Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3RX450h - First Impressions, new owner's review

After making the decision to trade my 2007 GS300 in for a 2014 Mk3 RX450h, I finally took the plunge a week ago:IMG_0943%201_zps8qvfno7v.jpg 

Since then, a fair few miles have been put up and whilst I've read much of the owner's manual, I gave up half way through as it's not the lightest of reading.  I'll use it as a reference as and when needed.

First impressions:  Little point in saying too much as really, in a week of ownership I learned something very important about the RX, and that's that first impressions are misleading and count for little, even if a 24 hour test drive has been arranged.  Despite this, my initial impressions were that it was well made, nicely finished inside, roomy and comfortable, although the front seats weren't as adjustable or comfortable for me as my GS ones had been.  Initial thoughts on the drive were that it was a little crashy about town, over the bumps, not as quiet as I had been expecting (tyre noise mostly), pretty thirsty on the test drive at any rate and not as dynamic or involving as the GS.  However, it had the space we needed, was newer and probably would be more reliable (lets face it, the £££££'s I spent on the GS would make anything look more reliable!) and I liked the hybrid drive a lot.

One week on, and fair to say, the RX has grown on me quite a lot.  I'm glad we went for the F Sport as the handling is better than the luxury model to the extent that I don't notice much body roll at all and it does corner as if on rails without any fuss or bother.  Push it on a bit too hard and the front starts to run wide to remind you that you're behind the wheel of 2.2 tonnes of car, but it never feels unsafe and can be hustled through windy country roads at alarming pace if wanted. I've even grown to like the CVT box which suits this vehicle an it's hybrid drive system really well, and I hadn't expected to like the CVT at all.

Fuel consumption has settled down on the longest cross country run this week of 50 miles in temperatures ranging from zero (early morning start) to 5 degrees, it returned an average of close to 37mpg.  When this considers that a traffic jam or two was thrown in, two sets of road works, a city centre to navigate around and a few towns to drive through, then throw in some hills, then I thought this was pretty good all things considered.

The information display and menus take some getting used to and whilst the mouse thingy is a good idea, as others have found, it is over sensitive and it can be a pain having to go back and forth but you soon get used to it and even after a week I can now find my way through all the menus and settings, except the satnav which I have yet to master fully!  Whilst on the Satnav, I found it better than the one on the GS in some respects.  Easier to programme, and more reliable in use.

The HUD is another great feature which makes watching your speed in built up areas a doddle whilst not taking eyes off the road.

Performance-wise, it is sluggish in anything other than Sport mode to get going, but once on the move, it has a surprising turn of speed.  It doesn't kick down the same way that a true auto box does but with the sport Mode enabled, the Battery power helps initial take -off and overtakes are dispatched without drama. The GS felt faster, but I wonder if it actually was?  certainly it is much faster top-speed wise than the RX but that is irrelevant for driving in the UK.  Fair to say that the RX has more than adequate performance and more than enough shove for safe and rapid overtakes BUT a sports car it is not.

This then gets me on to an interesting point, and the reason why a short test drive tells you little.  The more it is driven, the more it rewards smooth driving and has the sort of serene and effortless quality which keeps you fresh and longing for more.  You want to go out and drive it NOT because it's quick or goes round corners well (it is quick enough and does go round corners well enough) but because it feels like an extension of the driver without being as literally connected as a more sporty drive.  You soon learn the precise seating and steering wheel adjustments that suddenly make everything click into place and any distractions or comparisons with the GS are soon forgotten as you find the sweet spot and let the high sides seats cosset you. You sit in rather than on them and I like that.

The radio is pretty good although FM gives by far the better quality audio than the DAB which I rarely use and which I dislike.  Despite the premium, the sound system (Mark Levinson on this one) isn't up to the ML system of the older GS, in fact it's not even close. The processed surround sound is more compressed and speaker selection and tuning seems less well thought out.  That said, it's easy enough to use and navigate through.  I haven't tried the CD player yet and probably will never bother with the blue tooth streaming option although it's nice to have it.

Storage room seems excellent, and general fit and finish in the cabin is excellent.  Rear load room is also excellent, and rear seats exceptional for comfort and adjustment. No gripes there at all.

I ordered a rubber protector mat from eBay for the rear for £47 delivered and it's an exact fit with a 50mm lip all round to bund any spillages or mess.  I also bought a throw to cover the rear seat backs and sides should any tip-runs be needed.  

Paint finish is excellent, as with most Lexus vehicles but is prone to stone chips as the water based base-coat is quite thin and the lacquer top coat easily chipped so a paint protection coating is a must. I elected not to pay for the outrageous amount Lexus quoted of well over £500 and will do it myself.  I have a dual action polisher and a load of menzerna polishes.  With the Lexus finish, such a recent car won't need claying or a coarse polish, but starting at a 4000 grit and then a 4500 will give a mirror finish and strip off any prior-applied wax.  On top of that, a long chain polymerised synthetic sealant  from menzerna (Menzerna Powerlock Sealant) will be applied, and then once cured, finished with Meguiars #26 Techwax.  That little lot will provide superb paint protection for the sake of a day's work and save £450.  The alternative would be to use an all in one finish such as Carlack 68.

These are just a few initial views formed over the first week of ownership.  It is interesting that my opinion has gone from "oh no, what have I done!" after the first day or two (yes, I really had serious misgivings about trading in my old GS which I loved driving), to "good move" by day 6.  It takes a while to learn to appreciate the strengths of the car and you never feel in a hurry to get anywhere. I have found myself driving more cautiously, a little more slowly and a lot more smoothly and that is relaxing.  Let other drivers do what they want and get worked up as they rush about, because truth is you probably will arrive at your destination as quickly as before but a lot less stressed!  That's what this car does well.  It rewards that driving style whilst still having plenty in reserve if you want a bit of fun or when overtaking is called for.

I'll report back when I have anything more to add but my strong advice to those considering an RX, is to do so only if you need the extra space or would value a more relaxed and cosseting drive, especially if you commute longer distances.  It's not a car to consider for the person wanting performance.  Look to the LC-F or the GS-F for that.  Dare I say it, it's not a car for a large family with young children either as the interior could soon become trashed, so a cheaper chuckle-bus might be order of the day as the school run weapon which you don't mid getting smothered in chocolate, dirty feet and crayons!  However, for older kids, it's just about perfect.  Beware that the extra height means elderly people sometimes will struggle to get in and out without assistance.  For those, like myself, with hobbies demanding loads of load space, and who put up a fair few miles, and want the performance, but also the comfort and good handling, then it's a no-brainer.

• Like 4

Yes, great review.....thanks Paul.  I'm considering changing to an Rx May or June time.  I've not had a test drive yet, but everything I've read suggests it's the correct vehicle going forward.  Pleased you're enjoying yours.

Great review, Paul and very well timed. I picked up my first RX450h SE-L Premier this afternoon, having traded in my old 2005 GS300. As you can imagine, I'm still getting to grips with everything and ploughing through the various manuals.

But, I was heartened by your review!

pic attached.

IMG_3361.JPG

Part 2

Thanks chaps, and lovely looking car Ken.  I like that colour and think that it suits the Premier really well.

I feel that I have to say something more about the ride.  The remarkable thing about the RX is it's so under-stated, the real under-dog of the SUV Crossover market in some respects.  When you stop to think on that, it also dawns on you that it is also the most technically complex of all current SUVs, then things start to come together.  Little subtleties in the ride and handling, the way it makes its power etc seem perfectly attuned to its purpose.  Whilst the GS was more of a direct comparison with the rest of the luxury exec cars, the RX is different.  It seems to sit in a class of its own.

Part of this is down to the hybrid drive and part to the exceptional finish, the ride and reliability.

After just over one short week, I am appreciating it for what it is now.  From the moment you step into it (more accurately "climb aboard") and press the power button, the drivers seat cocoons you with a gentle forward motion to your correct position whilst the steering wheel comes up to greet you like some space age ship readying you for take-ff.  The steering wheel sliding back isn't as necessary on this as the GS because the entry space is big enough with the seat back on it's own, but the net result is that it's a car adapting to your needs.

Once the test drives are out of the way and you've drawn comparisons between your current drive, you can't stop to consider the finer details because you won't yet be able to appreciate them. Some are contained within the 700 page manual and you have yet you head around that when you buy the car.  It is a complex vehicle but not so much so that nothing makes sense or is out of reach.  In fact, much of that technology is hidden behind layers of electronic controls linked to the human interfaces of the dash, mouse, and control buttons but harnessed by the wheels and motor, the climate control, the brain that determines safety and efficiency.  the car gets on with all of these things and really flatters the driver.

That's one of the reasons that it feels special to drive.  Yes, it won't turn in like a 1 tonne sports car but it's silly to expect that anyway.  However, when viewed in a different light, it really impresses.  It turns in better than just about any other 2 tonne vehicle that I've driven.  The BMW X5 might be better but the ride is also harsher, the upkeep costs massive and longer term reliability questionable.  It is also not finished as nicely inside.  Round 1 to the Lexus fin my opinion anyway.

Off-road abilities are not on a par with a Freelander or Discovery, or even a loaded Hilux or Landcruiser.  However, those that have tried it with winter  tyres say that on mu and in snow, it runs rings round the Disco on ordinary road tyres, so ignore the car journo reviews, because none of them will have gone to the trouble of swapping tyres and doing the job properly.  I have tried it in rutted muddy tracks that my GS struggled with (on the way to a farm I visit regularly).  The RX floats across without drama.

Here's an eye opening example of its potential:

Good, now that we have that out of the way, lets concentrate on what it is good at.

Cross country runs this week have been a complete joy.  In the rare occasion that I have "opened it up" in sport mode, it's absolutely flown past the car I wanted to safely get past, and had me stamping on the brakes harder than anticipated to get the excess speed down.  It does this without drama and whisks you up to speed instead of growling and shoving you.  It is a gentleman's car and you are sat in a gentleman's club seat enjoying the relaxed serenity as it does this.

Practicality wise, the only consideration I hadn't thought about was cleaning it.  I needed a stool to reach the roof!  

More later, that's all I've got time for now, but I'll add to it as an when.

• Like 2

Very interesting  - your review pretty much sums up my initial test drives and then ownership experience. I love the RX now and seems to fit my lifestyle perfectly. 

Yesterday I took my father in law to the airport. Without putting the rear seats down, it carried 4 large suitcases and 2 smaller ones with multiple carrier bags and other bits. I still had space around the corners as well. Granted I couldn't see out the rear window but heck, its still enough for me!

With regard to the ML, I found it quite flat at first but you need to play with the equaliser settings and it sounds much better. DAB is rubbish anyway regardless of settings IMO. BTW you have to do this for each source individually as FM sounds better with lower bass IMO.

Also, for the paint Id probably recommend a ceramic coating instead of a sealant. Menzerna powerlock is a bog standard sealant, wont protect from stone chips or scratches. On the other hand something like CQUARTZUK makes an actual 4 micron barrier on the paint and becomes as hard as glass - net result being less scratches on the actual paint.

• Like 2

Part 3 - performance

Don't worry, not many more installments left!  (I will do one on practicality and running costs later when some miles are under the belt)

For performance, I was interested only in a few areas:

1.  Fuel economy/driving style

2.  The obligatory 0-60

3.  40-70

1.  I'll go into economy in more detail later on as I have only  a few hundred miles to base it on but based on three driving scenarios I can offer this:

Cross-country in normal mode, sticking to speed limits (naturally :wink3:) and driving smoothly and with empathy to the hybrid system:  37mpg average

Fast driving with overtakes, a bit of hooning around in sport mode and without any nod towards smoother driving, throwing in some steep hills and traffic:  23mpg

Some dual carriageway and motorway driving never exceeding 75mph:  32 to 34 mpg (so far).  

Bear in mind this is all in cold temperatures and I'd expect to see a few mpg more in warmer weather, perhaps 2 to 4mpg better.

2.  0-60 was done using GPS and a timer, the tests repeated multiple times with the vehicle set into Sport Mode:  Average 6.9 seconds.  

This was much quicker than the official figures suggest, and a few tenths quicker than the GS300, all of which came as a huge surprise.  This is deceptively quick off the mark and I'm not sure how this compares with other 450h's.  The speedo was showing 62 to 63mph, which seems about right (ie 5% optimistic).

3.  40-70:  This was an odd one.  not quite as fast as some figures being banded about suggest.  I've seen all sorts of figures from 7 seconds down to 4.4 seconds.  My own tests showed a consistent 6.5 seconds which is slower than the GS300 by over a second.  I may not have been doing things right here and this was only with one test, so I will have to repeat ( I started off at an indicated 37 mph for a start which didn't help matters but still...).  Even if I account for my error, it seems closer to 6 seconds in the 40-70 sprint.   I'll come back when I have had time and a passenger willing to do gps and stopwatch duties.

53 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Very interesting  - your review pretty much sums up my initial test drives and then ownership experience. I love the RX now and seems to fit my lifestyle perfectly. 

Yesterday I took my father in law to the airport. Without putting the rear seats down, it carried 4 large suitcases and 2 smaller ones with multiple carrier bags and other bits. I still had space around the corners as well. Granted I couldn't see out the rear window but heck, its still enough for me!

With regard to the ML, I found it quite flat at first but you need to play with the equaliser settings and it sounds much better. DAB is rubbish anyway regardless of settings IMO. BTW you have to do this for each source individually as FM sounds better with lower bass IMO.

Also, for the paint Id probably recommend a ceramic coating instead of a sealant. Menzerna powerlock is a bog standard sealant, wont protect from stone chips or scratches. On the other hand something like CQUARTZUK makes an actual 4 micron barrier on the paint and becomes as hard as glass - net result being less scratches on the actual paint.

Yes, good advice Rayaans.  I already had the Menzerna Powerlock so that is what I'll use for now.  I can always re-polish with the DA polisher and then apply a Silicon Dioxide based sealant at a later date.

What there is looks positive to me :wink3:.  Although we didn't see it all, it did seem to cope quite well with the obstacles that it was filmed with.  My only experience off road has been a badly rutted track that would trouble a lot of cars and it coped no problems with the OEM tyres but they would be a weakness for proper off-road where off road or winter tyres would improve it no end.

What a fantastic looking car Paul! Especially loving the silver colour. Really, really wanted one in the same finish. The Mrs ended up with a white one as just can't find many in anything other than white or black. Anyway, your new car looks brilliant!

Side question - the roof rails. Did you put these one yourself? Difficult? Being tempted to get some for hers - not to ever use them, purely for aesthetics as they seem to suit the car. In my crazy eyes anyway :wink3:

Thanks Norman

We were offered white to start with as there seemed to be plenty of those, and whilst black looks fantastic in the photos, my experiences with looking after a black car in the past are that it shows up every scratch, swirl mark and spec of dirt, so we wanted to avoid that this time.  Whilst silver is fast becoming "yesterday's" colour of choice, it still masks surface defects better than most other colours and I think lends an air of anonymity.

Must admit that I got lazy and had the rails added as part of the deal.  I think that they finish it off beautifully and really suit the car.  We'll find them useful for transporting the bikes or roof box if needed but I need to remember to pack a stool, as joking apart, I don't think I could reach to put bike up on there!

We added an interior protection mat too (formed rubber) from eBay which will help keep the rear tidy and I'll get round to fitting aftermarket mats to save the originals.  The only other thing that I want to do is to fit mudflaps, so a set of those will be on order shortly as it doesn't seem to take long for the sides of the car to become plastered.

I'll wait for the warmer, dryer  weather before re-polishing the car and adding a paint protection sealant.

OK, after a few more miles on the clock, and a few honest musings without any sugar coating:

I'm still missing the GS300.  Without a  doubt, it was a more refined, smoother drive with more available power on tap when needed, and it handled much better. Carrying passengers over a few outings and a few have complained about the side to side rocking on the road over lumps and bumps, and the noise of the CVT when on power.  The GS, even when on power, was quieter as if it was a vulgar thing to allow the people in the cabin to hear any noise.  It whispered along gracefully with purpose.  I've also found that even on the F-Sport setting, there is a lag when putting your foot down to anything much happening, although take-up is more rapid and available than on the standard or Eco settings.

Seating is also less comfortable on a longer run although I still find it very good.

Economy I'm finding is appalling for shorter trips but acceptable on longer trips.  Given the cold weather, I'd expect a few mpg less than in spring/summer/autumn.  On a run I'm averaging 37mpg on anything much over 20 or 30 miles.  Shorter trips up to 5 miles and it drops to low 20's.  The main problem is the system needing to warm up and for de-icing. It swallows fuel and the EV mode is unavailable for the first 5 minutes running.  Worst I've seen on an uphill run from cold to meet a mate 3 miles away, taking in about a 600ft climb over 2 miles through a small, car strewn village and slow speed wooded area was just 11mpg!  My GS would and did do better than this.  I can honestly say that I achieved double this figure from cold over the same trip, and that still weighed in at about 1.67 tonnes.

Practicality and it has scored 10/10.  It has managed to cram in a huge amount for a local tip run without needing the rear seats folded back and passengers definitely prefer the rear seating and the room, and the ability to see more, front and side.

Cleaning has been easy, despite the extra area to clean!  The sides at the front are quite square and the shape of the front valance is easy to clean.  The roof needs a stool to access it but that's fine.  Wheels are easy to keep clean but muck up quickly, as do the sides and sills.  I need to fit those mud flaps.

Accessibility of functions and settings is more awkward than the GS, especially when on the move, and the kit levels are down on the GS which spoilt the occupants with every available extra now only available on Premier models, but gadgets aside, the GS cabin was a nicer place to be.  I may be in a minority but I found it classier, preferred the "old fashioned" Rosewood trim and it somehow seemed lighter, possibly as the F-Sport uses a black roof lining so reflects less light inside (why?).

Am I still happy with the purchase?   Yes and no.  It ticks all the right boxes for us as a family, but for a driver who wants to be spoilt, flattered, cosseted and whisked around in blissful silence where corners are dispatched without drama and bumps are glided over as if on  a magic carpet, with more refinement than you can shake a decanter at, with lots of "go" under the right foot instantly available, the GS wins hands down.  The RX allows better visibility which is nice for the driver as well as passengers, is still quite refined, has adequate performance.  On a run at least, is more economical (just!), allows better passenger comfort and has real road presence, the RX wins hands down on these few points and practicality.

Watch this space.

• Like 2

Oh the lag after pressing the loud pedal! That's one of my gripes too. She doesn't find it an issue but for me it's very annoying. Guess I'm a little spoilt driving the Cayenne with instant shove :wink3:

Another gripe of mine is how rubbish the interior lighting is. Shocking. It hardly lights the interior. My old RX300 suffered too but not to the extent of the 450. Quickly resolved that by replacing the interiors bulbs with super bright LEDs. I reckon they could see it on the moon after that upgrade! Anyone know how to remove the interior light panels on the 450 as keen to do the same? The light panels seem a little too tight and scared I may break clips if I try any harder...

Hi Normski. I was very surprised by your comment about interior lighting in the rx450. I came from a GS300 where you needed a supplemental torch to get in and out or see your passenger - even with the interior lights on. On collecting my rx450 last week, one of the first things I noticed was how bright and good the interior lighting was. And, I don't think that was just because I'd been used to the GS300. My interior lighting is rather good. 

Must admit the interior lighting in mine is quite good.  No gripes there at all.  The lag is ok once you get used to it, as I was always taught that every overtaken should be planned and not rushed or spur of the moment. That has always served me well as sound advice, so I just leave more room between myself and the car I'm approaching, press the pedal, and a second or so later, know I'll get the juice to squirt past easily enough.  The key, I've found, is not to compare the RX to the GS (or any other car for that matter) and flick the switch in the brain which says "luxury Utility vehicle" and then it all makes sense and becomes mighty impressive.  The lag isn't a real gripe, just a characteristic you have to get used to.  The performance, when it comes, allows very rapid progress.  It's a rapid vehicle by any measure, for its size. The whole way it drives forces better driving behaviour, as it rewards smoothness, planning, positioning and makes you think rationally and not impulsively.  Yes, the darned car's a driving instructor in it's own right! :biggrin:

The lag has been built in by Lexus due to "unintended acceleration" lawsuit in the US. 

My lighting is also pretty good. It's bright enough. If you want to change the bulbs, use a credit card to get to them. 

Yes, I was already aware of the USA derived lawsuit, but why then inflict the ridiculous "fix" on UK cars?...it's both insulting to intelligence and annoying.  I'll be seeing if it's something within the ECU that can be mapped out.  Do any other car makers bow to such stupid lawsuits? When buying an Audi S3, Honda R-type, Ferrari, Westfield etc etc, does one then expect to complain that you've run into the back of another car because of the instant acceleration on tap? OK, it's no Ferrari or S3 come to that, but the point is the same.  If some people are stupid enough to run into the back of the car in front, then perhaps they deserve a Darwin award and natural selection is at  play.  Admittedly it's less of a problem in Sport mode but its still there. (Why, when you deliberately select "Sport" mode do Lexus think it necessary to still engineer in any delay at all?  It's perfectly obvious when selecting this manually that you actually might want better throttle response. That would have been the logical "fix" for those bereft of any driving skill or common sense behind the wheel).

Spot on Paul about the lag. Totally crazy...but I guess the US could be their largest market so want to keep those folk happy.

As for the lights...will get some pics and show you folk. I guess it could be that they are blow (school boy error not to think that!). Tried using trim tools to remove the panels so will give it another go today...

12 hours ago, rayaans said:

The lag has been built in by Lexus due to "unintended acceleration" lawsuit in the US. 

Please show me some evidence that Lexus has intentially built in some lag to the 'acceleration' following a lawsuit for 'mechanically sticking' acc pedals. And incorrectly fitted floor mats.

Arguments to one side, this whole lag business perhaps deserves closer attention as Stephen has a point.  I was speculating that the lag might be as a result of the USA lawsuit, but perhaps there's another reason, such as it might be an unavoidable symptom of having a complex hybrid system that needs a second or two to sort itself out.  If so, one would expect the lag to be present on other models too that use the hybrid system. Anyone know whether it existed in pre 2011 RX450h vehicles or GS450h cars?  If it only occurs on post 2011 cars, then would that not be evidence that it's somehow tied in to the USA issue as a belt and braces measure?

The report from unintended acceleration mentions lag once. And more importantly a fix via TSB.

To intentially create lag in a vehicle creates further hazards.

Page 33 of 177 row 7 .. Driving at roadway speeds.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nvs/pdf/NASA-UA_report.pdf