Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can a second-hand key remote/immobiliser be programmed to another vehicle?

I have a 52/2003 IS200 Sport with 2 lost black/master keys and all I have left is the grey/valet key.

I see that there are used keys available for my model car but can anyone give me some guidance about what I need to look for when buying one? Do I need to match up a key model number or something?

Once I have the key, can you give me a ball park figure how much it should cost to have it coded to my vehicle?

Thanks

like I said you can have another key cut using the key code in your service history book or on the other hand find a good locksmith who specializes in car key 🔑 programming and he should be able to help.I wouldn't bother buying a used key except of course you want to use the transponder and have it reprogrammed to your car

4 hours ago, scudney said:

like I said you can have another key cut using the key code in your service history book or on the other hand find a good locksmith who specializes in car key 🔑 programming and he should be able to help.I wouldn't bother buying a used key except of course you want to use the transponder and have it reprogrammed to your car

Thank you for your reply but there is no key code in my service history book.

The guy at the garage I use for MOT and servicing told me that I need a credit card type thing that will have codes for the ECU and the stereo, etc.

I spoke to a Lexus dealership and they told me that they're not aware of a code for accessing the ECU, that I can buy a new key from them which will start the car and then take it to an auto locksmith to get the remote lock/unlock programmed.

I am sorry if I am asking the same question again but I am getting conflicting information from different sources.

Thanks

to start with have a look at your service history book on one of the very front pages it should have your registration,colour code,locking wheel nut code and key code.You don't need a credit card type thing and the radio has no code anyway

Yes, on the inside cover I have model name, reg no, VIN, Stock number (a 6 digit number), the colour code (Granite Sky), trim code (Exmoor) and the delivery date (16-1-03).

Engine No is blank and there is no mention of the locking wheel nut code or the key code.

If its like the ls400 i had i bought a 2nd key with transponder. I then bought a new blank that comes with the plastic part where the transponder fits. Get the blank cut to copy the key that works. Then put the old transponder into the new key. Then reprogram the new key with the old transponder in . There was lots of info online to tell how to do it for the 400

Thanks for the reply.

When you say you bought a 2nd key with transponder, you mean you just picked up a key (for another vehicle) from eBay?

Did you need a black/master key to program it? I only have the grey/valet key.

you are meant to use the master key then insert the key/fob(transponder) that needs to be programmed,however I suppose there's no harm in trying with the valet key instead.

• 4 weeks later...