Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

new tax bands in april

I think it's a bit more complicated than your one and a half lines suggest. :lol:

New cars only get the big hits, cars registered before April 2017 will remain in there previous tax bands, I would expect the tax to go up slightly as per most budgets.

Yes, it's only for newly registered cars.

The worst bit is the "envy tax" premium for cars valued over £40K. Expect to see a realignment of models to come in just under this limit.

• Like 1

Lexus IS 300h Hybrid auto Luxury up 950% over 3 years :blink:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

The CT, currently zero rated, will go up to £100 in the first year and the standard £140 per year after that. That alone wouldn't put me off buying another one but it does play into the equation. 

Frankly I think it is time to stop VED all together and just tax the fuel. As long as pure electrics are exempt from VED anyway then taxing the fuel means:

• Someone with a sports car that is used only at weekends - therefore polluting less than someone doing 10k of a commute a year in a small hatchback doesn't get penalised
  • Tax on fuel is much more difficult to avoid paying
  • Tax on fuel is somewhat in line with the pollution caused and wear and tear on the road network
  • Tax on fuel alone could save money by scrapping all the administration involved
  • Diesels would have to pay their fair share as the current system is too focused on CO2 and forgets the damage done by soot and other particles expelled in greater quantity by diesel vehicles.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, colin79666 said:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

The CT, currently zero rated, will go up to £100 in the first year and the standard £140 per year after that. That alone wouldn't put me off buying another one but it does play into the equation. 

Frankly I think it is time to stop VED all together and just tax the fuel. As long as pure electrics are exempt from VED anyway then taxing the fuel means:

• Someone with a sports car that is used only at weekends - therefore polluting less than someone doing 10k of a commute a year in a small hatchback doesn't get penalised
  • Tax on fuel is somewhat in line with the pollution caused and wear and tear on the road network
  • Tax on fuel alone could save money by scrapping all the administration involved
  • Diesels would have to pay their fair share as the current system is too focused on CO2 and forgets the damage done by soot and other particles expelled in greater quantity by diesel vehicles.

You make some good points Colin and I agree with you.

Incidentally, in the "Great Scheme of Things", 950% of peanuts is still peanuts !    :):):)

Regards

John

Current (pre-April 2017) vehicle VED tax bands: table 

VED Band CO2 Emissions Annual rate First year rate
A Up to 100 g/km £0 £0
B 101-110 g/km £20 £0
C 111-120 g/km £30 £0
D 121-130 g/km £110 £0
E 131-140 g/km £130 £130
F 141-150 g/km £145 £145
G 151-165 g/km £185 £185
H 166-175 g/km £210 £300
I 176-185 g/km £230 £355
J 186-200 g/km £270 £500
K* 201-225 g/km £295 £650
L 226-255 g/km £500 £885
M Over 255 g/km £515 £1,120

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Discounts are ignored as it is the vehicle`s list price plus options list price that determines taxable sum.

Regards

John 

That's what I said .. or at least ment

Thinking of buying a new RC 300h F-sport this year?

Better get ur skates on before April.

Cost Car £38,495, Paint £625 and Lexus Navigation  Total cost £40,115

Road tax will be £450 each year , keep the car 5 years that's a total of £2250.

Buy a 66 plate or March 2017 and you will pay ZERO the 1st year , then only £30 a year for each of the next 4 years.  Total £120 for 5 years.

This is a saving of £2130 on Road Tax over the same period.

• Like 1

So they are now taxing on emissions, age and now value... the list goes on!

Well be thankful you don't live in Ireland.... tax here in the UK is relatively cheap

21 hours ago, Lexie04 said:

Thinking of buying a new RC 300h F-sport this year?

Better get ur skates on before April.

Cost Car £38,495, Paint £625 and Lexus Navigation  Total cost £40,115

Road tax will be £450 each year , keep the car 5 years that's a total of £2250.

Buy a 66 plate or March 2017 and you will pay ZERO the 1st year , then only £30 a year for each of the next 4 years.  Total £120 for 5 years.

This is a saving of £2130 on Road Tax over the same period.

Expect to see a modification in list prices with all the options from the manufacturer ;)

On 15/01/2017 at 0:25 PM, colin79666 said:

This was suggested decades ago. The reason for NOT doing away with tax discs/tax was that it would cause unemployment in Swansea!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links