Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs 450h Check Hybrid System glitch?

Hello everyone, owner of 2008 gs450h here posting first time :) Had this car for 3 weeks now and couple days ago whilst driving home couple miles away got this happened: car lost all its power only brakes would work and warnings came on: check hybrid system and also red triangle with exclamation mark in it. Pulled car over, tried to restart couple time but same warning would come on. After few tries playing with the shifts putting it in R managed to move car backwards and then D and forwards but it would only go in electric mode and had to really push hard on accelerator to make engine kick in, but it would lose all the power again whilst on red lights and had to do same procedure again to restart it then move backwards and only then D light would illuminate and car would start. Anyway took me 30 mins to get home which was 2 mile away(check hybrid system and triangle on all time) :D Next morinng heading to the car with obd2 cable and laptoparrow-10x10.png with techstream to check for any codes, but suddenly when started the car the was no sighns of any errors or anything so started driving and it would drive no problem but still felling weird and first attemts engine would only kick in when really going hard on accelerator or only when Battery needed charging, but engine is making more noise now and now running as often as would normally do but its still more noisy and abit rattling when cold and really louder when accelerating also noticed more smoke coming from exhausts..? took car to local garage today to check for any ecu errors and none errors came on.. but it was lexus garage so maybe they didnt check properly. Booked  car to Lexus Croydon for next Wednesday but wondering if they gonna be able to find anything wrong.. still got extended lexus warranty so not too worried but untill it gets looked at properly should i still drive the car? Any opinions of what signs that could be? Also qustion: Got obd2  usb cable with techstream software but canr manage to connect to my ecu. the cable has red light which comes on when i plug it into the laptoparrow-10x10.png and it seemed to light up when plugged into obd socket alone with igition on. therefore techstream cant connect to VMI. But it could just be a dodgy cable not my obd2 socked as garage today mentioned that they could connect to ecu.. but i havent seen it so a bit doubdfull :) Thanks for reading :)

Sorry to learn of your plight Faustas.

If it were me,I would take it straight to Lexus for them to diagnose and repair/replace  under their extended warranty and I would not seek to diagnose myself nor involve any 3rd parties, lest Lexus seek to absolve themselves for you/me having done so.

I am sure that others members on here will have some technical advice for you,but remember the reasons for your securing the extended warranty.

Good luck.

Regards

John

• Like 2

Hi there, I have heard some stories on the Gs450h. The fault could be caused by a failing hybrid Battery (expensive job)  the Chain ( you can get the chain kit from the U.S for around £190, but then youve got to find a good indy to replace it) remember they dont have cambelts and are chain drivin or the bigger Battery in the engine bay. But if youve got warranry on it, just take it to your nearest Lexus Dealer.

• Like 1

Update.

Managed to get the fault codes from diagnostics:

B2281 P Signal (Cable-Information does not match to BEAN-Information)

B1421 Solar Sensor Circuit (Passenger Side)

B1424 Solar Sensor (Driver Side)

C1241 Low or High Supply Voltage

P0705 Transmision Range Sensor Circuit

Any ideas what a combination of these codes would tell whats actually wrong with the car? :)

Anyway, on a way home car gets dead again on a traffic light whilst waiting for green signal. Numerous attemts to restart the car dont work with Ceck Hybrid System and red triangle with exclamation mark lighting up on a dashboard... Called roadside assistance also tried to start the but no signs of luck.Got the car dropped to Lexus Croydon garage last night now just waiting for some new from them on Monday. Meanwhile trying to think what is actually wrong with the car also thinking will the extended warranty i got cover for the repairs :) Anyway wish me luck :))

tmp_22754-IMG-20170114-WA0015103324939.jpeg

I wouldnt worry about the solar sensors. They are fitted top of the dashboard just behind the windscreen, they are only used when using auto headlights. The codes for them were probebly triggered due to time of day you put the diagnosic computer in.

• Like 1

P0705 is PRNDL range circuit (GEAR RANGE SELECTOR)

C1241 is Ignition power source circuit ( Motor Relay - Cell)

I cannot find a legitimate code with the numbers B2281.

The other codes as already stated relate to the amount of light on the sensors in the dash.

John

• Like 1

Here we go most recent codes from mechanics. They saying that might be problem with transmission. Also these codes appear to be history ones as well abit suspicious as only had this car for 3 weeks since bought privately, even the mechanics say that it might be worth getting money back from the seller as he must have known about problems... thats what they suggesting.. they cant beleive that the car can brake down within 3 weeks of buying a car and the codes are in history... weird....:)

tmp_3347-20170120_135910-1815303048.jpg

4 hours ago, Lovelexus2 said:

Here we go most recent codes from mechanics. They saying that might be problem with transmission. Also these codes appear to be history ones as well abit suspicious as only had this car for 3 weeks since bought privately, even the mechanics say that it might be worth getting money back from the seller as he must have known about problems... thats what they suggesting.. they cant beleive that the car can brake down within 3 weeks of buying a car and the codes are in history... weird....:)

tmp_3347-20170120_135910-1815303048.jpg

Your first post Faustas mentions/ implies that you have a Lexus Extended Warranty.

Regards

John

Dont know what your mechanic is going on about, you say in your first post that you have Lexus Extended Warranty, so what are you worried about? Take it to Lexus Dealers to sort out.

• Like 2

Yes its with Lexus now and im not worried, just  sayong what was told by Lexus mechanic the one is trying to sort it. It seems like this problem was there when i bought it. Next time when buying a car gonna take my obd2 lead and laptop to make sure no faults come up :)))  courtesy car is nice though:)

If i were You I wouldn't count on the warranty so much. You mentioned that problem most probably was there when you bought it so it was present before you bought the warranty. i would be very surprised if it will cover pre-existing fault.

Other option may be that you bought the car and transferred existing warranty - have you ? There is some paperwork to fill to do it plus £25 fee. But then why previous owner didn't fix it, or maybe he/she tried and claim was reduced.

Anyway I'm quite cuorius what is wrong with the car.

The thing to remember with historic codes is that there is no knowing when those codes were issued. It could be 6 months ago or it could be 6 hours ago.

Lovelexus has said himself that the car ran fine until the problem appeared, and then went through various processes to get it running again. This in it'self could have caused the historic codes.

They may have appeared while in possession of the last owner, and he may have had them cleared, but they would then re appear at some later date. If they were cleared or found by a Lexus dealer while in the previous owners hands there will be a record of this on there database.

John.

• Like 1

Yes the warranty got transfered from previous owner and yes thats what im thinking if he known about the problems he would have simply gotten the car fized as it would been free. Its just something the mechanic said that these cars dont just brake more likely they never brake mind this happening just 3 weeks after purchasing the car but i can take it as very odd coinsidance lol.
Also very curious for whats wrong with the car. They said they gonna let me know more details on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Good that they got it sorted for you.

One of the major problems with modern diagnostic systems is the so called "sensor". This word covers a large range of devices that measure position, temperature, pressure, level, voltage, current, noise, speed, flow rate, and many other parameters. Often it is the sensor rather than the item it is monitoring that has the problem.

It does not matter if it is the sensor or the item being monitored that goes faulty the result is the same. That particular system if your lucky just issues a warning or next on the scale goes into "limp or get you home mode". If your unlucky the system just shuts down.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Good things dont last long. Today after starting a car geting CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM and Check engine light comes up. What a crap car :) just got fixed at lexus 2 week ago and hers what i get again.. anyway booked in for a check on Friday to see what it is..

Yes i hope they will look at it properly. Anyway, today all the warnings dissapeared but hope they can still see what was the problem as the fault code should still stay in history even if its not present... dont want to ignore this and want it fixed as planning a 4000mile roadtrip and just want to be safe its not gonna break down lol...

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I am looking for more information on this GS450h 'Check Hybrid System' 'Check VSC' and 'Check ECB dash warning 

I am a loyal Lexus owner my first car a used GS300 with no problems, my second cars my beloved LS430 no problems until A66 potholes wrecked my suspension 

I now own my used GS450h which has been trouble free for the last last few years But I am now getting the 'Ping' with error message 'Check Hybrid System' Check VSC' and 'Check ECB' with flashing amber traction control light Flashing red triangle, orange brake warning also orange engine management warning light

Occasionally warnings change to Steady red warning light and Steady 'Check Hybrid System' no other warnings 

I have had my car into my local reputable garage, the diagnostics indicated a faulty rear nearside ABS sensor, which reading other posts was plausible, they suggested fitting ABS/Speed sensor also nearside rear wheel bearing at a cost of around £400 I was given the option of sourcing parts myself but could not find them available at a cheaper price And approved the work I was then told The 12 volt Battery was failing and (please don't hit me)  I agreed to replacing Battery as new spec at £250

My car ran OK for a week or so then the same faults were thrown in after a trip to Yorkshire, I took my car back to the garage, more diagnostics and historical Battery faults were cleared All has been good for the last three weeks Now I have the same problem 

My worry is my Lexus GS450h going to be a money pit I'm seriously thinking of going back to Vauxhall after twenty years of happy Lexus driving         

When the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree with dire warnings of all sorts of things, it's often a sign that the 12V Battery is on its way out.

Cars like these are full of electronics and are very sensitive to low Battery voltage, causing the car to throw a hissy fit.

The chart below should give you some indication but ideally you should have your Battery tested using a heavy discharge tester which is designed for the job. The 'home' or DIY equivalent would be to switch on the headlights, heated seats, heated rear screen etc., to apply a heavy load to the Battery and it shouldn't drop below 10V.

Unfortunatley you can't do this with a hybrid because things like the heated seats and heated rear screen won't operate until the car is in READY mode, which is the equivalent of the engine and alternator running on a conventional car. With a conventional car the ignition could be on but the engine not running, therefore heavily discharging the Battery.

The chart below shows Battery standing voltage but it would also be a good idea to check when the car is in READY mode to prove that the charging system is working (should show about 14.5V).

bvolts.png.13c2ddf058818a105f323e1485c816d3.png

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Had the same issue recently. Car would turn off the engine, only power steering and brakes would work until I stop and restart the engine. Many mechanics thought it was an inverter problem but a wise one actually put in his inverter into my car and the issue persisted. The problem was the transmission. Bought a used transmission in good condition, replaced it and now everything works fine for half a year already. Performs way better as well. I would put my money on transmission. Hope anyone who struggles with the same problem will find this helpful