Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS300h rear wheel losing grip

On 1/30/2017 at 5:26 PM, DanD said:

Actually this is a very good point: could you maybe have switched the traction control off by mistake?

I think the traction control cannot be completely switched off, I can push that button and the LCD shows it off, but then a little while latter it come back on again.

Kwik-Fit has been bought by Itochu a Japanese firm and since they bought kwikfit

money has been invested hence the decent geometry systems and the updated

centres their geometry systems I was told cost £80000 I don't know how true this is

but anything car related that's of a good quality will normally be expensive.

when on ice or snow the traction control cuts in and cuts power so you can end up becomming stuck

this is why there is a snow button to help you get out of trouble,it cuts in quickly to protect the motors

on the early CT's there isn't a snow button and you can become stranded.

So the snow button is not really for icy days, it is only for getting out from the ice?

No this function change your ghear setup and traction control is more permissive you will have a bit of wheels spinning before it cuts the power

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G900F folosind Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, dargoion said:

So the snow button is not really for icy days, it is only for getting out from the ice?

No this function change your ghear setup and traction control is more permissive you will have a bit of wheels spinning before it cuts the power

Thats not true.

You can use SNOW mode in all slippery conditions including icy roads. All it does is change the throttle mapping and I believe the car starts off in simulated gear 2 to prevent slipping, hence why the car feels quite heavy and planted in SNOW mode. It won't cause any long term damage if you're using it in the winter.

this function change your ghear setup and traction control is more permissive you will have a bit of wheels spinning before it cuts the power

Thats not true.

You can use SNOW mode in all slippery conditions including icy roads. All it does is change the throttle mapping and I believe the car starts off in simulated gear 2 to prevent slipping, hence why the car feels quite heavy and planted in SNOW mode. It won't cause any long term damage if you're using it in the winter.

That's what i wanted to say too but with different words :))

On 2 February 2017 at 1:20 PM, 200h said:

Kwik-Fit has been bought by Itochu a Japanese firm and since they bought kwikfit

money has been invested hence the decent geometry systems and the updated

centres their geometry systems I was told cost £80000 I don't know how true this is

but anything car related that's of a good quality will normally be expensive.

Maybe so, but that type of equipment is only as good as the person operating it, and they still seem to employ a load of kids. 

• Like 1

it is pretty much fool proof

enter the cars details

clip on sensors and connect sensors to system

adjust each wheel until system shows its in the green

jobs done.

10 hours ago, 200h said:

enter the cars details

clip on sensors and connect sensors to system

adjust each wheel until system shows its in the green

jobs done.

LOL, and there is my point proven  :)

Look at how wide the tolerance is on those green bands and also how many of them look up the correct torque settings for the adjuster bolts (which can be very high on some cars). 

11 hours ago, 200h said:

Not kwik fit fiter proof though:w00t: trust those goons to your Lexus at your peril imho. On my previous car they stuffed up the tracking to the point it scrubbed one of the tyres bald. They did admit it and replaced the tyre for free.  Maybe they are better now but there are better independents.

If buying new tyres look at the wear on the old set & if evenly worn across the tread then the tracking doesn't require adjusting or need a "free check" by a youth.

the width of the green band isn't an issue the wider the green band the easier it is to achieve the correct

adjustment if your tracking should be  + / - 1 degree then the green section will be equal to 2 degree's

so when your in the middle its spot on ,your tracking can be adjusted by 1/10th of a degree

so the accuracy is second to none,i can only talk about the centres i have been to and find them ok

if i wasn't happy i would go to another outlet.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:44 PM, Martin F said:

Maybe so, but that type of equipment is only as good as the person operating it, and they still seem to employ a load of kids. 

I actually only need the reading such as camber degree or so.. Since I don't have that kind of good measurement.

not sure about the UK but over here Kwikfit does not employ car mechanics but people that were taught 1 trick, like change tyres or replace a Battery

I only go there to replace summer to winter tyres and even then you have to keep your eyes glued to your car. last time one of the staff walked to my car that was already up on the bridge and tried to unscrew the oilscrew bottom of the engine i quickly ran to him asking what he was doing reply was change oil sir.. Only wanted tyre replacement....

i would not trust them for anything else then tyres alone.

• Like 1

I think you are probably not even skidding enough for traction control to kick in. Have you noticed the light come on or experienced loss of power?

Probably not!

If it's really bothering you, put some weight in the boot and it will stop.

On 30/01/2017 at 8:32 PM, dargoion said:

Even if you switch it off it will come on again when you start the engine for what i know you can't switch it off permanently

When you are stopped, press and hold the button for about 10 seconds. It will stay off. Although, annoyingly, the display permanently tells you it is off. 

• Like 1

I have to say am not sure why the OP is finding traction issues? 

Last winter when we had some snow I took our IS300H to try catch some donuts (why else would you buy a RWD car:)). But sadly the IS was setup so well and the TC system such a nanny I never once came close to lossing control of the car. I tried the hold TC button for 10 seconds, brake boosting, even thought about slamming on the foot brake (didn't). 

My conclusion, our IS300H is beautifully setup, Lexus did a fine job making sure the driver could stay in control of the car in all but the worst road conditions. Its the most stable RWD car I've driven, I should add the car was on summer tyres. 

23807323423_ce2042829c_z_d.jpg 

• Like 1

On Thu Feb 02 2017 at 1:05 PM, Sazabi2001 said:

I used to drive a diesel Passat, same driving style, and the traction control didn't come in as often as the IS.

Also, sometime you can feel a little bit wheel spinning before the power reduced.

But sure, I'll have my IS suspension check in next service.

Thanks.

A FWD car will spin its wheels just as much as a RWD car, you probably didn't feel/hear it over the rattle of the diesel lump:). 

But in all seriousness don't worry about a little wheelspin in current conditions, the IS300H is like a huggable sloth. Your have to be driving like an absolute tool to loss control on public roads. Just trust the TC system to do its job.... If you want to feel what a unstable RWD car is, try an early S2000 as it transitions into the VTEC zone. I've only driven one once, and that was enough for me, the thing nearly spat me off road whilst travelling in a straight line and all because the road had a tiny bit of dampness and VTEC went yo! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2017 at 6:19 AM, ganzoom said:

A FWD car will spin its wheels just as much as a RWD car, you probably didn't feel/hear it over the rattle of the diesel lump:). 

But in all seriousness don't worry about a little wheelspin in current conditions, the IS300H is like a huggable sloth. Your have to be driving like an absolute tool to loss control on public roads. Just trust the TC system to do its job.... If you want to feel what a unstable RWD car is, try an early S2000 as it transitions into the VTEC zone. I've only driven one once, and that was enough for me, the thing nearly spat me off road whilst travelling in a straight line and all because the road had a tiny bit of dampness and VTEC went yo! 

VTEC was created by the Devil. Back in the day I had a 1990 Honda Civic which was one of 400 homologation specials imported for a racing series. That was an absolute beast as it almost took off when the VTEC cut in. Trouble was they had removed the power steering and within a short time I began to get shoulder ache from parking. Great Q car though. 

On 2/23/2017 at 8:32 AM, olliesgrandad said:

VTEC was created by the Devil. Back in the day I had a 1990 Honda Civic which was one of 400 homologation specials imported for a racing series. That was an absolute beast as it almost took off when the VTEC cut in. Trouble was they had removed the power steering and within a short time I began to get shoulder ache from parking. Great Q car though. 

I always want to try a VTEC, and, DC2 if possible. But I have no budget to do this at the moment, hopefully 2-3 years latter.