Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, how competent is the RX450h in snow and ice? Does anyone have any experience?

Do you have to set up the car in any special mode? There is no mention of anything in the handbooks.

It'll be very tyre dependant.  With summer tyres, you won't get the grip in snow as the tread pattern will clog very quickly, and with big wide tyres and 2.2 tonnes, I can't imagine it'd do as well as a "proper" 4x4 like a Landy.  With winter tyres fitted, I've heard from owners that they do ok but are limited by ground clearance so you have to be careful not to go into deep snow.  We have tried ours on very slippery muddy tracks and it copes with those, but is not what I'd call an off-roader and best kept on the tarmac!  The "Snow" setting just alters throttle response and transmission settings to reduce wheel spin and in all vehicles I have owned with similar functions, I've found it better to switch all of the aids off...except on these, there will always be layers of electronic interference built in.

I've had My RX 400 for four years and used in snowy conditions in the UK for those years and it has always performed excellently in the snow. Gives me a great sense of freedom that I can still move around and four-wheel-drive has always been exemplary. Even when going up slopes it is extremely surefooted and won't let you down. But of course it's not a true off-roader , so just bear that in mind, but it is extremely good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

It'll be very tyre dependant.  With summer tyres, you won't get the grip in snow as the tread pattern will clog very quickly, and with big wide tyres and 2.2 tonnes, I can't imagine it'd do as well as a "proper" 4x4 like a Landy.  With winter tyres fitted, I've heard from owners that they do ok but are limited by ground clearance so you have to be careful not to go into deep snow.  We have tried ours on very slippery muddy tracks and it copes with those, but is not what I'd call an off-roader and best kept on the tarmac!  The "Snow" setting just alters throttle response and transmission settings to reduce wheel spin and in all vehicles I have owned with similar functions, I've found it better to switch all of the aids off...except on these, there will always be layers of electronic interference built in.

Absolutely correct. I also drive a Landy as well as two lexus, with winter tyres on the Lexus they will leave the disco standing in the snow when on summers. 

One thing to remember about 4wd against 2wd is the braking !!  All cars have the same 4 wheel braking system.. so winter tyres take the biscuit. And let's be honest, it's the stopping that's the concern in snowy or icy conditions.

• Like 1

I went out briefly in my rx450 and my estate in particular was like sheet ice. I have the Pirelli all weather tyres and they gripped superbly and I had no issues with traction at all.

in comparison I went out in my gs450 afterwards which has almost brand new Dunlop tyres and it was slipping across the ice even braking from about 5mph. Definately had to be very light on the throttle.

The difference between cars was light and day so as far as I'm concerned the RX past the housing estate icey road challenge.

carl

• Like 2

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The difference between the cars Carl,or the tyres ?

Regards

John

I think the tyres clearly make a huge difference particularly when hitting the brakes but I still think the four wheel drive assistance in snow mode makes the drive feel more confident. To be fair rear wheel drive without snow socks or chains is always going to be difficult in icey confitions. 

• Like 4

• 7 years later...

I have the lexus rx 300 I just put it in the high position on the air system and it flies through snow, lve it never had no problems, it's done one hundred and fifty thousand miles, lve it,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links