Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi GS hybrid owners!

Real winter is here and my car's fuel consumption increased from 5.5 l/100km to 7.5. Possible reason is low power from electric motor. Before i could go using only electric power even when ICE was almost totally cold and hybrid Battery low (2 of 8 cells on display) Now if I have warm engine, Battery charged 6-7 of 8 but EV mode still unavailable. Sometimes ICE shut down while braking, but start up immediately after fine touch of gas pedal. Eco meter (big left gauge) shows that i am out of blue eco range even on slight acceleration. Maybe a cold weather (we have -30 to -10 °C ) can cause this but i am unsure.

2 hours ago, arkviz said:

Hi GS hybrid owners!

Real winter is here and my car's fuel consumption increased from 5.5 l/100km to 7.5. Possible reason is low power from electric motor. Before i could go using only electric power even when ICE was almost totally cold and hybrid battery low (2 of 8 cells on display) Now if I have warm engine, battery charged 6-7 of 8 but EV mode still unavailable. Sometimes ICE shut down while braking, but start up immediately after fine touch of gas pedal. Eco meter (big left gauge) shows that i am out of blue eco range even on slight acceleration. Maybe a cold weather (we have -30 to -10 °C ) can cause this but i am unsure.

Cold weather increases fuel consumption for a number of reasons. Having the heater on high with a high fan speed will force the engine to run. Cold air is more dense than warm air and increases air drag. Tyres run cooler with less pressure this increases rolling resistance. Also if you fit winter tyres these have a much higher rolling resistance than summer tyres.

John

Low temps do have a huge impact on mpg  - particularly in hybrids. I don't know what it translates to in metric, but a 10-15mpg reduction is perfectly normal when comparing external temperatures around 15 degrees with those around 0 degrees. I've not driven in conditions lower than -5 or so, but I would imagine that economy continues to be affected as temperatures continue to fall. The car also behaves differently - it travels less far in milkfloat mode, takes longer to recharge and will run the engine continually to provide heat to the cabin.

2 hours ago, arkviz said:

Sometimes ICE shut down while braking, but start up immediately after fine touch of gas pedal.

I've noticed that mine also does this occasionally. I don't know if it's connected to the heater being on, low engine temperature or low Battery charge state. I don't think it's a fault, although it might be a quirk specific to the 300h drivetrain as I don't recall my old Prius doing it. 

My Prius lost 10 MPG from summer to winter. Turning the fan on instantly started the engine. Some Toyota/Lexus cars with Economy switches will make the engine run with the heater on hot if not in economy mode. My GS450H starts as soon as I put the heater fan on or above the mid way setting, and I have lost about 3MPG compared with summer figures.

John

I saw somewhere that heating increase ICE usage. I tried set as low temperature as possible but it was the same. Slow recharging doesn't seem to be reason, as I have hybrid Battery always almost fully charged.

For a correct use ICE has to reach at least 40 °C. do, despite of HV charge, it will be on till temperature is over 40°. Nothing irregular, let hybrid system work!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links