Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 ticking/tapping noise from left side of the engine

Hi there.

Just a few days after my suspension has been fixed.. :/

have some ticking/tapping noise coming from the left side of the engine... I was in local garage and they said it can be one of the hydraulic tappets. Is any chance I could fix that somehow and find out  is  that for 100% without taking engine apart? 

Have new filters and oil. (Have done 3000 miles)

when engine cold I can hear it even more... 

it can be some of the cam belt components? Tension or something? Ac belt new as well.... 

anyone had similar issues?

thanks

lukas

If it is a hydraulic tappet, it's an engine out, or at least, the head stripped type of job I'm afraid, depending on where the failed tappet is.  I had one fail on the GS and required the engine to be lifted out to replace it.  It's not a DIY job unless you're a competent mechanic with all the right tools and settings for rebuilding.

The other thing that can cause a tapping or ticking noise (at least on the older 3 litre V6) was the fuel pump at the rear of the engine which operates off a cam drive, and this, until warm, can "tick" a little until tolerances close up with heat.

If the "wrong" oil has been put in (ie too viscous), I'd have though that tappets may take longer to prime, but any knocking should then disappear as the engine warms.  If it doesn't, then it could well point towards a tappet seal failure.

• Like 1

Thanks for useful info GLSV6... I think is the tappet... my mechanic said is nothing to worry about... I don't know... is it safe to drive? 

Im using shell helix oil now. 5W/30.

29 minutes ago, LukasG said:

Thanks for useful info GLSV6... I think is the tappet... my mechanic said is nothing to worry about... I don't know... is it safe to drive? 

Im using shell helix oil now. 5W/30.

A slightly lazy hydraulic tappet is nothing to worry about shorter term, especially if it's not failed completely, which is rare (most noisy hydraulic tappets have failing internal valve seals so that they won't prime properly and cannot retain priming pressure).  The net result is that the valve clearances rise above tolerance and you hear a knocking noise which is not damaging as such for the engine health at least short term, unlike the other way round where using more traditional valve clearance adjustment, should the valve not close completely, the valve and valve seat can be destroyed over time.  In your case, your mechanic is right....nothing to overly worry about in the short term as long as nothing fails but it will affect engine efficiency.  It's not a cheap job unfortunately unless you can find a friendly spanner who is willing to do the job for beer money.  

Thanks for your help guys... I think about buying the special bottle of "hydraulic tappets restorer" first....

I will check if the noise is smaller after application... at least I will find out if that's the tappets... that staff should help a bit.... 

Hi.

I did around 20 miles with that lifters restorer added to my oil... unfortunately no any reaction...

it might be some noise from the cambelt tensioner or another component?

If it's a tapping, then unlikely to be cambelt tensioner, and more likely to be tappets or fuel pump.  If the restorative oil solution didn't fix it, then it could still be a failed tappet seal.  The restorative isn't designed to mend blown seals, just rejuvenate tired seals by cleaning dirty deposits from the engine that could be preventing seals from working properly.  I'd give it some more miles, it can take a few hundred miles of engine running for that restorative oil supplement to work its magic.

Hi.

Problem solved! 

OMG! So happy!

Called lexus today and they wanted  £680 for all tappets...

this afternoon I left my car for my mechanic to start the project... he took out 2 belts aaannndddd... start the engine to eliminate faulty bearings...

no noise... 

after inspection we found a few stones inside one of the belts... :D

that was my clicking tapping noise!

all good all fine guys!

(still we love big L)

:D

IMG_8153.JPG

IMG_8154.JPG

• Like 1

LoL!  Fabulous,  Who'd have thunk it!

Bet you're over the moon with that result.  Any damage to belt?  I'd probably replace it with a new one to be on the safe side, but I'm risk averse where engines are concerned!

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links