Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 front wheel feels loose.

Captain Kipper

Hi all

My 2009 IS250 with 18" Lexus alloys at 60k has a strange feeling at low speed manoeuvring.

when backing out of my drive or pulling forward out of a parking spot it feels like my front drivers side wheel is loose, especially on full lock.

Front wheel and hub are not loose.

There is no wine from the wheel balearing so I discounted that.

I checked the bottom ball joint and that also seemed fine, I decided to change it anyway but it hasn't made a difference.

could it be the upper control arm?

I can also hear a slight dull constant rattle when driving straight that gets clearer when I go round a right hand bend when the offside front is under less load.

any idea what my problem is?

Thanks

The rattle is likely to be the anti roll bar drop links. I would change both sides together if it is the case. The only real way to tell if they are worn is to disconnect one end on each side. If either of the two ball joints on each end of the links moves freely then that link needs replacing. 

A number of people have noticed the "loose" feeling you are getting, and it seems to be caused by the tyres "generally Dunlop".

John

I read in some other place people reporting a weird 'hopping' sensation when manoeuvring, and that was because of the type of tyres (I think it was on a Mercedes, so big tyres I guess). If not the drop links, could the rattle could be brake pads?

Ah, here is part of that story; linky

1 minute ago, gdh300 said:

I read in some other place people reporting a weird 'hopping' sensation when manoeuvring, and that was because of the type of tyres (I think it was on a Mercedes, so big tyres I guess). If not the drop links, could the rattle could be brake pads?

Ah, here is part of that story; linky

Can't see it being the break pads, there's an obvious movent, slight jump as if the tyre has gone over a large stone and popped it out of the side.... difficult to explain really.

Tim

i get the hopping Glyn mentioned on mine.  It is fitted with Dunlop tyres, although there are several threads on here where others have different brands of tyre and it is still happening.

Only happens on full lock, and when it is cold.

Although I am not sure this is what you are experiencing based on your description.

Mine will 'skip' and make a rubbery popping noise when it tries to turn.

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

i get the hopping Glyn mentioned on mine.  It is fitted with Dunlop tyres, although there are several threads on here where others have different brands of tyre and it is still happening.

Only happens on full lock, and when it is cold.

Although I am not sure this is what you are experiencing based on your description.

Mine will 'skip' and make a rubbery popping noise when it tries to turn.

Hi

yes, that does sound like mine, worse when cold and on full lock.

Plenty of tread on them so it will be a while before I change them.

I usually go for Michelin but the car came with fairly new Pirellis.

Have you also got the 18" wheels?

Tim

No, mine are the standard 17's.

I had it last year as well, but it went away when the temperature increased.

It is annoying, but it seems to do no harm.  Although I will try probably try some different tyres next time.  I do like the Dunlops though cause the dealer keeps them in stock at a reasonable price.

could potentially be the bush in this listing....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS220D-IS250-IS350-ISF-05-FRONT-BOTTOM-LOWER-WISHBONE-CONTROL-ARM-BUSH-x1-/181457878538?hash=item2a3fbb7e0a:g:G6QAAOSwDk5Tt-qU

When the equivalent bush on my old GS was going home, it was most evident on full lock.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just change both front drop links and I still have the dull rattle, more so when

16 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

Are the arb bushes ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

They look ok, don't know how to check them.

how did you find out they were your problem?

My 460 skips in reverse when cold and damp, the tyre that does it is a Pirelli PZero, the other front tyre, a cheap horrible thing doesn't skip.. (new ones on order...)

I've had it on other modern cars as well, I think it's down to the kingpin inclination and it's effect on castor at, or near, full lock, it's as if they are messing with Ackermans arrangement and the loaded tyre is trying to take a tighter turn...

Don't worry about it...:thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've now got the knock sorted, it was the front right calliper having excessive movement causing a dull rattle, pins greased for now, that seems to have quiated  it down.

Mechanic said the pad retaining spring isn't very tight and pads could do with changing in a couple of thousand miles.

anyone know what make pads come with new springs?

europarts stock brembo but no memotion of springs coming with them.