Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Lexus IS220D owner seeks advice

Regin

Hi,

Im a Dane living in Germany, and about ½ a year ago, I bought a Lexus IS220D. The car was used, had about 96.000 km behind it, and is from 2010. The car is very good, and Im a happy owner. I bought the car with 1 year of extended warranty.

BUT: I noticed something that I need to understand. When I accelerate, fx. when I want to overtake another car on the highway, I experience something, I can best describe as small "slips" or "holes" in the acceleration. It is like for ½ a second the engine is not getting enough gas. It happens several times, but only when I am accelerating by pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor. I experience this typically between 2-3000 rpm and I experience it no matter if Im driving in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5ft or 6th gear. If I accelerate normally, without pressing the gas pedal to the floor, I do not experience these slips. With a normal steady acceleration everything is just fine.

The engine otherwise runs very normal, but I expect something must be wrong. A Toyota mechanic in Denmark just made a small rutine and oil check of the car, and he said it was running perfectly.

Before I go to a authorized Lexus mechanic here in Germany, I hope I can hear from someone in here, who might have an idea what is causing this problem.I still have ½ year of warranty for the car, and I need to figure out before this warranty runs out, what this problem is, so I can get it fixed. 

Hope someone can help. Any ideas what is causing these "slips"?

Thanks,

Regin

Sounds like turbo lag to me and the is220d has plenty of it.

Other than that it could be your egr valve. It's an easy job to take it out. 10 minutes. Give it a good scrub and soak with carb cleaner.

You might be surprised with the results.

• Like 1

Welcome Dane :smile:

I can't say for sure, but I had what can be called a 'hole' in acceleration for a while at lower rpm.  In my case, it seems like it might be the DPF since I have forced regenerated it and the lag seems to have gone away for now.

If your mechanic has the TechStream software, he should be able to see what percentage the DPF is currently running at.

Hi Regin and welcome to the Lexus club

If you are at all handy with simple tools then you can clean the EGR yourself. At least then you know that is not clogged at all. Here is a good Youtube video to guide you.