Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Takata Airbag Recall

I understand from a  'What Car' that there is a big recall on airbags supplied between 2002 and 2015 made by Takata. Below is an extract from the article. As you see Lexus is one of the makers affected;

'Last week, airbag maker Takata conceded that it had hidden evidence of a potentially lethal airbag inflator problem that has been attributed to 12 deaths and 180 injuries in the USA.

It agreed to pay $1 billion (£820 million) in penalties, comprising a $25m fine, $125m compensation to people killed or injured by the airbags and $850m to car makers using them.

Here’s what we know so far:

What is the issue?

It centres on metal inflator cartridge inside the driver and front passenger airbags of vehicles, which in some cases has ruptured during a crash spraying shards of metal into the interior.

We don’t yet have details of all the UK models affected, but it is believed that 42 million are affected in the USA and the remaining 58 million are spread around the rest of the world. The vehicles were produced between 2002 and 2015.

Honda has the most models affected, but the other brands involved include Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford, Infiniti, [Jaguar]http://www.whatcar.com/jaguar/, Jeep, Land Rover, Lexus, Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Saab, Subaru, Tesla, Toyota and Volkswagen.'

• 2 weeks later...

My Legend was recalled for both frontal passenger airbags (got the letter summer 2016 and yesterday received a call from Honda HQ as I was in a priority list to attend to get them replaced. But I have already sold the car. I did not want to drive around with a pottential bag of nails blowing on my face. (well there are no nails but you know what I am trying to say).

Ineed this has been an ongoing issue for a couple of years, I am sure Toyota has been the most helpful I have read that dealers have assisted disabling the airbags at the request of owners until the replacement took place. Something Honda would not even talk about.