Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is it about these cars?.

As some of you may have noticed I recently listed my LS on fleabay. Had a lot of enquiries and watchers,but I've ended the listing early as I can't bear to part with her. This is not the first time this has happened either!. Never before has a car (other than my two other LS's) had this effect on me.The only reason I listed her was because I though the old dosh was going to be tight this month,so I went out and purchased a cheap as chips 'Froggy Fartbox' to replace her with. SWMBO was less than amused,as she prefers the LS to her much newer MB!. She lives to fight another day. 

• Like 2

Not quite sure I follow the logic here.

Indecision, is it an age thing? 

I know that I courted the idea of a Renault with electric fold back top not long ago (under 1K) but fortunately the brain regained its connection to the circuit board.

• Like 3

yes i saw it on eBay - Nice unique car - Keep hold of it!

These are amazing cars - i washed mine the other day after a while and its amazing how the paintwork just gleams - the build and material quality its absolutley outstanding - even after 13 years the dash/buttons do not shown any signs of wear or fading - you will never get that with modern cars no matter what - if you want the same craftsmanship you have to go back in time!

• Like 6

I think the only other vehicle I got really attached to and was difficult to see go was my 1980 Bedford C.F. 'Advantura' motorhome many years ago. We'd camped all over the U.K. and Europe in that, so had great sentimental value. She's still around somewhere on a SORN now,and hasn't been MOT'd for two years.

I think about changing from an LS, but each time I get into anything else I always find things that make me question why am I even looking.

The LS is not perfect, but for what it is (and the price you can get them and run them for) nothing comes close.

I must admit if I had very deep pockets I might got for a Q7, but they would have to be pockets that grew money.

• Like 2

I know, these cars are amazing, and unless you have one, others don't get it. Had my first LS430 (it was Silver with grey leather) for four years and when I sold it to go to NZ I literally cried. Missed it so much that I had to buy another, which after a short stint in the UK is now back in NZ with me. in fact it must be the most travelled by sea Lexus, it's been to NZ from UK then back to UK and now back to NZ. I've had it 4 Years now and I intend to keep it a very long time. In fact I've just bought a 4 year Lexus warranty here for $2,500 (about £1500 in post Brexit exchange rates) which I thought was very reasonable after replacing an air shock in the UK a couple of months ago for nearly £1,000! It's on 67,000 miles now, the last 20,000 in my hands.

I still marvel at the effortless way it drives and delivers power, totally quiet, and with an amazing sound system ( hooked up to my iPod).

Here's a picture of her taken yesterday. The comment above by Mark about gleaming paintwork is so right.

It's only the readers on this forum that have any idea why the thought of selling is so hard to contemplate, because as soon as she's gone you will hanker after her.

🤓

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Off to play golf with a young lass I know and on the journey over she says "this car is so comfortable I feel like I could go to sleep in it" I then give her a short history of the LS 400 and that almost tipped her into the land of nod!

• Like 7

On 16/01/2017 at 7:16 PM, NiceNige said:

by

It's only the readers on this forum that have any idea why the thought of selling is so hard to contemplate, because as soon as she's gone you will hanker after her.

🤓

image.jpeg

That was my experience when I sold my MkIII LS400. Never really thought I would get another one - hey ho!

Actually owning one is the only way to fully appreciate how good they are. They compare very favourably with most modern cars. If you compare them with other cars of the same age, they are just incredible. The ride is my favourite quality along with smooth gear changes and ample acceleration. Economy is more than acceptable for a 4.0 litre V8 - much better than you would get from a Jaguar of similar vintage. Buy as new as you can afford with a service history and you will not regret it. I drove mine yesterday and thought, this car cost £48,000 in 1998 and I am the owner! 

Would you consider a Rolls Royce of this vintage? I certainly would not because of the £££££££ signs you would see coming out of your pocket. If you do pick a Lemon you will be VERY unlucky. So many people on this forum have sold their cars with regret and bought another one. They are also very reluctant to sell to upgrade.

Good luck with your search and keep us all posted.

• Like 4