Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New buyer: Lexus GS450h 3rd generation, pre-facelift vs post facelift

Jamie,

Glad you are enjoying it. Be careful the speed doesn't creep up too quickly and you don't notice because it is quieter. Very easy to do.

I'll try and answer the locking problem as I was misled by the salesman and it was a year before I found the deadlock bit.

Imagine the car is locked. With key in pocket you walk up to it and pull the handle not touching the little black button. You may have to let go and pull a second time if you are too quick. If you are slow you will hear it unlock before you pull the handle. If the door you open is the driver's door the seat, wing mirrors and steering wheel will go to your chosen positions if you have set them for the key. (The other key can have completely different settings.) None of the other doors will unlock.

If you open any door other than the driver's, all doors unlock but driver's setting will not happen even when you open the driver's door. You will have to set them using the little buttons in the door just above the window buttons.

When you leave the car and want to lock it, with key in pocket shut the door and press the little black button on the handle. You will hear the doors lock and the various lights flash. Press a second time to set the dead locks.

Of course you could use the buttons on the key fob to unlock and lock and dead lock. I personally don't since I believe this will protect me from a scam that has been operating certainly in Oxfordshire car parks. Flood the area with the right frequency RF and it saturates the car's receiver so it can't respond to your fob's signal. Unless you spot that the lights didn't flash you go shopping or whatever thinking the car is locked. Theives then nick your car and worse the insurance may refuse to pay as car was left unlocked.

Others will answer the other questions.

I'm off to see Endeavour..

John

1 hour ago, HenryHippo said:

Picked her up today. What a machine!

Owners manual is thick enough to be a JK Rowling book, even the condensed manual is bigger than my first car.

Finally get the hang of the handbrake and hybrid system (coming for a manual). Finding myself choosing parking spots a bit more carefully now as she isn't a slim car

Making good use of the 292/ 342 ponnies, the speed does creep up very quickly

One thing I'm struggling with is the locking system.

I lock the car then before walking away I check the doors are locked and they open. I repeated the exercise, but walked away from the car and had someone else try and open it, which didn't work. Presumably the locking doesn't activate until the key is well clear of the vehicle?

Also, can someone please explain why she has a CVT transmission, but I get the choice of 6 gears if I want to drive it manually? I take it these are 6 pre set ratios?

Does it have a trip computer so I can see my MPG ?

Have fun with the car but as ive stated in one of my previous posts to really enjoy it you need to drive to Germany. Then you will rediscover it and will know how much are you missing in UK :)

there are 3 ways to check if car is closed:

- look at turn signal flasheh

- hear for lock click

- finally you can try to open the door as you mentioned. Trick is you need to grab the handle without touching part facing the car. Just grab it from top and bottom and pull. There is a sensor on the inside which won't get activated it that way.

aditionally when you are closing doors with black button on the doors there will be sound alert if lock was unsucesful - like doors are not closed correctly or fob is not in range. For the key fob range I've also noticed that if it is next to Iphone 7 it doesn't work sometimes - keep the phone in different pocket :)

6 manual options are for driving downhill. It won't change any ratio in the gearbox but force the hybrid system to charge the Battery and slow down the car. You will have same effect by gently applying brake pedal but on longer downhill it is not convenient.

yes you can see mpg just use the button on the steering wheel. There is also graph you can take look. In the power flow screen tap on the consumption or something like that.

• Like 1

The door unlock settings can be set by owner to open just drivers door, i think both fronts or all doors. It is in the weighty tomb of a handbook .I only found out recently myself when it was accidentally changed so would only unlock drivers door. As has been previously mentioned the speed can take you by surprise. Enjoy.

Lovely, thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to come

Yes, already I want to do a German autobahn trip. A friend of mine has a high powered BMW, would be a lot of fun!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

Lovely, thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to come

Yes, already I want to do a German autobahn trip. A friend of mine has a high powered BMW, would be a lot of fun!

Jamie,

The 450h is not a fun car!

The Autobahn`s are only derestricted for certain lengths,

150 mph is the speed at which a civilian aircraft takes off,

the German Police approach at speeds it is difficult to comprehend and

you will need European Insurance cover .

Do take great care and return safely to let us all know of your experiences!

Oh, and the toilets are not free !!

Regards

John

Alternatively, take the Steam Packet to the IoM and have some fun up over the mountain!  Actually, thinking on that one, it probably isn't the best place for a GS as corners come up pretty fast from 150mph!  (I have ridden my motorbike at 150mph+ speeds there though and it was a fab experience).  The JK Rowling manual I think has a section on the menu systems and you should be able to access mpg data on both the main screen (trip info) and via the steering wheel for the dash display (real time and average).

The locks sound like they need to be checked for configuration. I set mine so that the key locked/unlocked all doors, as did the touch of the black door handle button.

CVT takes some getting used to and has come in for plenty of stick from motoring journalists, some of which is fair comment, some of which is not.  It works by varying the transmission to pick up speed whilst holding the engine at optimum torque, so in theory is an efficient means of transmission.  That is further helped by the transmission being mechanically simpler (a lot simpler) than a conventional auto box, which makes it lighter, and with fewer frictional losses, again helping efficiency (and reliability).  The downsides are that it does tend to drone a bit when you press the "go" pedal and the revs won't climb and fall like a conventional manual or auto transmission, at least not past a certain point. 

This does change the driving characteristic to some extent and robs the driver of the freedom to choose whether to drive on torque or demand max power/revs from the off and have a bit of fun.  I do find that it limits car control compared to a normal transmission though which is one of the more pertinent good reasons that some motoring journalists dislike it, but lets face it, we're not talking about a track-day car, we're talking about a road going vehicle.  Whilst the "shift" control is marketed ostensibly as a hill descent transmission control to maximise engine braking, it can also be used very effectively to address the lack of choice on picking a gear/revs for car control in the twisties.  You can down-shift and keep higher revs for longer to hold the car in the power band you want rather than leave in auto and have to go in on the brakes.  For rapid cross country progress, it is less fuel efficient, but slow for the corner well before hand, drop the "gear" to pick up/hold the revs and you can keep the car balanced and on power all the way round a corner for more spirited driving and make more rapid progress this way.  It just takes a bit of adjusting to, but there will be some people that wont get on with it and that's understandable.

You do have to re-tune your ears and brain. On the plus side, it is a more relaxing way to make progress and there's no shortage of performance on tap, it's just that it's delivered without all the shouting and attention seeking of a conventional set-up and will see speed pick up without your realising, especially in the 450h!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Jamie,

The 450h is not a fun car!

The Autobahn`s are only derestricted for certain lengths,

150 mph is the speed at which a civilian aircraft takes off,

the German Police approach at speeds it is difficult to comprehend and

you will need European Insurance cover .

Do take great care and return safely to let us all know of your experiences!

Oh, and the toilets are not free !!

Regards

John

Of course, lots of respect for the autobahn. Didn't know about the chargeable toilets though

Contacted my local Lexus dealer today to ask for the inspection, is this the same thing as the "Visual safety check?"

We’re happy to book you in for the Visual safety check on the vehicle where the technicians will be happy to look at your vehicle visuals and give you an update. This is a complimentary free of charge check-up for customers with a courtesy wash & vac included.

I’m also happy to discuss about extended warranty for your vehicle.

I will need to take your details of the vehicle registration number and your current mileage and when the vehicle was last serviced in order to give you a quote.

Visual safety check has nothing to do with the warranty I believe. This check is only about visually checking if your car is safe to drive - tyres condition, lights, wipers, fluids level, maybe breaks lines leaks etc. I would call it small mot :) of course it is nice to do it but it won't detect too much especially if you know anything about the car and not treat it as self drive cab.

as for the warranty I haven't bought it but I assume they must do some more check like drive the car and connect some servicing equipment to check presence/history of any errors.

2 hours ago, Hangie said:

Visual safety check has nothing to do with the warranty I believe. This check is only about visually checking if your car is safe to drive - tyres condition, lights, wipers, fluids level, maybe breaks lines leaks etc. I would call it small mot :) of course it is nice to do it but it won't detect too much especially if you know anything about the car and not treat it as self drive cab.

as for the warranty I haven't bought it but I assume they must do some more check like drive the car and connect some servicing equipment to check presence/history of any errors.

I am afraid to say that this is inaccurate.

The visual safety check is the only requirement for getting an extended warranty.  Although, even though it is called visual, they do connect it up to the computer to see if there are any errors.

Sometimes, if the car has a full Lexus service history, they will forgo the check and sell you the warranty without even seeing the car.

Perhaps this is because they do the exact same check when you take the car in for a service.  They give you the sheet afterwards with the results.

I have been told that my car can't be considered for the extended warranty because it is over 10 years old.

However it is a 57 plate, so doesn't turn 10 until September

Has the dealer made a mistake when they told me it isn't eligible or is this sadly correct?

7 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

I have been told that my car can't be considered for the extended warranty because it is over 10 years old.

However it is a 57 plate, so doesn't turn 10 until September

Has the dealer made a mistake when they told me it isn't eligible or is this sadly correct?

10 years from date of first registration is the key.

Regards

John

Just now, royoftherovers said:

10 years from date of first registration is the key.

Regards

John

Thanks John, so I should be ok to get the warranty and the reception girl made a mistake?

RE the full inspection you recommended I get after buying from trade, what would I need to ask Lexus for in order to achieve this?

Cheers

On 1/8/2017 at 8:04 PM, royoftherovers said:

Many thanks Jamie.

I apologise if I am telling you something you already know, but;

If you buy from an Official Lexus Dealer, then you will probably receive a free 12 month fairly comprenensive warranty, at the end of which ,assuming that your car is not then more than 10 years old or has covered more than 140,000 miles you currently have the opportunity to purchase an Official Lexus Extended 2 year Warranty which will cover most things (but not wear and tear items) and which will include the Hybrid Battery.This could take your car  to say, 12 years old and 160,000 miles.

If you buy from a Dealer/Trader, he will give you some kind of warranty,which in practice not be worth a great deal and will not cover any defects which were present when you bought the car from him.

The Dealer/Trader is however required to honour a Statutory Warranty which under the Sale Of Goods Act as amended by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires him to fix at his cost any significant defect which occurs within 6 months of purchase or was present or occurring at the point of sale.

In the event of you buying from such Dealer/Trader I would advise you to take your new purchase to the nearest Lexus Dealer and ask them to examine the vehicle, state in writing such  defects as are apparent to them.You can then return to the Dealer/Trader and request that he fix them at his cost.

If you purchase from a Private Seller, then you must take along someone who can assist you to be satisfied that the vehicle is not "a lemon." The Private Seller is unlikely to be in any position to provide you with any kind of warranty, so you will be very much on your own in the event of having to spend money on repairs. Unless, of course you can prove that the seller mislead you and concealed from you defects of which he was aware,but did not disclose to you. A minefield that is !!

Jamie, I hope that you find the above useful and once again I apologise "if I`m trying teach you to suck eggs."

I wish you well in your venture to find a suitable Lexus and do hope that you will keep us all informed of your progress.

Regards

John

I'm referring to John's comment above ^^

2 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

I'm referring to John's comment above ^^

Sorry for the delay Jamie....I have been out to lunch with two old friends of the past 50 years.Even full time Retirees need to relax occasionally !!

What I meant was;

1. Ask Lexus to identify and put into writing any matters which would prevent them from providing you with an Extended Warranty.

2. Take these matters to the Dealer who sold you the car and ask him to repair/replace at his own cost.He may even ask Lexus to effect some of the matters, if you are fortunate.

3. When all matters fixed then return to Lexus and ask for the Extended Warranty.

Hope all goes well.

Good  luck.

Regards

John

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Sorry for the delay Jamie....I have been out to lunch with two old friends of the past 50 years.Even full time Retirees need to relax occasionally !!

What I meant was;

1. Ask Lexus to identify and put into writing any matters which would prevent them from providing you with an Extended Warranty.

2. Take these matters to the Dealer who sold you the car and ask him to repair/replace at his own cost.He may even ask Lexus to effect some of the matters, if you are fortunate.

3. When all matters fixed then return to Lexus and ask for the Extended Warranty.

Hope all goes well.

Good  luck.

Regards

John

Got it, thanks John.

I have got in touch with Lexus and they have advised me to take their full £595 service, but also said the £399 Essential Care service could be done too.

She hasn't been serviced since Feb 15, but only done 5k miles. Would it be prudent to get the more expensive of the two?

12 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

Got it, thanks John.

I have got in touch with Lexus and they have advised me to take their full £595 service, but also said the £399 Essential Care service could be done too.

She hasn't been serviced since Feb 15, but only done 5k miles. Would it be prudent to get the more expensive of the two?

Whichever is likely to reveal the most faults and get you entry into the Extended Warranty Scheme, my friend !

Regards

John

Download the brochure from the Lexus website which shows you the difference between the full and essential service.  Then you can decide if the extra items are worth the cost.

Both services include the visual safety check, so either should suffice for the extended warranty.

And I know there are pictures on the autotrader advert, but that is no excuse for not posting some better quality ones yourself. :smile: 

• Like 1

Based on my experience with Lexus Guildford there is few technical differences between essential and standard ones like:

- Tighten prop shaft

- 4 wheel alignment check

- Some more liquids are included - like diff oil, transfer oil,

- Inspect glass and lenses

- change key fob Battery

- Check condenser

- Check fuel lines

- Diesel smoke test

- I don't know if there is an difference but essential is using word "Check" while Full price is "Inspecting". Maybe some native speakers could explain is there is a real difference or is it just wording.

PLUS

- You will get proper stamp into service book. For essential service they are giving out some small piece of paper with info that car undergone essential service

- You will get courtesy car if needed with full price one

There might be some more in background like maybe more senior mechanics are getting full price ones but it is just an assumption.

• Like 1

"Check" often refers to just a visual check on condition for wear or obvious defects.

"Inspect" is more thorough and usually implies measurement against a standard. 

For example, a check on wheel alignment might be something as simple as a visual inspection of tyre wear, which often throws up obvious significant wheel alignment problems.  A wheel alignment inspection infers setting a vehicle up on a wheel alignment jig and measuring alignment against a specified set of parameters and reporting on tolerance.

Subtle but distinct differences.  I'm sure that a Lexus service person would be able to confirm the specifics for the differences between their Essential and Standard service plans.

As the cost difference is significant, it implies more labour, so would point towards more work which might throw up faults or defects that a simple visual check might not.

• Like 1