Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT200H nausea?

paulyuk6

Hi folks

This is a bit of an unusual question!

I've only had my CT200H Advance 2014  for a week, but I am finding that after driving it for about 10 minutes I start feeling slightly nauseous. It's like car sickness when you are a kid.  After driving, it takes about an hour before the feeling wears off. It's very strange!

As anyone else experienced this?

After writing the above, I was reading some of the other forums (for Hybrid cars) and discovered that this is not an uncommon problem.  Some people put it down to the large batteries, others blame the shape of the windscreen, or the lack of engine noise. Most of these seem pretty unlikely to me, so I was wondering if anyone else might know the cause of this?

all the best

Paul

• Like 1

Hi, never heard of this or any issues with mine. Have you had chance to carry a passenger? I mean if they get it too it could be something off with the car but if its just you then as you say it may be a specific thing relating to the hybrid style. 

The wife hasn't mentioned it yet, but I've noticed it a few times.     

Quite a few people have reported it in other forums. Here are some of the links to them:

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/showthread.php?98757-Does-anyone-get-a-mild-dizziness.../page4

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/454952-i-get-dizzy-vertigo-when-i-drive-our-new-car.html

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lexus-ct200h-engine-technical-discussion/117459-hybrid-risk.html

https://priuschat.com/threads/motion-sickness.123702/

and I can find plenty more like that!   I'm hoping that it is something that I'll eventually get used to, but it is quite an unpleasant feeling.
All the best

Paul

I suffered from terrible car sickness as a child, but only as a back seat passenger. It was something to do with not being able to see forwards. If seated in front it never bothered me and once I started to drive I never experienced it again. Can't say I've noticed anything like it with the CT thank goodness, had mine a year now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, thar said:

I suffered from terrible car sickness as a child, but only as a back seat passenger. It was something to do with not being able to see forwards. If seated in front it never bothered me and once I started to drive I never experienced it again. Can't say I've noticed anything like it with the CT thank goodness, had mine a year now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes I get mild car sickness if looking downwards when a car is moving, perhaps at a book or something. I don't get it if my eyes can see what my brain knows is going on!

Nausea can be caused by a few things, check the windscreen is clear for a start. Some valeters tend to clean the windscreen poorly and instead leave smears which cause the eyes to strain, hence can cause glare and eventually nausea.

It may be due to the relatively firm ride and poor road surfaces as well, especially if you're previous car was more cossetting. Other factors could be claustrophobia. The CT is fairly enclosed and has relatively poor visibility compared to something like a VW Golf for example as they have lower shoulders and hence larger windows. 

I felt nauseous the first time I took my RX on a cross country route and thought oh no what have I done, am I going to have to take advantage of the 30 day exchange. 

I am the world's worst traveller, the only time I don't feel ill is driving (except for a really long overnight journey to and back from Scotland in my Golf) so feeling ill driving would be a real issue.  But that was the only time and I've done the same and similar journeys since and felt great; in fact I really look forward to short or long trips in it.  So it may be one of the things that other forums and people here have mentioned but hopefully like me it will be a short term problem and you'll start to get the full Lexus experience.

22 hours ago, rayaans said:

Yes I get mild car sickness if looking downwards when a car is moving, perhaps at a book or something. I don't get it if my eyes can see what my brain knows is going on!

Nausea can be caused by a few things, check the windscreen is clear for a start. Some valeters tend to clean the windscreen poorly and instead leave smears which cause the eyes to strain, hence can cause glare and eventually nausea.

It may be due to the relatively firm ride and poor road surfaces as well, especially if you're previous car was more cossetting. Other factors could be claustrophobia. The CT is fairly enclosed and has relatively poor visibility compared to something like a VW Golf for example as they have lower shoulders and hence larger windows. 

I agree with Rayaans. Possibly the reason for seeing this from hybrid owners is the temptation to fixate on the economy gauges a little more than one would look at the gauges on a conventional car. I also agree with the valeters comment and would add that some of them use a masking odour of some type which I find particularly nauseous. My wifes BMW Mini was valeted using this stuff and I couldnt travel in the car for any more than 10 miles at a stretch until the odour subsided after some months of ownership. I call this perfume "lady on the bus" since the only other place I recall such a sickeningly cloying odour was whilst travelling on public transport during my school days.

That's a good point about the valeting. The car came straight from the dealers showroom (used car showroom) so it could indeed be related to the cleaning chemicals. In which case it should hopefully wear off after a week or two.  Similarly, because it is a new car (new to me, I mean!) I am spending more time looking at the various displays and fiddling with the controls than I normally would. I also tend to feel sick if I try to read in a car. It is best to keep looking out of the front window.

Paul

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 11:19 AM, paulyuk6 said:

That's a good point about the valeting. The car came straight from the dealers showroom (used car showroom) so it could indeed be related to the cleaning chemicals. In which case it should hopefully wear off after a week or two.  Similarly, because it is a new car (new to me, I mean!) I am spending more time looking at the various displays and fiddling with the controls than I normally would. I also tend to feel sick if I try to read in a car. It is best to keep looking out of the front window.

Paul

Most likely someone has gone overboard with Autosmart Berry Blast

I only use one quick spray but some valeters do one spray in each footwell and its seriously overpowering.

• 3 weeks later...

It could indeed be smell related. I once recruited a lady who used to wear a perfume called Opium. Within minutes of her coming into the office, I would feel nauseous and get severe headaches. It got so bad that I had to mention it to her. She stopped wearing this particular perfume in the office and the situation resolved itself.

With regards to motion sickness, I recently read a very interesting paper on motion sickness in space travel, specifically in zero gravity environments.
In all vertebrates, the vestibular part of the ear (aka inner ear) contains 3 very small pebble-like bone formations called otoliths. As your head moves, these otoliths come into contact with hairs inside the inner ear, and messages are subsequently sent to the brain as to the position of your head. Similar position-related messages are relayed to the brain from your eyes.
In some circumstances such as in a zero gravity environment, or more commonly (!) while reading in a car, the signals sent by the otoliths and the ones sent by the eyes contradict each other, confusing the brain and resulting in motion sickness.
For instance, if you are reading a book whilst a passenger in a car travelling along a winding road, your inner ear will register the side to side movements and advising your brain accordingly, while your eyes will say, "no mate, you've got it wrong... We're reading a book and it's not moving at all"

Hence you are less likely to be sick if you are looking out of the window (forward, as opposed to side window), and if you are on deck rather than below deck on a boat. It is also why astronauts suffer from motion sickness (their otoliths were all over the place due to lack of gravity) and so do submarine crews.

Incidentally, you are also less likely to feel seasick if you are deaf because your inner ear is inherently deficient.

With regards to Paul's complaint, and to some extent in view of the above, is it possible that, in the CT, you sit much lower than you did in your previous car? - This would contribute to the upper part of the dashboard being more into your line of sight where your eyes are seeing a larger, non-moving part of the dash, against the moving scenery? Does that make any sense?

Also, do you wear glasses and have you changed them recently? Varifocals?

Did you know that all vertebrates can suffer from motion sickness... including fish! However, you will be please to know that neither cows nor horses can actually be physically sick due to the morphology of their digestive system!

Things you didn't know you didn't know!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DanD said:

It could indeed be smell related. I once recruited a lady who used to wear a perfume called Opium. Within minutes of her coming into the office, I would feel nauseous and get severe headaches. It got so bad that I had to mention it to her. She stopped wearing this particular perfume in the office and the situation resolved itself.

With regards to motion sickness, I recently read a very interesting paper on motion sickness in space travel, specifically in zero gravity environments.
In all vertebrates, the vestibular part of the ear (aka inner ear) contains 3 very small pebble-like bone formations called otoliths. As your head moves, these otoliths come into contact with hairs inside the inner ear, and messages are subsequently sent to the brain as to the position of your head. Similar position-related messages are relayed to the brain from your eyes.
In some circumstances such as in a zero gravity environment, or more commonly (!) while reading in a car, the signals sent by the otoliths and the ones sent by the eyes contradict each other, confusing the brain and resulting in motion sickness.
For instance, if you are reading a book whilst a passenger in a car travelling along a winding road, your inner ear will register the side to side movements and advising your brain accordingly, while your eyes will say, "no mate, you've got it wrong... We're reading a book and it's not moving at all"

Hence you are less likely to be sick if you are looking out of the window (forward, as opposed to side window), and if you are on deck rather than below deck on a boat. It is also why astronauts suffer from motion sickness (their otoliths were all over the place due to lack of gravity) and so do submarine crews.

Incidentally, you are also less likely to feel seasick if you are deaf because your inner ear is inherently deficient.

With regards to Paul's complaint, and to some extent in view of the above, is it possible that, in the CT, you sit much lower than you did in your previous car? - This would contribute to the upper part of the dashboard being more into your line of sight where your eyes are seeing a larger, non-moving part of the dash, against the moving scenery? Does that make any sense?

Did you know that all vertebrates can suffer from motion sickness... including fish! However, you will be please to know that neither cows nor horses can actually be physically sick due to the morphology of their digestive system!

"It could indeed be smell related. I once recruited a lady who used to wear a perfume called Opium. Within minutes of her coming into the office, I would feel nauseous and get severe headaches. It got so bad that I had to mention it to her. She stopped wearing this particular perfume in the office and the situation resolved itself"

I bet it was a perfume called "Estee Lauder Youth-Dew" It always made me go dizzy and always made me sick. I went out with a very nice young lady who insisted on wearing the stuff, unlike you I didn't have the guts to ask her not to wear it so I had to end the relationship. It was dreadful stuff. If they had used that in wars instead of using gas  they would have won the war but would not be  vilified for killing thousands of troops and civilians. It still has the same effect on me today.

A tiny exhaust leak into the cabin could also cause sickness. So tiny that smell does not detect it. Must be very rare these days with better made vehicles but worth checking if all other possibilities are rejected.

John

• Like 2

On 11-1-2017 at 3:54 PM, paulyuk6 said:

Hi folks

This is a bit of an unusual question!

I've only had my CT200H Advance 2014  for a week, but I am finding that after driving it for about 10 minutes I start feeling slightly nauseous. It's like car sickness when you are a kid.  After driving, it takes about an hour before the feeling wears off. It's very strange!

As anyone else experienced this?

After writing the above, I was reading some of the other forums (for Hybrid cars) and discovered that this is not an uncommon problem.  Some people put it down to the large batteries, others blame the shape of the windscreen, or the lack of engine noise. Most of these seem pretty unlikely to me, so I was wondering if anyone else might know the cause of this?

all the best

Paul

Hi Paul, is the problem still there?

have you driven other cars and if so do you experience thesame issues or nothing at all?

On 7-2-2017 at 4:42 PM, DanD said:

Unfortunately i have to say this is 100% correct. I know this from experience driving my 300H in town and totally unexpected was hit by complete dizzyness. Could stop the car on pavement hit the warninglightbutton and that was it. Totally incapacitated could not move, nothing, the entire world turned around me even with my eyes shut. Passers by called an ambulance and 12 minutes later i was undergoing CT and MRI scans. spend the night in hospital feeling terrible. My son took the 300H drove it home. Diagnosis was an infection to the inner ear!!.

I could not drive for 2 weeks, was lightheaded for 3 months, now all is fine and normal again.

My opinion is that is seems unlikely that one can get nausea in 1 certain type of car and not in another. It is about movement and registration of eyes/mind etc. It could be a personal problem instead of a Lexus CT problem.   

• Like 1

Well, the problem seems to be slowly wearing off. I've driven to Manchester and to London a couple of times recently with no ill effects.
I do wear varifocal glasses, so maybe glancing down at the various displays and satnav too much might have been a cause.
Anyway thanks for your advice!

Paul

Paul

• Like 1

Paul,

I have had issues with compromised balance resulting from an inner ear infection. Possibly of interest to you, I was given a course of medication called Temetil for a few weeks, which greatly reduced the balance issues.

I was told that, as a result of an infection, the inner ear can be permanently damaged, but that the brain adapts and compensates. However, if you are run down or under the weather, your brain is not as good as managing this, resulting - temporarily - in vertigo etc.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Paul,

I have had issues with compromised balance resulting from an inner ear infection. Possibly of interest to you, I was given a course of medication called Temetil for a few weeks, which greatly reduced the balance issues.

I was told that, as a result of an infection, the inner ear can be permanently damaged, but that the brain adapts and compensates. However, if you are run down or under the weather, your brain is not as good as managing this, resulting - temporarily - in vertigo etc.

I highly doubt that Paul has Vestibular Neuronitis. Its essentially the same as Labyrinthitis (inner ear infection) but without hearing problems and causes balance problems but also dizziness, blurred vision and they are usually spontaneous, early morning or in the afternoon. It doesn't usually need treatment, seems to settle down itself in a few weeks and management is conservative.

From what I can work out, he seems to be getting nausea only when driving the car which would mean its something in the car or the car itself. Also from the description of it settling down, it seems it could be related to the smell in the car which would naturally dissipate over time

17 hours ago, rayaans said:

I highly doubt that Paul has Vestibular Neuronitis. Its essentially the same as Labyrinthitis (inner ear infection) but without hearing problems and causes balance problems but also dizziness, blurred vision and they are usually spontaneous, early morning or in the afternoon. It doesn't usually need treatment, seems to settle down itself in a few weeks and management is conservative.

From what I can work out, he seems to be getting nausea only when driving the car which would mean its something in the car or the car itself. Also from the description of it settling down, it seems it could be related to the smell in the car which would naturally dissipate over time

I defer to your professional knowledge. This is your area of expertise, not mine! :yes:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links