Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone have a buying guide for a LS430?

So really want to scratch the itch that is to own a LS. Something that has been bugging me ever since I was a lad and saw the LS400 for the first time :cool:

However, didn't want to spend more than 5k. Essentially trying reduce my exposure in case the dream turns into a nightmare!

So...anyone have a buying guide/tips for the LS430 please? Just to clarify, the main reason I'm looking at the 430 (and not the 400) is because I need ISOFIX points for the kiddies seats...still need to keep things a little practical :)

Cheers guys. Any help is much appreciated.

• 1star.png
Here are some of things u should check:

Make sure it has a full or at least a good service history which includes the cambelt change.

On driving the ride should be quite smooth comfortable with no noises or creaks from the suspension.

Gearbox changes should not be noticeable

Upon inserting key the steering should tilt and retract - test and make sure the mechanism works as motors are very expensive

Braking should be quite and smooth - if you get a groaning noise when coming to stop that’s a sign of cheap aftermarket brake pads - they will need replacing.

Check colour of gearbox oil it should be red with no smell of burning.

Check all electrics work

Check the Sat Nav works - there have been reports of some failures

Check the sound system properly to ensure no blown door speakers or woofer

Check the air suspension works  - when the switch is flicked the car should rise about at inch slowly - and the compressor does not make any noises

Check the bonnet struts hold the bonnet

Check the car has the correct Toyota red coolant

Check for rust around the doors near the plastic trim and around the boot area

Check rear quarter panel glass for cloudiness - this indicates the glazing has failed - mainly of pre facelift

Ask if the cabin filter has ever been changed - these are often over looked.

Check the bonnet pull works as it should - some of them fail

Check toolkit is present

Make sure there are no warning lights lit in the dash

Ideally you want 3 remote keys

Check the car has a matching set of tyres and wether they are branded or not - this should give an indication wether the car has been pampered or neglected

Before driving off make sure you have the say nav code and locking wheel nut key.
  • Like 2

I think you shouldn't be put off by any bad reports, any car of this age will suffer but I think due to the Lexus build it should suffer less.  The problem is getting a genuine one and not one that's being sold due to an underlying problem.  I was fortunate enough to find one that was owned and garaged by the last owner for over 10 years, and with full main dealer history, and it was immediately apparent when I went to view it that it was well looked after, so they can be found.  It just takes time.  Having said all that mine may be going this year as pension age has finally caught up with me!

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

I hope you'll give me first refusal!  I must come and look at it when this wretched chest infection finally goes.

Loads of people seem to have it at the moment, a chest infection that is, not my car!  I remember when I last saw your LS, it made wonder why I ever got rid of mine.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

............you might need to change the radiator for peace of mind but first check there are zero gearbox oil leaks into the radiator etc

Malc

Sound advice, plus it's cheap and easy.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links