Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New buyer: Lexus GS450h 3rd generation, pre-facelift vs post facelift

2 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

Nice. Take it you don't have the luxury of going to your nearest dealer now?

Yes it's serviced at my local dealer, as far as I'm aware if you have a service plan in place you can choose any dealer to service it. 👍

Had a similar issue with my 2007 GS300. Took it to Lexus and it turned out to be a software issue on the self-closing mechanism.  A quick re-flash of the ECU and problem solved.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Had a similar issue with my 2007 GS300. Took it to Lexus and it turned out to be a software issue on the self-closing mechanism.  A quick re-flash of the ECU and problem solved.

Nice, under warranty? If not, how much did it cost?

Well, that is strange.

Any evidence of the left side taking a knock?  It looks like the point has starting rusting as well?  Has the light fitting moved as well?

Is it not locking properly, or does it just look like it is open when you close it?

Unless it is a failure of the locking mechanism, the warranty is not going to help you since it doesn't cover trim.

Mine was done for a minimal charge (about £20 from memory) for diagnosis and re-flashing the ECU.  That, from the photos looks like it has been in a knock, but whatever, it doesn't look right at all.  Compare the panel gaps and alignment.  The left side shows panels out of alignment whilst the right shows them in alignment, as if a poor repair has historically been done.  If it was working and isn't working now, that and some of the fault codes would be enough for me.  Speculation aside, I'd be wanting to know from the seller if that car's had some history not declared at point of sale, and if so, asking for a refund.

5 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Well, that is strange.

Any evidence of the left side taking a knock?  It looks like the point has starting rusting as well?  Has the light fitting moved as well?

Is it not locking properly, or does it just look like it is open when you close it?

Unless it is a failure of the locking mechanism, the warranty is not going to help you since it doesn't cover trim.

No such evidence of a bump and the light fitting is ok. I'm always very gentle closing boots and doors too (on any car). Have turned off the boot light though, to prevent the car getting a flat Battery

Well it isn't locked. If I lock the car and then attempt to open the boot then I can (the alarm does go off though). When I was driving, the open boot alarm came on intermittently too

Shame about the warranty. Seems to be a case of a serious fault that the dealer masked from me

5 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Mine was done for a minimal charge (about £20 from memory) for diagnosis and re-flashing the ECU.  That, from the photos looks like it has been in a knock, but whatever, it doesn't look right at all.  Compare the panel gaps and alignment.  The left side shows panels out of alignment whilst the right shows them in alignment, as if a poor repair has historically been done.  If it was working and isn't working now, that and some of the fault codes would be enough for me.  Speculation aside, I'd be wanting to know from the seller if that car's had some history not declared at point of sale, and if so, asking for a refund.

Can you explain the in bold please?

Starting to worry now that it was in an accident, poorly repaired, and then the dealer I brought it from did a quick fix, knowing it would stop working soon after sale

Mixed up with another post, so neglect the wording in bold.  Long and short of it:  in your shoes, I'd be beating a path back to the dealer/person I bought it from pointing out the panel fit issues and the other teething issues and asking for a refund because that panel fit issue suggests it many have been in an accident, and if I thought for a second, someone was holding back on me, I'd be after my money back. Did you do an HPI check and see if it had been subject of an accident repair sometime in its history? Just a thought. 

29 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Mixed up with another post, so neglect the wording in bold.  Long and short of it:  in your shoes, I'd be beating a path back to the dealer/person I bought it from pointing out the panel fit issues and the other teething issues and asking for a refund because that panel fit issue suggests it many have been in an accident, and if I thought for a second, someone was holding back on me, I'd be after my money back. Did you do an HPI check and see if it had been subject of an accident repair sometime in its history? Just a thought. 

Do they have to give me a refund just because I ask? I think it unlikely this guys would give me money back on good faith

No, the dealers told me it was HPI clear, and I don't think they risk their reputation by lying about something like that. In hindsight they must have meant it was not a stolen car, rather than once in an accident.

If it was a light shunt and the car was fully repaired it wouldn't bother me. It just doesn't bode well that a repair has been poorly done

Your statutory rights are not affected.  If that car was in an accident which they later failed to disclose, you may be entitled to your money back if you'd not have bought the car knowing it's history in the first place.  If you are not happy with the car, and there is a problem with it, it's the commercial seller who needs to be sorting those problems out for you and offering a full explanation.  If they refuse, I'd be tempted to get a full inspection done for peace of mind, and if it throws up the it has been subject of a poor repair, I'd most certainly be looking for my money back under my consumer rights (Sale of Goods Act), or a satisfactory repair.  Up to you really, but I'd not be happy in your shoes and leave it back for them to repair and to offer an explanation for that panel fit issue.

29 minutes ago, HenryHippo said:

Do they have to give me a refund just because I ask? I think it unlikely this guys would give me money back on good faith

No, the dealers told me it was HPI clear, and I don't think they risk their reputation by lying about something like that. In hindsight they must have meant it was not a stolen car, rather than once in an accident.

If it was a light shunt and the car was fully repaired it wouldn't bother me. It just doesn't bode well that a repair has been poorly done

No they don't mate, but I'm assuming is a Lexus dealership? If there are defects that are present, I would certainly raise it with them. 

18 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Your statutory rights are not affected.  If that car was in an accident which they later failed to disclose, you may be entitled to your money back if you'd not have bought the car knowing it's history in the first place.  If you are not happy with the car, and there is a problem with it, it's the commercial seller who needs to be sorting those problems out for you and offering a full explanation.  If they refuse, I'd be tempted to get a full inspection done for peace of mind, and if it throws up the it has been subject of a poor repair, I'd most certainly be looking for my money back under my consumer rights (Sale of Goods Act), or a satisfactory repair.  Up to you really, but I'd not be happy in your shoes and leave it back for them to repair and to offer an explanation for that panel fit issue.

The only way he would be entitled to a refund if the car has been in an accident that has been recorded (cat d etc) and not been disclosed, car dealerships are not legally obliged to disclose any repairs etc unless you ask, even then they may still not know the full history of the car. 

If there really are issues that need to be addressed you need to get a full inspection done like GSLVS says, but take in mind your still not entitled to a refund only a repair if its deemed not as described. The garage is within there rights to say you test drove and inspected the car and where happy with it, the only way around this its its not fit for purpose. For example it keeps on breaking down etc lol

If its a Lexus dealership you need to take the car to them and complain about the poor workmanship, you have a 30 day exchange period also with Lexus. Good luck  :yes:

18 minutes ago, hprice1099 said:

The only way he would be entitled to a refund if the car has been in an accident that has been recorded (cat d etc) and not been disclosed, car dealerships are not legally obliged to disclose any repairs etc unless you ask, even then they may still not know the full history of the car. 

If there really are issues that need to be addressed you need to get a full inspection done like GSLVS says, but take in mind your still not entitled to a refund only a repair if its deemed not as described. The garage is within there rights to say you test drove and inspected the car and where happy with it, the only way around this its its not fit for purpose. For example it keeps on breaking down etc lol

If its a Lexus dealership you need to take the car to them and complain about the poor workmanship, you have a 30 day exchange period also with Lexus. Good luck  :yes:

Yes, absolutely correct. I was referring to any outstanding damage (ie the boot lid not closing and the obvious panel gap) meaning he's legally entitled to a repair.  Yes, a Cat C or D has to be disclosed, not minor repairs.  A full inspection, given the things that have cropped up, would be wise and give peace of mind if nothing else.  Some garages offer a 7 or 14 day "cooling off" period, within which you are entitled to a refund if you change your mind about the car.  Our last car was bought with this cooling off clause in the contract of sale.  That is usually verbally spelt out at the time of sale.

26 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Yes, absolutely correct. I was referring to any outstanding damage (ie the boot lid not closing and the obvious panel gap) meaning he's legally entitled to a repair.  Yes, a Cat C or D has to be disclosed, not minor repairs.  A full inspection, given the things that have cropped up, would be wise and give peace of mind if nothing else.  Some garages offer a 7 or 14 day "cooling off" period, within which you are entitled to a refund if you change your mind about the car.  Our last car was bought with this cooling off clause in the contract of sale.  That is usually verbally spelt out at the time of sale.

I totally agree, I would be fuming also. I'm playing devils advocate with what I'm saying and what the said garage say, with a boot not closing I agree that is something that must be fixed. With the panels being out I'd imagine they won't do anything, they will just say its an acceptable repair. Even though I personally totally disagree with it. 

If they don't fix any of it I would be seeking legal advice and taking them to the small claims court, after a full review from Lexus as to the issues :) 

From what I have read, you can return a car to a dealer within 30 days if it isn't of satisfactory quality:

"Under the Consumer Rights Act, if a fault renders the product not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described, then the buyer is entitled to reject it within the first 30 days."

Having said that, if it has had a small knock, then that in itself is not unreasonable for a 9 year old car.  However, if the damage is severe enough that it stops the boot from closing properly, then that might not be the case.

Perhaps all that is required is the boot to be adjusted so it can close properly?

Also, since the dealer told you it was HPi clear, if you run the check and find that that isn't the case, you can return the car for a refund.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, reassuring to hear that it is going to be in the dealers best interests to fix this and keep the sale

Had a friend look at it today and they reckon it's the latch and the out of place plastic trim isn't affecting it. I suppose that is preferable

Left a message with the dealer's receptionist this afternoon, will follow up in the morning.

Dealer called me back and is going to arrange a repair at an approved garage they use near to my home, which sounds good

RE the warranty, I contacted a few places and got £100 off (down to £995)

Do people buy the service plans, or just buy services as and when required?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HenryHippo said:

Dealer called me back and is going to arrange a repair at an approved garage they use near to my home, which sounds good

RE the warranty, I contacted a few places and got £100 off (down to £995)

Do people buy the service plans, or just buy services as and when required?

Good news, looks like its getting sorted. Told you alway a discount to be had lol I taken a service plan out at £49 per month to cover 3 services, I only done this because I got 3 Lexus services at the price of the essential service, saving £498.  

2 hours ago, hprice1099 said:

Good news, looks like its getting sorted. Told you alway a discount to be had lol I taken a service plan out at £49 per month to cover 3 services, I only done this because I got 3 Lexus services at the price of the essential service, saving £498.  

That's a great service plan you have. What is the name of said service plan please?

I am planning to go with the dealer who offered £995 and see if I can get them to move on the service plan price too

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links