Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any of you guys use Halfords to have your lexus serviced?

My next service will be a major at 30k. I've looked at the prices and a major service at Halfords is nearly half the price that lexus will charge. Do Halfords service the car to the exact same standards as lexus?  No doubt lexus know these cars inside out and know what to look for. The guys at Halfords have probably never even worked on a lexus before.

Also there is a Halfords service centre in my home town of hereford. If I go to lexus I have a long drive to either bristol, Wolverhampton or Birmingham. 

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Any of you guys use halfords to have your lexus serviced?

My next service will be a major at 30k. I've looked at the prices and a major service at halfords is nearly half the price that lexus will charge. Do halfords service the car to the exact same standards as lexus?  No doubt lexus know these cars inside out and know what to look for. The guys at halfords have probably never even worked on a lexus before.

Also there is a halfords service centre in my home town of hereford. If I go to lexus I have a long drive to either bristol, Wolverhampton or Birmingham. 

I also live in  North Herefordshire, and have the same problems with servicing.

You can however have the car serviced at the Westlands Toyota dealers at Callow south of Hereford. They will have the expertise to service Hybrids, and stock all the required service items such as filters plugs, and belts as most Lexus engines ect are Toyota parts. The work will also be deemed as carried out by Lexus. The prices charged by Toyota dealers is usually lower than Lexus dealers. You also get the mini valet after the service, and coffee with biscuits if you wish to wait for the car. They also do a free collection and delivery service from your home or work. Do not use Halfords!

Lexus informed me that Toyota dealers can even carry out Lexus recall work.

John.

• Like 1

Having the car serviced at Toyota/Lexus at only 30,000 miles gives the advantage of having a recognized dealer stamp in the service book. This adds both value, and sale ability to the car when it is sold. How often on here do we say to prospective buyers buy a car with a full dealer service history?

John.

I've had nothing but exemplary service from Lexus when having servicing done.  Halfords on the other hand managed to put a headlight bulb into a Mondeo for me upside down (fitting was free and I couldn't be bothered with skinning my knuckles that day!) - needless to say, I've not been near them since.

12 minutes ago, Britprius said:

How often on here do we say to prospective buyers buy a car with a full dealer service history?

and, just as good, known cars or pre-owned cars of the members of the forum.

Hi as discussed you pay your money and take your choice .Your Halfords service will only be as good as the guy who carries it out ,if you insist on keeping a lexus dealer stamp then you will have to pay the dealer prices ,the IS 250 is quite straight forward mechanically and my advice would be to find a local independent garage run by the owner who gets his hands dirty and listens to what you want ,most of the check list is inspect items so a 30,000 service boils down to   Change oil and filter; inspect/replace air filter ;inspect /replace pollen filter .All other items should be inspected and checked as a competent mechanic works his way round the vehicle .I would also check and grease the calliper slider pins front and rear ( not on the Lexus schedule) but they will seize if left .This will save you a lot of money on the service ,start a folder and save all receipts for future proof on resale .I am not impressed by the service from most main dealers whatever the make and do all my own servicing and have done so for the last 50 years .I have never had any problem selling a car with a full folder of receipts and MOT certs

Dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Britprius said:

I also live in  North Herefordshire, and have the same problems with servicing.

You can however have the car serviced at the Westlands Toyota dealers at Callow south of Hereford. They will have the expertise to service Hybrids, and stock all the required service items such as filters plugs, and belts as most Lexus engines ect are Toyota parts. The work will also be deemed as carried out by Lexus. The prices charged by Toyota dealers is usually lower than Lexus dealers. You also get the mini valet after the service, and coffee with biscuits if you wish to wait for the car. They also do a free collection and delivery service from your home or work. Do not use Halfords!

Lexus informed me that Toyota dealers can even carry out Lexus recall work.

John.

Strange you say they can do recall work. Brotherinlaw i live with has already had the air bag work done. { Avensis 2004 } When i asked Lexus about having

the Lexus done there was told a great big no. Toyota dealer less than 3 miles away. Work took one and a half hours same side air bag as ours.

12 hours ago, Rebecca said:

My next service will be a major at 30k. I've looked at the prices and a major service at halfords is nearly half the price that lexus will charge. Do halfords service the car to the exact same standards as lexus?  No doubt lexus know these cars inside out and know what to look for. The guys at halfords have probably never even worked on a lexus before.

Also there is a halfords service centre in my home town of hereford. If I go to lexus I have a long drive to either bristol, Wolverhampton or Birmingham. 

12 hours ago, Rebecca said:

You must have a mechanic near you who can service your car. Major 30,000 consists of what?? Look at this and check that, i would say 0il & all filters

about £70.00 in parts. New belt circa £15.00 check the brakes change brake fluid about another £100.00. if your quoted circa £300.00 would not be to bad.

Also a change of anti freeze would be a good idea. My mates honda civic diesel costs about £400.00 at dealers god knows what for. Garage who do the

work can still stamp your book. And you will also have the paper work for work done. You never know you may come to trust and love them.

Just remember whoever does pollen filter does it the correct way. You dont have a spark plug change till 60.000 miles that is a big bill.

As two posters above. Do my own work, have done for decades, resale values mean nothing to me.

My cars are kept until end-of-life usually so aren't worth mega bucks when I sell them on.

• Like 1

I do all the work i can, helps i work in a place where i have access to power tools and Pits are also a big help. I am self taught and have done

most things, changed engines clutches brakes exhausts suspension. But dont suppose Rebecca has access to or done the basics.

I am not having a go at you either. As i said you must know somebody who has a car fixed by a mechanic. Ask question does the car come back clean

are you satisfied with the work. Are they reasonable hourly rate, the larger the place the larger the over heads?? Have a look on google where you live,

go and see them get a gut reaction. Are tool thrown all over avoid like the plague, Cleanliness is order of the day? Mechanics tools cost a lot money so

any body who is not bothered about his tools, does not want to be working on your car.

Well I've just spoken to westlands toyota and was quoted £75 leas than lexus Wolverhampton and they assured me the service would be carried out to the exact same standards as lexus. OK so I don't get the lovely froffy coffee and Danish pastries but hey its £75 in my pocket.

Anyway I've booked it in for 2 weeks time as I'm driving to Scotland early February for a short hiking holiday in the cairngorms and at least I'll have peace of mind knowing my car will be in tip top condition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Well I've just spoken to westlands toyota and was quoted £75 leas than lexus Wolverhampton and they assured me the service would be carried out to the exact same standards as lexus. OK so I don't get the lovely froffy coffee and Danish pastries but hey its £75 in my pocket.

Anyway I've booked it in for 2 weeks time as I'm driving to Scotland early February for a short hiking holiday in the cairngorms and at least I'll have peace of mind knowing my car will be in tip top condition. 

Good for you and yes it will be done properly, make sure they stamp your service book.

I would suggest that if you're not using Lexus / Toyota to preserve the main dealer FSH stamps in the book then use a good and recommended local to you, independent.

My only experience of Halfords was some years ago asking them to change a headlamp bulb in my Mazda 323 f ( poppy up headlights ) and the operative just couldn't do it !  He gave up and refunded the charge they make for such things  ( it's NOT free ).

A good independent should save you a fortune on main dealer prices.

Malc

While I agree that money can be saved by servicing the car yourself or going to your local trusted garage it is not everyone that has the tools, space, or knowledge to do there own work.

If you keep your car till it falls apart again you do not worry about service stamps.

The poster that started the thread is a young lady "ok some ladies do service cars" and is unlikely to want to crawl under a car this time of year, and may well be an owner that changes her car every 4 or 5 years so service stamps could be important. One size does not fit all.

John  

Lol not this young lady britprius I'm still trying to figure out how to open the bonnet 😅

I did actually watch a youtube video last night on how to change the cabin filter and it looks remarkably easy. I think I could actually do that.

Not really that fussed on the service stamp to be honest as have no intention of changing my lovely 250 for a very long time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Lol not this young lady britprius I'm still trying to figure out how to open the bonnet 😅

I did actually watch a youtube video last night on how to change the cabin filter and it looks remarkably easy. I think I could actually do that.

Not really that fussed on the service stamp to be honest as have no intention of changing my lovely 250 for a very long time.

No body is mocking you Rebecca, i have brothers who have no incline whats so ever. As above states horses for courses, i would get the stamp for one reason.

Its a low mileage car so i would insist on it to be honest. I am like gary keep my cars a while as a rule. Service them roughly 5,000 miles check the brakes

twice a year when winters come off march. And november when they go back on, when i do oil change i change all filters. My choice before arguments start.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Have a go. I respect people that are willing to try. The basic maintenance of a car is not rocket science but I get it that not everyone has the interest or the aptitude.

Britprius....I keep my cars for years, they never fall apart:boxing:, well none have so far :lol:

I service our cars. Both my daughters 107 and C1 and my lads Getz, however my wife and I have both purchased new / nearly new so will go to the stealers for the stamps until a certain age when I will then take over. The stealer servicing is helped by a free service plan on one and monthly payments on the other. 

Please be careful and come to us if they suggest work requires completion. My dear old mum had a call 6 years ago from Toyota that she needed a new gearbox and water pump on her Yaris. This was complete rubbish, neither needed work and its still going strong today (12 years old) . They lost a customer.

I can repeat countless similar issues with other dealers over the last 35 years.

A decent Independent is worth its weight in gold for stuff that the average DIY'er cant do (perhaps cambelt etc) as a matter of fact I will often throw some minor work their way if I simply don't have time or my back's playing up.  

• Like 1