Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lower wheel arch rust found

opsw

Found a little rust spot in the lower wheel arch area of the rear before the wheel, as shown in the attached photo.

image_zpsngaj6pvo.jpeg

I would like to investigate it further by removing the plastic bit at the bottom of the wheel well connecting to the sill. However, I have no clue on how the remove/reinstall  this plastic stuff after reading the service manual. Is there anyone know if the bolt shown in the photo is just to screw on and off? Or it has a nut behind? If there are nuts behind, is it easy to reinstall it?

Thanks in advance.

You'll find it's a big self tapping screw, no nut behind it, you should be able to pull the arch liner away and wedge it out the way without having to remove it.. make sure you clean and treat behind the arch as the rust will have spread to both sides...

If that side has gone like that, chances are the other side won't be far behind so take it off and have a look....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haylands said:

You'll find it's a big self tapping screw, no nut behind it, you should be able to pull the arch liner away and wedge it out the way without having to remove it.. make sure you clean and treat behind the arch as the rust will have spread to both sides...

If that side has gone like that, chances are the other side won't be far behind so take it off and have a look....

Thanks for the reply. I am so happy to hear that it is just a screw only. However, regarding to the arch liner, is there any fixing point I should pay attention to?

Here is another photo taken from inside of the wheel arch.

image_zpste3qlrgt.jpeg

The rust seems to be more serious  from the inside. But most worrying me is the rust like colour on the arch liner. If it is a large area of rust. I am afraid that I have to pay a visit to the body shop instead of DIY fixing :(

You will most likely find that there is going to be rust behind the sills, very common problem that needs welding. I have that problem at the moment but no funds to sort it just yet. Yours isn't as bad as what mine looks like though, 

There will always be more behind the arch, that's where all that lovely salty water sits..

Just give the rear a good clean, remove all loose rust and scale and treat with something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-RC800-RUST-CONVERTER-1-Litre-RUST-PROOFING-PREVENTION-/172458724299?hash=item2827574bcb:g:QHYAAOSwB09YFdOq

Then, when you have repaired the painted part you can see, treat the arear behind with something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-4941-UNDERBODY-CHASSIS-RUST-PROOFING-BLACK-WAX-500ml-Aerosol-DIN-CAR-/182425230655?hash=item2a79641d3f:g:vB8AAOSwn7JYFFPA

I find the Dinitrol range to be superb, much better than Waxoyl, which has, IMHO, stayed the same for years and not moved with the times......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally spared some time for the inspection by removing the liner. Fortunately, it appears that the rust is just from the quarter panel rather than from the sill (yet). Here is the picture with the liner removed.

image_zpslsdxdw4a.jpeg

I have inspected the under side of the vehicle too. No rust there yet too. But unfortunately, rust is found on the other side of the vehicle (the rail like structure under the body). But I think it would be OK to let it rust for a few more years.

Anyway, I am relieved that it is just a small spot on the quarter panel so far and it is DIY repairable for novice DIYer.