Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clarkson IS-F test?

I've watched that a number of times 3 wet journalists on a miserable wet day in Wales.

They looked about as happy to be there as Theresa May's husband watching the Donald hand in hand with his wife 😩

Not that I'm biased but it was a pretty rubbish amateurish review by two of the 3 who should have known better.

Ive said a number of times on here who's really pulling the financial strings.

Big Rat

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

Never had had 2 E46 M3's one a csl

Agree with motoring journalist thing pretty much all of them are in a manufacturers pocket to a lesser or great degree,

Had a 335i m convertible on run flats a bloody chariot on cobbles would be more comfortable. 

Gotta love the IS-F on the whole.

Bug Rat

Absolutely. The Badge has never been the most important thing to me, it's the car that counts. I always find it interesting to compare the difference between the UK and the US reviews. The US always seem far more positive when comparing the F against the German rivals. I think EVO magazine were the only ones to see what a good car the F is. 

Not that it matters what anyone thinks to be honest. It's what's kept it such a rare car, and it still makes me smile to see people's reaction when you pull away from them like they are parked, because they haven't got a clue what a serious perfance car the F is. 

• Like 2

Just watched yesterday's Clarkson GSF review again and starts with "it's a Lexus which marks it's owner as a golf enthusiast and possibly a bore". You've got to laugh. Anyone for golf?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAW said:

Absolutely. The Badge has never been the most important thing to me, it's the car that counts. I always find it interesting to compare the difference between the UK and the US reviews. The US always seem far more positive when comparing the F against the German rivals. I think EVO magazine were the only ones to see what a good car the F is. 

Not that it matters what anyone thinks to be honest. It's what's kept it such a rare car, and it still makes me smile to see people's reaction when you pull away from them like they are parked, because they haven't got a clue what a serious perfance car the F is. 

Yep Yep Yep !

Big Rat

I've been searching for the Evo magazine long term articles, can't get them on line access denied even though I'm an online and paper subscriber, cancelled recently.

As a matter of interest the car they had on the fleet has not been taxed or insured since 2012 it was an 08 car

index GY08 OPA.

Scrapped written off ?

The Aussie mags also did good reviews 👍

Big Rat

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 6:28 PM, Big Rat said:

I've been searching for the Evo magazine long term articles, can't get them on line access denied even though I'm an online and paper subscriber, cancelled recently.

As a matter of interest the car they had on the fleet has not been taxed or insured since 2012 it was an 08 car

index GY08 OPA.

Scrapped written off ?

The Aussie mags also did good reviews 👍

Big Rat

@Big Rat I found the Evo review (and whole archived magazine in fact) on amazon. Will share the review once it arrives. 

• Like 2

Well done for finding it although this isn't the one I read funnily enough.

The one I had was a road test comparison between the IS-F (in Mesa red) with an M3 & RS4 and if I remember correctly the IS-F came out on top.  So that's at least 3 good reviews from EVO including the second hand buyers review that Peter was involved in around the time of the RCF's arrival.

But thanks again for finding this article - nice to read one of these rare factual and unbiased reviews!!

• Like 1

Well done Mark good find, again as someone else has said obviously this car is a left hooker and not the EVO long term test car from 2008.

There were approaching 12 articles over nearly a year they had the car which was Mesa Red registration number GY08 OPA.

This was a well used press car and has not been taxed or mot/insured since 2012.

I have found thIs EVO Magazine car they took over to Wales with an E92 M3 which was also of a similar colour, this again was one of many articles they ran.

http://is-f-2008-2014/351635-evo-magazine-M3-vs-is-f.html

Now I don't know if this will work on here but you can try for yourselves .

Big Rat

Edited by Big Rat
SEE NEXT POST FOR LINK TO ARTICLE

1 minute ago, emjay82 said:

Good work @Big Rat :yahoo:

Thanx matey I've fired off a cheque to the back copies dept to get the rest of it, when I get it all I'll give some thought how to get all on here .

The article above was in the May 2008 magazine.

Big Rat

Hi Paul,

Blimey their really coming out of the wood work now and I hadn't read this one either. What the hell was I doing with my life during that period!! :wink3:

Again many thanks for finding it. Will have to look and see if I've still got the copy of the article I mentioned. Pretty sure I kept it because it was after reading it that I decided the IS-F was a car I was interested in. At the time I was getting pretty tired of having issues with my BMW's together with the attitude of the bloody dealerships, so going back to a car as potentially reliable as my old Supra was really appealling.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DAW said:

Hi Paul,

Blimey their really coming out of the wood work now and I hadn't read this one either. What the hell was I doing with my life during that period!! :wink3:

Again many thanks for finding it. Will have to look and see if I've still got the copy of the article I mentioned. Pretty sure I kept it because it was after reading it that I decided the IS-F was a car I was interested in. At the time I was getting pretty tired of having issues with my BMW's together with the attitude of the bloody dealerships, so going back to a car as potentially reliable as my old Supra was really appealling.

Hi David

its funny how life is with these things at times, I subscribed to EVO from about the middle of 2007 and kept them all, mainly for the BM's I had at that time, they to apart from the M335i Convertible  I had all turned to be a pain in the ***** as well as the purse !

I to was determined on an IS-F but they were still quite a lot then about the mid 40k and I could not justify it with the refurb properties I was buying  as well.

Due to the angst over the Bm's I took all the mags to the local doctors surgery for the waiting room !

Typical wish I had them now 😕

Hey ho

Big Rat

EVO is a key source of car information for me; many of mine have been awarded 5 stars by them. Though I noticed the IS-F was downgraded to 4 1/2 stars after a few years. 

On the subject of EVO they had a massive turnover of staff in the latter part of 2016, and the digital version of the mag was changed dramatically for the worse in my opinion, so I've cancelled my subscription to both. Got an e-mail asking why,come back etc etc.

No was the reply because you've never responded to any of my previous enquirys on various matters, so what's the point.

Gonna get modern classics like @Mark G instead.

Big Rat

3 hours ago, Big Rat said:

On the subject of EVO they had a massive turnover of staff in the latter part of 2016, and the digital version of the mag was changed dramatically for the worse in my opinion, so I've cancelled my subscription to both. Got an e-mail asking why,come back etc etc.

No was the reply because you've never responded to any of my previous enquirys on various matters, so what's the point.

Gonna get modern classics like @Mark G instead.

Big Rat

Decent magazine, some of the content is a little OTT for my liking but the era is mine and I can relate to a lot of the owners cars they feature.

• Like 1