Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

bowmaj

Hi all I've just bought an is 220d 70k miles 57 plate. I like it my only issue is the brake are a death trap. thought it would be just a simple fix but the more I read the more I'm worried. I press the brake and nothing happens until the pedal is half way down and then it brakes too hard any ideas on how to fix this?

• Like 1

I guess seized calipers. So you might be lucky and replacing pins going to help, or you need to replace calipers. That is all assuming you have bled the system and have no air or leaks anywhere.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 1/21/2017 at 11:26 AM, bowmaj said:

Hi all I've just bought an is 220d 70k miles 57 plate. I like it my only issue is the brake are a death trap. thought it would be just a simple fix but the more I read the more I'm worried. I press the brake and nothing happens until the pedal is half way down and then it brakes too hard any ideas on how to fix this?

I've got exactly the same brake feeling when I first drove my IS250 (58 plate) two days ago. The brakes on my car also squeak at low speed when I am about to stop. I thought the pads are nearly gone, but they are fine.

Let me know if you solve the issue. 

I had a similar problem myself when I first bought my IS250. After a full service at my local garage including brake fluid change and greasing of all brake caliper slider pins (which I specifically asked them to do) the brakes have been perfect since.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goodfella1 said:

I've got exactly the same brake feeling when I first drove my IS250 (58 plate) two days ago. The brakes on my car also squeak at low speed when I am about to stop. I thought the pads are nearly gone, but they are fine.

Let me know if you solve the issue. 

Its all moving mechanical parts - they need to be looked after and on a regular basis.

If you have worked on brakes before then its a simple process to strip down / clean / re-grease and put back together again - should be a regular inspection and grease at the minimum of once a year. Especially the slide pins which are prone to seizing.

Sounds like its either your caliper pistons sticking or pins sticking - you may be lucky at this stage and be able to quite easily clean them up but if you leave them longer you may find they seize up - its a good idea to get to know how to re-grease the pins as they will need to be done at some point during ownership (per year) All 4 corners will need to be done and the job, if taking your time, should take no more than an hour MAX to do.

• Like 2

My guess is you have air in the brake fluid or even low fluid. If your pads are fine and the brake fluid is fine then it's almost certainly a seized caliper and probably the rears.

As I mentioned I had the same problem and my pads/rotors had plenty of life in them.

Not sure what my problem was but after the service with the requested caliper clean and grease, the brakes have been superb.