I'm wondering if it might be worth dropping the rears a couple of psi? I have the standard 225/45/17 on the front and 245/45/17 on the rear.

The only other thought is that I still have the tyres on that came on the car when I bought it. Evergreen EU72 tyres. I've just done 8k on them in the last 6 months and they were OK but I wouldn't say they inspire confidence. So I'm now looking at getting a new set of Avons all round.

Has anyone had anything similar happen and any thoughts on what might be the cause? Overinflation, rubbish tyres?

38-40 PSI is far too much, especially on junk tyres!

I never skimp on tyres, dont get the mentality of people saving a few bob on cheap rubber. 

ZV7s are good, they are on my 17" OEM wheels currently. Meanwhile, my old girl is running on the aftermarket 16" with WT7s and needless to say I couldn't wait to get out in the snow on Thursday! 

Big improvement now with rear end grip. Looking at the tread pattern as well, there is a lot more edge tread compared to the Evergreen. If there hadn't been a new set of these on the car when I bought it, I certainly would not have fitted them, usually I go for the Continentals or Michelin. However I've got 8.5k out of these tyres, all motorway mainly, with careful driving in the wet.

Now I can start replacing them, the difference is noticeable, but also it highlighted how much grip the Evergreen lost very quickly as the top surface wire down to this harder compound. 

Looking at some of these tyre reviews, I'm of the opinion that the evergreen ones must be "paid for" reviews.

15 minutes ago, TimS320 said:

Big improvement now with rear end grip. Looking at the tread pattern as well, there is a lot more edge tread compared to the Evergreen. If there hadn't been a new set of these on the car when I bought it, I certainly would not have fitted them, usually I go for the Continentals or Michelin. However I've got 8.5k out of these tyres, all motorway mainly, with careful driving in the wet.

Now I can start replacing them, the difference is noticeable, but also it highlighted how much grip the Evergreen lost very quickly as the top surface wire down to this harder compound. 

Looking at some of these tyre reviews, I'm of the opinion that the evergreen ones must be "paid for" reviews.

Cheap tyres are cheap for a reason,why any body would fit them to a quality car is mind boggling. At the end of the day they are your contact with the

road. Do not skimp buy the best you can afford, every body has their own favorites, having never used Avons of any size or description i can not comment

on them. Not all makes of tyres work on every car either, what works on a front drive car may not be that good on a rear drive. Forums are best for advise

on this. But then its down to personal preference once again, and also budget and driving style. Spirited motor way etc. If you are happy then that is all that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, just done 300 miles with the new Avons on the back and it is a huge improvement. Really increased the confidence level again in driving the car.

Comment by the tyre fitters was that the  Evergreens have a thin layer of good rubber when new which quickly wears away leaving mainly very hard compound which wears well but gives no grip at all. As I found!