Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just looking

slowprop

Hi guys,

I am on the run up to early retirement within the next year or so and will be handing the company car back.

I've not needed to buy my own car since the 1980s and am quite looking forward to choosing one.

I like the look of the GS250. I won't be covering terribly high mileage and I want a petrol automatic. They seem to also be something of a used bargain. Looks like a lot of car for the money as well as being something you don't see every day. 

I intend to hang around for a bit and see if some of the knowledge sticks.

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum.  😀

The lexus GS is a lovely car and as you say you don't see them every day and it's always nice to own something different isn't it?

I currently own the IS250 and I'm guessing it's basically the same engine and gearbox. You certainly won't be disappointed with the petrol auto. It's lovely and smooth and quiet. By far the best car I've ever owned. 

Be sure to post some pics of your lovely new lexus 😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum.  😀

The lexus GS is a lovely car and as you say you don't see them every day and it's always nice to own something different isn't it?

I currently own the IS250 and I'm guessing it's basically the same engine and gearbox. You certainly won't be disappointed with the petrol auto. It's lovely and smooth and quiet. By far the best car I've ever owned. 

Be sure to post some pics of your lovely new lexus 😀

Thanks Rebecca. Pleased you are liking yours. And yes it is nice to have something unusual. It's one of the things I like about the motorcycle I've owned for 10 years. It's a Japanese bike but a US import not sold officially in the UK and it always gets people's interest. Who wants the same beastie as everyone else ? 

22 hours ago, Farqui said:

Welcome, have you seen any cars that interest you?

Good luck in your search.

So far I've just been doing a bit of looking on Auto trader etc. No point doing much more than that until I know where I am work wise. Although not that common there were 7 or 8 on there which would have been worth a look. Something to look forward to. I guess it'll be my first retirement 'project' when the time comes. Hopefully not too long ! 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 9:07 PM, slowprop said:

Hi guys,

I am on the run up to early retirement within the next year or so and will be handing the company car back.

I've not needed to buy my own car since the 1980s and am quite looking forward to choosing one.

I like the look of the GS250. I won't be covering terribly high mileage and I want a petrol automatic. They seem to also be something of a used bargain. Looks like a lot of car for the money as well as being something you don't see every day. 

I intend to hang around for a bit and see if some of the knowledge sticks.

Had it for 3 years and more than 30K miles. absolutely beautiful car, go and get it!

11 hours ago, talaipwros said:

Had it for 3 years and more than 30K miles. absolutely beautiful car, go and get it!

Nice to know. Thanks. 

I'll probably try to get one with reasonably low mileage and a full service history and not too many previous owners. I'm prepared to pay a bit extra to get that and hope it's worth it in the long run in terms of reliability and enjoyment (I hate stuff that doesn't work).

Not sure at this stage whether it's best to go to a Franchised dealer. Something I need to look into. Or maybe even keep my eyes open here nearer the time. I don't need to rush into it as I have my motorbike and will also be getting a small car as a runaround for my wife which I can use providing I beg !

....................  you know the car you have now so why not see if your employer can sell it to you at an advantageous price etc ?        is it a Lexus ?

or is it really time for that change and to spend your money and take your chances !

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

....................  you know the car you have now so why not see if your employer can sell it to you at an advantageous price etc ?        is it a Lexus ?

or is it really time for that change and to spend your money and take your chances !

Malc

I can buy it from them once it's due to be changed, or if I leave the company. But TBH I'm not that keen on it. It's a Peugeot and it's OK but that's all really. I probably wouldn't want it for myself and my Wife wants something a bit smaller.

Hoping I am going to be able to leave within the next year though. 40 years I've had enough ! So not long to wait.