Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT200H Excessive rear camber

LeighT

I've just test drove a CT with a view to buying it. On inspection the rear left wheel is noticeably misaligned a good couple of degrees off square, the inside 30mm of tyre is also heavily worn suggesting something has gone that's affecting the camber of the wheel. I jacked it up and the bearing feel solid, no play or movement in the wheel. Any thoughts as to what the most likely cause(s) are and the likely repair cost would be very welcome. It was the only issue that stopped me buying there and then, so held off until i've got better feel for whats going on.

IMG_0003.jpg

Well step one is don't test drive it again until the tyre is changed. Well beyond the legal limit so dangerous and as the driver you could be done with a £2500 fine and 3 points.

How long ago was the last MOT? That might give a clue as to how rapidly it has worn and if anything obvious was found amiss then. The rest of the tyre doesn't exactly look new so from the photo it isn't clear just how much more worn the inside has been over the rest.

CT's have independent rear suspension and are adjustable as far as I'm aware. It could be it simply got kerbed and needs a proper 4 wheel alignment done.

It seems most likely that this tyre/wheel was transferred from the front axle quite some time after the tracking had started to toe out. Either that or the car has been whacked and not properly repaired. Take a chance only on the strength of a big big discount. Who sells a car with such a seriously shot tell tale tyre? Surely it would have been worth a few quid to have bought a part worn to disguise the issue?

Thanks for that colin, I didn't drive far! The slightly odd thing about the history is it's been maintained by Lexus in Glasgow and is a ex fleet car, I would have expected them to spot something like this. It was last serviced by them in July 2016 and has since only done 3000 miles (but 118K total in 4 years). I suspect most of the last 6 months it's been sat a pound somewhere. I did call Lexus and they verified the car and its record but I couldn't speak to the service department. The vin matches the log book, hpi came back clear etc, etc. Like I say everything else looks really straight, but the wheel is obviously out of line and noticeable looking down the length of the car.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, LeighT said:

Thanks for that colin, I didn't drive far! The slightly odd thing about the history is it's been maintained by Lexus in Glasgow and is a ex fleet car, I would have expected them to spot something like this. It was last serviced by them in July 2016 and has since only done 3000 miles (but 118K total in 4 years). I suspect most of the last 6 months it's been sat a pound somewhere. I did call Lexus and they verified the car and its record but I couldn't speak to the service department. The vin matches the log book, hpi came back clear etc, etc. Like I say everything else looks really straight, but the wheel is obviously out of line and noticeable looking down the length of the car.

Misaligned tyres can be caused by bumps and potholes, nothing to worry about, just get it re-aligned.

It would have shown up on the service visual checklist as inner edge wear. Bet the owner didnt keep it.

Looks like it's been heavily kerbed. If the rear wheel is visibly out of line, then I would suggest rear suspension links have been bent during the impact. 

Have you pointed it out to them?  If you have any doubts, walk away. Otherwise, ask them to do alignment check & confirm suspension links are OK. I would also ask for 4 new tyres. If you're buying from Lexus, you have a 30-day no quibble money back guarantee.