Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Obertelli

I've just bought a DAB module salvaged from a scrapped 2012 CT200H and want to install it into my 2011 SE-L Premier. 

Does anyone here have any tips regarding where exactly the unit should be located and how to access the rear of the Mark Levinson unit? I posted a similar question in the audio section a few days ago but had no joy so am repeating it here. As it seems that most (all?) were fitted by Lexus as POE (Point/Port Of Entry) or by local dealers in what I've been told was typically around a 40 minute job it can't be too difficult. I'm imagining access is via one of the footwells and that the unit might sit somewhere behind the glovebox. Ideally with an existing redundant cable and plug from the existing stereo.

Also I understand that the original fitment used a windscreen mounted DAB aerial; all the other similar aerials I can buy state that they are unsuitable for use with heated screens and my car has the hot screen option installed (doesn't appear to work though although the dashboard button illuminates), so has anyone here used a third party screen mount aerial successfully? If not I'll buy the official (and ugly) Lexus screen-mount aerial.

If this all proves to be far more difficult/totally impractical then the module was so cheap that I've lost very little and would likely be able to resell it, possibly even at a profit.

Failing all that, does anyone have any parts diagrams showing the DAB installation?

Thanks.

Interesting I've the same model. From a dealer it's £495. You're lucky to get this unit. I was told by the dealer it is fitted behind the stereo in the centre console. I too have the heated front screen but it is not the element type you know. It just directs all hot air to the screen with air con on. It's perfectly safe to fit a DAB aerial to the screen. I'm not sure on the removal of the stereo I'm afraid.

c66f0da9942c53fe4c6b5bb23d575e10.jpg

Looking at it I'd say the facia flips off probably leaving mounting screws underneath. It's something I've considered doing but refuse to pay the dealer price.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tayaste said:

What DAB module have you bought?  Is it the No1 amplifier assembly? If so, it's fitted under the roof lining.

Thanks, I got this one. I think that's different to the unit you're referring to. But if it does go under the roof lining and the wiring is already present that would be great as that's fairly easy to access.

20 hours ago, stormchaser said:

Interesting I've the same model. From a dealer it's £495. You're lucky to get this unit. I was told by the dealer it is fitted behind the stereo in the centre console. I too have the heated front screen but it is not the element type you know. It just directs all hot air to the screen with air con on. It's perfectly safe to fit a DAB aerial to the screen. I'm not sure on the removal of the stereo I'm afraid.

c66f0da9942c53fe4c6b5bb23d575e10.jpg

Looking at it I'd say the facia flips off probably leaving mounting screws underneath. It's something I've considered doing but refuse to pay the dealer price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, exactly the same as mine. Thanks especially for explaining how the hot screen works; that accounts for why it did sod all to the frosty screen from a cold start first time I tried it. The button seems to be a bit of a fudge considering it doesn't really do anything I can't already do using the normal heater controls, but at least it is a one-touch item rather than altering the fan, heat setting and diverter flaps separately.

Fortunately I bagged my DAB module for £30 after additional discounts with free postage. I'm not normally a gambler but as the only other one currently on eBay is £150 (or offer) I thought it was a gamble worth taking. Although the more expensive one also comes with the salvaged glass-mount antenna, but I doubt the stick-on element will be much good after being peeled off although some designs are reusable if they just rely on non-adhesive cling qualities like the old UK tax disc holders often had. But even after I buy a good new antenna I'll still be quids in; I may opt for one which cuts into the existing FM antenna as internal screen mounts don't get the best DAB reception. I can only assume that Lexus didn't do that themselves as it's more complex and time consuming than sticking a bit of tape on the screen during a  quick and cheap POE fitment. I'm minded for now though to try an internal screen mount from DAB on Wheels as they give a handy rating of how effective each one is and if it's not good enough to maybe upgrade at a later date.

20 hours ago, stormchaser said:

Just found this from the CT US Forum. Hope this helps but obviously didn't help that guy but gives its location.

510f18fc57f6f4ba88a6698165838c1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I saw that myself a few days ago, but can't see where the location of the module is revealed. All it mentions is that the connection cable goes to the back of the radio but that's not surprising and that article makes clear the DAB module is not an OEM unit. As there are three different connectors commonly used for DAB (ISO, DIN and Fakra) it may explain why the Lexus dealer had so much trouble. From what I've seen so far the OEM appears to use Fakra but I'll know for certain fairly soon.

Cheers!

Rob

• Like 1

You're welcome Rob as I'm trying to investigate this too for myself and information is very scarce. I've looked up on the parts catalogue for the CT but can't find any module relating to DAB on there either. If you have luck please let us know the outcome. Hope it all works for you.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links