Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspected head gasket failure!

IS220DEMON

So the Engine Coolant Temperature is reaching 112C when put under load which is causing the Coolant to boil causing Over-pressurisation in the Expansion Tank and Coolant to be ejected from the Overflow pipe. I thought it may be the Radiator Cap causing this however the problem still persists after changing the Cap with a OEM. The cooling system cant seem to hold coolant at the Full mark. It now appears I have smoke coming out my exhaust when the engine is warm...

I live near the Watford area.

It's almost certainly the head gasket. Same thing happened with my is220d. Any good independent garage in your area will do the job. I paid  £450. God only knows what lexus will charge.

Only problem is once its fixed there's a good chance it will go again in the future due to the amount of movement in the  D4D engine.

I believe Lexus are charging somewhere near the £2k mark.

Few questions regarding your repair:

1) Did you need to skim the head? If no do you know if the head is skimmable?

2) Did you replace with OEM gasket or performance? If performance where did you purchase it from?

Thank you.

Pretty sure the head is alloy ... so there is a tendency for it to twist/warp. I'm sure I read somewhere that the engine has "wet liners" in the piston bores which meant it could not be skimmed.

Think Lexus will probably be more than £2000. The bill for mine (Lexus picked up the tab) was over £4000.

• Like 1

It's quite shocking lexus can charge between 2-4k to fit a head gasket. Arn't they like £20 or so to buy? Why do they charge this much when as peachy said an independent garage charge about £450?

Not quite sure how Peachy's place did it ... but that is indeed a very keen price. Hope they did it all correctly.

To do mine they dismantled the front section of the bodywork (rad/grill/bumper etc) and removed the engine. Apparently that is the only way you can separate and then replace the head. That is what was explained to me by Lexus... but I was not too bothered about process as they were paying ... I just wanted the thing put right.

Mine had a new and modified head and some injectors all replaced under warranty. It was not just a case of dropping on a new gasket.

I agree though ... it is a heck of a lot to pay. 

It's the labour cost.

When I was talking to the service guy at Lexus Edgware Road, he told me they charge £168 per hour for regular work.  He said that the dealership don't like warranty work because Lexus UK 'only' gives them £70 per hour!

Luckily it didn't cost me as much, but they would have charged me £500 in labour to change my engine mounts.

Your not wrong Normski2 £450 is a very keen price for a head gasket replacement but that was mates rates as I've known the proprietor graham a good many years. He had the job done in half a day and it was as sweet as a nut afterwards. 

I think your average independent garage will charge about £600 for a basic replacement.  Nothing like the astronomical prices lexus charge 😲😲

3 hours ago, normski2 said:

Pretty sure the head is alloy ... so there is a tendency for it to twist/warp. I'm sure I read somewhere that the engine has "wet liners" in the piston bores which meant it could not be skimmed.

Think Lexus will probably be more than £2000. The bill for mine (Lexus picked up the tab) was over £4000.

Maybe you missed this reply above?

No I did read that but I was hoping to get an answer from someone who had theirs repaired from an independent garage. I understand the block cannot be skimmed due to having fused thin-walled iron-cast liners but didn't think the head was un-skimmable...

No head cannot be skimmed, if you take a look at the link below you will see a post from Ormi who is also a member on here and a qualified Toyota technician confirming this.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/126153-22-d4d-t3x-head-gasket-dilemma/

I've just had a read and from what I gather from what Ormi wrote is at the time of writing that thread the head gasket was un-skimmable due to thicker aftermarket head gaskets not being available and not because of liners on the head... the mystery continues haha

FYI

"Posted June 14, 2011

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2011 at 1:17 PM, cmia said:
  On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2011 at 9:18 AM, Mistermena said:
  On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2011 at 2:36 AM, westsider2 said:

Well it looks like I'll have to bring my car to a Toyota dealership in the UK after all, at least I'll get the dealership I bought the car off to do it. My mechanic contacted Toyota today who told him not to procede with working on my car as it is likely that the head cylinder and block will also have to be replaced along with the gasket, and any warranty I might have will be voided if he starts removing things. The cost of this will be between 5 and 6K. I sent an e-mail to Toyota UK last night to see where I stood, but this is starting to become a nightmare as I'm only driving the car six weeks.

Yep! I thought you'd have to do that an all. You just can't skim the head on these cars. Like Ormi said... It has to be a new block ect.

Hope all goes well :thumbsup:

you could skim the head / block

but then you may have to use an aftermarket thicker headgasket.

good luck finding one of those....no other companys make them yet

you will get....................

a new block

new shells

new thrust washers

new pistons

new rings

new head

new water pump

all gaskets

egr if needed

and two years warranty on the engine...

glad to hear you dont need to pay mate"

One side note - head gasket is not a problem ... it is the consequence. So even when you figure out how to fix it, you will still need to find why it went at the first place. Is your car over 100k?

That's very true in most cases but I believe with the problem with the 2AD-FHV engine was the poor design of the cooling channels making the engine more susceptible to HG failure.

Nope 77K :( however I have mates who's IS220D have 150K and haven't failed yet...

1 hour ago, peachy said:

Mine went twice. The previous owner had it replaced at 30k under warranty and when I owned it it went at 68k.

Unbelievable. Would you be able to tell me more about the second repair? i.e. head skimmed? if so by how much (mm), which head gasket manufacturer did you use for replacement? How is the car holding up now if you still own it?

• 3 weeks later...