Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It is noticeable that GS , not in base version has Sport and sport+ settings, with the difference of standard and variable suspension, without speaking  of rear steering wheels  and adaptive steering of GS 450 FSport. So, I suspect that who wrote to have a better feeling with IS tested the lowest version of GS.

I test drove the GS300H Luxury spec, I don't know what it is called in the UK. It drove noticeably different compared to an IS300H F-sport. I doubt the GS300H with Sport + would make the car feel any different. The GS450H F-Sport with steering rear wheels is another beast entirely, but sadly it's too expensive and overkill for my needs.

3 minutes ago, marrat said:

I test drove the GS300H Luxury spec, I don't know what it is called in the UK. It drove noticeably different compared to an IS300H F-sport.

Luxury.

Being a owner of GS 300h with 19" wheels , I can say that while in sport mode the change is mainly in throttle response, when in sport+ the difference   is very noticeable also in rigidity and precision.

The GS is not as dynamic as the IS, - its bigger and heavier. I wouldnt expect it to drive like an IS, the IS is more of a sport saloon the GS a luxury car, so the  GS is more about refinement and less about throwing into corners, which suits this type of car for me. Having said that the GS is very sure footed with a good amount of grip, and rides better - it has a longer wheelbase and wider track so sits better on the road. Its also more refined.

N.B. Im comparing current GS with previous IS - Ive not driven the current IS.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zotto said:

Being a owner of GS 300h with 19" wheels , I can say that while in sport mode the change is mainly in throttle response, when in sport+ the difference   is very noticeable also in rigidity and precision.

That sounds right - Sport mode sharpens the throttle response noticabley and sharpens the steering (by 10% I believe) but the steering change is less perceptible (although i mostly use sport for overtaking and standing acceleration). The sport + is only on cars withe the adaptable suspension which firms up in this mode, I think it may sharpen the steering a bit more than in sport as well.

19 hours ago, marrat said:

I test drove the GS300H Luxury spec, I don't know what it is called in the UK. It drove noticeably different compared to an IS300H F-sport. I doubt the GS300H with Sport + would make the car feel any different. The GS450H F-Sport with steering rear wheels is another beast entirely, but sadly it's too expensive and overkill for my needs.

it would feel different, F sport have stiffer suspension than Luxury, and on top of that the GS is heavier and with a longer wheelbase.

I love my GS 250, but with a bit more budget a GS40h F sport would be close to my ideal car. A GSF would be my ideal car, just need to win the lottery.

About steering, I found differences between my former 2008 GS 450h and my GS 300h that , in my opinion , is better.

My 450h had variable ratio steer, so when I drove in normal mode the ratio requested too many rounds to do on steering wheel, to have a better ratio I needed to switch to sport mode, but at this point it needed more effort to rotate steering wheel: with GS 300h that has NOT variable ratio steering, the ratio is just right in normal mode, requesting more effort switching to sport+ while adaptive suspension get stiffer too, and I prefer this way, so to have a steering ratio I like also when driving in normal mode.

hi guys, lots of comments regarding RX/GS change, just been on round trip to west of Manchester to see grandkids, car was very impressive on the drive .the RX would have me relocating my derriere several times even thou it was comfy 'the GS was superb, never moved once I was settled in my seat.car ran faultless all the way average on readout on dash 42 impressive. I stayed with the traffic 70+most of the time car just a standard GS executive. as I say very impressed .must be the car ? her who must be obeyed fell asleep coming back ontop of windy hill as I said VERY impressed. still finding new toys it has as standard ,on my old stamping grounds around the country lanes it is a lot better than the RX only thing we miss so far is the hatchback of the RX.  polish.

• Like 2

On 03/02/2017 at 8:27 PM, polish said:

hi guys, lots of comments regarding RX/GS change, just been on round trip to west of Manchester to see grandkids, car was very impressive on the drive .the RX would have me relocating my derriere several times even thou it was comfy 'the GS was superb, never moved once I was settled in my seat.car ran faultless all the way average on readout on dash 42 impressive. I stayed with the traffic 70+most of the time car just a standard GS executive. as I say very impressed .must be the car ? her who must be obeyed fell asleep coming back ontop of windy hill as I said VERY impressed. still finding new toys it has as standard ,on my old stamping grounds around the country lanes it is a lot better than the RX only thing we miss so far is the hatchback of the RX.  polish.

Horses for courses but I actually found the 3RX more comfortable than the 4GS450h (Luxury spec).  I simply didn't get on with the newer, firmer and shorter seating of the gen 4 GS nor the firmer ride.   I also found the newer GS to be a little more unsettled over slightly rough road surfaces than the slightly softer sprung Gen3.  I came from a Gen3 GS which I much preferred and thought a more refined drive over the newer versions, and far from "handling like a boat" as someone remarked quite a few posts back, it was a very sure footed and safe handling car.  

Seating on that arguably had the edge over the RX, but having covered many hundreds of miles this past month in the RX F-Sport, I've found the seating superb.  It is supportive and makes you feel more like you're sat in, rather than on the seating.  It is more cosseting.  I've had rear passengers fall asleep, and the reclining seats are a great bonus for them along with improved leg room.  Must admit, I couldn't get on with the Luxury spec RX.  The F-sport handling makes all the difference for me, and cross-country, I doubt that with a hurry-on, there'd be any real world advantage with the GS save for fuel economy of the hybrid versions.  I actually reckon that the 4RX F-soprt out-handles the Gen 3 GS (NOT so the Luxury spec RX!).  It ceratinly corners flat and with 4 wheel drive to help, has a traction advantage under power.

• Like 1

I also don't get the "handling like a boat" comment!

I came to my GS300h from a 2009 Merc E Class. 

The Lexus feels a LOT smaller and handles as such. The boot is smaller, and the back seats too, which are really only suitable for 2 people. The middle rear seat is no good for anyone other than a midget for 10 minutes.

I also find the ride not as smooth or quiet as I'd hoped (I posted about that before). There's a tremendous amount of road noise - more than any other car I have ever owned, I'd say. Possibly the tyres, who knows. 

I think I must have a very well set up car ,it holds the road a lot better than the RX it replaced. Before I moved to Lexus I ran Volvo for many years last one was S80 fine car. theGS is on a par with theS80 but is a lot quieter. The only time I have had a noisy ride so far was a patch on the M18 very old course surface, wind noise was an issue for me in the RX but this car very quiet, I have not seen the lux version so carn't comment, but my three gandkids fit ok,thats all i'm botherd about . my onley criticism so far ,may be i'm wrong but it could do with larger electric moter,better qualified people will no dought tell me so .

1 hour ago, polish said:

I think I must have a very well set up car ,it holds the road a lot better than the RX it replaced. Before I moved to Lexus I ran Volvo for many years last one was S80 fine car. theGS is on a par with theS80 but is a lot quieter. The only time I have had a noisy ride so far was a patch on the M18 very old course surface, wind noise was an issue for me in the RX but this car very quiet, I have not seen the lux version so carn't comment, but my three gandkids fit ok,thats all i'm botherd about . my onley criticism so far ,may be i'm wrong but it could do with larger electric moter,better qualified people will no dought tell me so .

You're comparing rabbits to dolphins here. Surely the GS is going to hold the road better than an RX - It weighs significantly less and has a lower centre of gravity.

sorry rayaans,.  I was referring the handling to the Volvo It was a d5 sport more like 5 SER/BM,n I am not experiencing any of the problems others are getting. the car is still brand new so time will tell with age faults will [ maybe  ] appear.  polish

On 13/02/2017 at 8:06 PM, polish said:

Oddly enough, I find little difference in the way my RX holds the road against my Gen3 GS. The sport dampers certainly play their part.  When pushed,  the RX will start to run wide before the RWD GS, but it has to be pushed hard for that to happen...probably too hard for sensible driving on UK roads anyway.  On the track you would notice a difference but that's not the environment we're in.  On the road, I'd say between the RX F-Sport and GS300, the RX feels just as sure footed.  Not so the non-F--Sport versions I've driven though!  The Gen3 GS would run rings around them.  Newer GS is better but I never found the ride as refined in the Gen4 as I did in the GS300 Gen 3.  It didn't have as firm suspension as the Gs430 or 450h, and that was a good thing for ride comfort.

I've had many Volvos, the last being a 2009 S60D5 SE. The GS out handled that easily. The Volvo had a lot of torque and power through the front wheels but was more of a boat compared with the GS.  In fact, the RX F-Sport would out-handle the S60, extra weight and all.  The Volvo was crying out for a rear anti-roll bar to help control dip at the front corners.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links