Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Real World MPG Figures

Checked the tyre pressures. They were 35 all round. I have just had a service, so Lexus probably put them back up. .  

I'm thinking the 225 fronts and 255 rears have an impact on reducing MPG. As does the extra weight of the premier. . .  

I will keep on looking at issues and hope that hotter weather helps the hybrid system. I will also revise driving habits 

Get a life guys. Is economy really that important to you when the difference between say 40 and 45mpg for average mileage drivers over their ownership period is a relatively small part of the total ownership costs. Depreciation and other running costs outstrip differences in fuel economy by some margin. I'd be far happier if my Lexus didn't need servicing every 10k miles to be honest

• Like 4

Hi @paulrnx you're right. My concern was that my car was nearly 20mpg away from the official figures. I wanted to check if this was right. The 60,000 service has now been completed and I'm thinking that the extra weight and different tyre size on the Premium might be the issue in real world terms.

• Like 1

Completely agree, Paul 

Over 10,000 miles, at 117.9 pence per litre, 40mpg will cost you £1339.96. 45mpg will cost you £1191.08.

Total difference £148.88.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matt8 said:

Completely agree, Paul 

Over 10,000 miles, at 117.9 pence per litre, 40mpg will cost you £1339.96. 45mpg will cost you £1191.08.

Total difference £148.88.

But I am currently averaging 55 mpg , so compared to 40 mpg that's a saving of close to £450 , not bad in a year ? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

But I am currently averaging 55 mpg , so compared to 40 mpg that's a saving of close to £450 , not bad in a year ? 

Yes. However, I shared these numbers for illustrative purposes only. If you've consistently got 55 MPG then there is nothing you can personally compare it to, and no saving to be concluded. I posted the above in response to the figures Paul mentioned, and the typical differences people were noting between summer and winter.

Bottom line, enjoy the drive and the experience, and don't worry about fuel economy too much! :-) 

• Like 1

Matt8 definatly going to enjoy. I'm going to pick up a 14 plate 300h luxury this week, fingers crossed it all checks out when I go to the trader :yahoo:can't wait.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My Wife has just returned from her first long distance drive in the car. 150 mile round trip to Leyburn. Before she left I set the MPG to 0 and left the car in Normal.

She doesn't know the difference between a Hybrid and a Horse so just drives it like a normal car never uses Eco or Sports mode or bothering to lift off to engage EV going through villages.. The Computer showed 57.5 MPG for the trip. I was impressed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MONTIMAR said:

My Wife has just returned from her first long distance drive in the car. 150 mile round trip to Leyburn. Before she left I set the MPG to 0 and left the car in Normal.

She doesn't know the difference between a Hybrid and a Horse so just drives it like a normal car never uses Eco or Sports mode or bothering to lift off to engage EV going through villages.. The Computer showed 57.5 MPG for the trip. I was impressed.

What was the average speed?

On 06/06/2017 at 6:50 PM, MONTIMAR said:

57.5 MPG is very good, I can get 55 mpg , but really struggle to do that , driving super careful etc 

Barely checking my NX fuel economy nowadays. I'm more concerned by a lack of driver enjoyment. It happened to me when I had an IS300h before. I drove my wife's Mini Cooper 1.5t to work the other day, a round trip of 100 miles. So much more fun and I got 53mpg. I know you can't directly compare a manual Mini Cooper with an NX hybrid but I finished the day with a smile on my face and I don't get that with my NX. Refined, luxurious and comfortable sure but almost zero enjoyment now I'm over the honeymoon period of onwnership. Have to see how the next few months go

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Barely checking my NX fuel economy nowadays. I'm more concerned by a lack of driver enjoyment. It happened to me when I had an IS300h before. I drove my wife's Mini Cooper 1.5t to work the other day, a round trip of 100 miles. So much more fun and I got 53mpg. I know you can't directly compare a manual Mini Cooper with an NX hybrid but I finished the day with a smile on my face and I don't get that with my NX. Refined, luxurious and comfortable sure but almost zero enjoyment now I'm over the honeymoon period of onwnership. Have to see how the next few months go

I'm thinking about the NX after the IS . I'm still happy with the IS but should have taken my time looking for one , I miss the rear view camera and electric seats that I had on my Jaguar XF . I just had an RX for a courtesy car , while the IS was being serviced , very nice , but big price tag and just over 30 mpg .  I do like the Mini, but need something bigger when driving to and from Spain .

13 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Life is far too short to waste driving around in a car that doesn't put a smile on your face. 

I agree with your assessment of the IS/NX300H interms of fun. Lucky I hardly have to drive ours expect to move it around the driveway. I keep on pushing my wife to chop it in (its her car), hopefully when she test drives the iPace sometime next year we can wave goodbye to it.

Nothing wrong with the car, but it's like driving around whilst watching paint dry. 

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Nothing wrong with the car, but it's like driving around whilst watching paint dry. 

A bit harsh Gang!

I would love to watch paint dry in your wife's Lexus!

• Like 1

That's me.....and every one of my friends

What does having fun mean on typical British roads? In my opinion if fun equates to exploring the dynamical limits of your car there is no place for fun on the public highway. Take your car to a track day if you want that. When I recently changed from Alfa Romeo to Lexus a friend joked I'd bought an old man's car. Well, I am getting older :) Decent comfort, good build quality reputation, enough power if I need it, different drive system to anything I've had before so something to be technically interested in. That's why I went for an IS300h rather than a supposedly more dynamical capable Alfa Guila or Jag XE. Not trying to flame any fires on my second post here. Just my opinion :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve_S said:

That's me.....and every one of my friends

What does having fun mean on typical British roads? In my opinion if fun equates to exploring the dynamical limits of your car there is no place for fun on the public highway. Take your car to a track day if you want that. When I recently changed from Alfa Romeo to Lexus a friend joked I'd bought an old man's car. Well, I am getting older :) Decent comfort, good build quality reputation, enough power if I need it, different drive system to anything I've had before so something to be technically interested in. That's why I went for an IS300h rather than a supposedly more dynamical capable Alfa Guila or Jag XE. Not trying to flame any fires on my second post here. Just my opinion :)

On 10/06/2017 at 3:50 PM, paulrnx said:

Totally agree , if there are any racers here, they would be better off buying a BMW M5 .

i don't associate a Lexus with racing round corners , I want comfort , style , equipment, reliability 

with some power when neeeded . 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...