Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid System Issue

Over this weekend my 2014 IS300h has developed an issue when I try to start it. Upon hitting the start button I get the following message along with a warning buzzer - 'Hybrid System has stopped. Please put Shift Lever into P'

Needless to say it is already in P.

Both times this has happened I have eventually started the car after persisting for 2-3 minutes.

I will be contacting Lexus Bristol tomorrow for their thoughts but wondered if any other owners have experienced this and if so what was the outcome?

Regards.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've had the car for just over 12 months now so I am very used to the starting procedure. I am doing nothing different than I have been doing before.

This happened again this morning although was fine this evening.

Another symptom is that the automatic seat and steering wheel adjustment doesn't happen as normal. Once it had started it this morning I had to hit my programmed button on the door to get it to position.

Spoke to Lexus Bristol who think it could be a faulty sensor that indicates it is in park.

Anyway it is going in on Friday morning for them to look at while I make use of the fine Lexus facilities. If they identify a problem I will update this thread in due course.

It is still under warranty thankfully.

Cheers.

I wonder if it could be the Battery issue that some cars had where the terminals were loose?

Worth checking anyway,

If the sensor was faulty indicating the car was in park, surely the hybrid system would start regardless?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, purse3223 said:

Spoke to Lexus Bristol who think it could be a faulty sensor that indicates it is in park.

Sorry this should have read 'Spoke to Lexus Bristol who think it could be a faulty sensor that should normally indicate it is in park.'

8 hours ago, purse3223 said:

Sorry this should have read 'Spoke to Lexus Bristol who think it could be a faulty sensor that should normally indicate it is in park.'

Seems an odd and random problem.

Might be worth checking Battery terminals and key fob Battery as mentioned. Might sort the issue out.

The problem happened again this morning. I videoed the dash for a minute (see video attached).

After another minute or two it decided to play ball.

I checked the Battery terminals which are fine. I'll get Lexus to check the key fob on Friday (I would of thought if it was that then the display would indicate key not detected?).

Cheers and thanks again for your replies. 

The video has been put through Handbrake to reduce it to a manageable 20Mb.

VID_20170111_092139a.mp4

19 minutes ago, capese21 said:

Most odd & must be very annoying and not what one expects from a Lexus.  On my GS I cannot even provoke it to do similar.

I hope they sort it out promptly.

Ed

Thanks Ed. 

Its is intermittent but at least I have some video evidence to show them if its not happening on Friday!

Will update the thread then.

Update.

Lexus Bristol have diagnosed the problem as a bad cell in the conventional 12V Battery. New Battery being ordered and fitted tomorrow morning.

Apparently the Battery was outputting about 9.9V which was barely enough to start it? I also noticed some strange behaviour on the screen on the way to Lexus. It wasn't linking to my phone via Bluetooth and when I tried to link it manually some options became unresponsive on screen. All linked apparently to the Battery issue. 

So there you go.

Hopefully this thread might help someone in the future.

Cheers.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, purse3223 said:

Apparently the battery was outputting about 9.9V which was barely enough to start it?

That makes sense. The 12v Battery only powers the electronics it doesn't start the engine,  so a low voltage would potentially cause odd faults. Seems odd that it was intermittent though and worked after a few attempts:unsure:

Thanks for posting the outcome.

Ed

after reading this post i had the same issue today ,i havent been out in my car since xmas and today when i pressed the start

button i had the the park message, the needles flicking and the dash lights flashing on and off this is due to my aux Battery going flat,

i bought the cheapest 12v car Battery i could this morning to power up the electronics and with this Battery connected i am charging the boot

Battery off the car..

this is where i am grateful to forums like this where members share info

• Like 1

i dont think the Battery is a weak point as such but one reason why it will go flat is that the

keyless entry system is always operational and is always searching for your key to come near

if i had thought about it i am sure i've seen an option to turn the keyless entry off

this would of saved power.

i did search the net to see the cost of a Battery and they are in the region of £250 so quite expensive

and this price wasn't from lexus.

I think the issue is that the Battery is not much more than a motorcycle sized one, which is all that is required normally, so gets used quite heavily with seat heaters, lights being left on etc.

Didn't realise it would be £250 though, will need to make sure my next one has a long guarantee on it.

I thought with the hybrid system on all electrical demand was met by the traction Battery? The 12 volt Battery only supplies the entry system and the initial startup of the control modules.

Having the seat heaters and such on would only drain the 12v Battery if the car was on accessory mode?