Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2001 GS430 rad from USA different...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new radiator for my sons 2001 GS430, I can only find 1 for sale here in UK at £175 plus postage.

But it would be a lot cheaper to get one from the states including delivery, duty etc.

Only thing is, the american ones have the filler cap, but ours have a bleed screw instead.

Does anybody know if this would still be ok as a replacement?

Tony.

Do you have a pic of what you mean re: bleed screw? Reason I ask, is mine has a filler cap on it. Which either means it is meant to have, or mine has been changed, which may well mean what you are looking at may well fit if thats what has been done to mine.

Thanks Tony. 

Is that definitely what your sons rad is like?

When I look at part numbers in the past, the SC430 radiator was a cross match for the GS430 one. ToyoDIY lists two radiator part numbers for the GS430, 98-01 and 01-onwards. Both number cross ref to SC and GS430 98-05. Which is confusing in itself!

As the cooling system has a header/expansion tank the radiator filler cap is really superfluous hence the bleed screw on the later models, so either rads will be ok to fit this also applies to the SC series  

• Like 2

Having the cap on the radiator does make it easier to fill the system without air locks.

The system with a rad cap only uses a flat non pressurised cap "no one way valve" on the rad the pressure cap being on the expansion tank.

Filling the system should be done through the radiator cap filling to the brim. Any coolant expansion that takes place will go into the expansion tank, and be drawn back from the tank to the rad as the liquid cools, and contracts.

John

• Like 1

21 hours ago, soramad said:

As the cooling system has a header/expansion tank the radiator filler cap is really superfluous hence the bleed screw on the later models, so either rads will be ok to fit this also applies to the SC series  

Thank you ;)

8 hours ago, Britprius said:

Having the cap on the radiator does make it easier to fill the system without air locks.

The system with a rad cap only uses a flat non pressurised cap "no one way valve" on the rad the pressure cap being on the expansion tank.

Filling the system should be done through the radiator cap filling to the brim. Any coolant expansion that takes place will go into the expansion tank, and be drawn back from the tank to the rad as the liquid cools, and contracts.

John

Thanks John, the rad from the states doesn't include the cap, is it a standard fit that I can get from a motor factors?

22 minutes ago, Tony9r said:

Thanks John, the rad from the states doesn't include the cap, is it a standard fit that I can get from a motor factors?

Yes the cap is available from motor factors, and is pretty much standard. Perhaps surpisingly an ordinary pressure cap can be used in this position without problems.

John

43 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Yes the cap is available from motor factors, and is pretty much standard. Perhaps surpisingly an ordinary pressure cap can be used in this position without problems.

John

Thanks John

It seems that euro spec models have been fitted with both types but USA spec with only one (the pressure cap version 16400-50260)

The exploded diagram shows both types for RHD models and there are 2 different part numbers

Up to 06/2001 16400-50270.

Post 06/2001   16400-50271.

Are there no places left in the UK that actually repair or rebuild radiators any more as all the component parts seems to be freely available to do so.

IMG_0513.PNG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tony9r said:

Just noticed that the rad I'm looking at from the states doesn't have the fitting for the expansion tank pipe... :ohmy:

rad top.jpg

Yes it does. It is fitted on the side of the filler neck just below the filler cap visible in your picture.

John

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Yes it does. It is fitted on the side of the filler neck just below the filler cap visible in your picture.

John

This is what happened when I replaced the radiators on both of my LS430's.  The original one had a hose connection at the end which went to the expansion tank, 10mm if I remember correctly, but the new ones didn't, but the small pipe below the filler cap (as in the above picture) on the original rad was solid, in other words blocked.  On the replacement one the pipe was open, so I just connected a longer piece of hose from that to the expansion tank.  Approximately 10k miles later and all is fine.   Hopefully that made some sense!

• Like 1

Well, I think we are going to go for the UK one to be on the safe side, as I know it's exactly the same as whats in the car now.

£175 is pretty steep, but just found out the price includes free next day delivery and 1 years warranty :wink3:

Many thanks for all your input guy's :winkiss:

1 hour ago, TigerFish said:

that seems pretty reasonable :smile:

Quite honestly I don't think the price is too bad either, especially as it'll save all the hassle of trying to improvise or adapt one.

• Like 1