Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Protecting calipers from corrosion

gaborpinter

Dear fellow owners,

I am just replacing all the four calipers on my IS250 (the new ones are still in the box), and I was wondering on getting them laquered to protect those from rust.

Ideally I would't paint them so I am planning to use a clear coat only.

I found these products on amazon, would you think those would work on their own, without a coloured primer?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000CPJLV2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27CYQD3147JTP&coliid=I71J38RWEE7PT&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZXZP480/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27CYQD3147JTP&coliid=I2X2CJ2M6OXQP7

Thanks for your time.

There are high heat clear coats specifically for calipers. Some require primer, some can go on bare metal (as the one in the link you provided E-Tech XHT). As your calipers are new I believe thoughtfully decreasing them should be sufficient for clear coat to stick and no primer is needed.

17 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

There are high heat clear coats specifically for calipers. Some require primer, some can go on bare metal (as the one in the link you provided E-Tech XHT). As your calipers are new I believe thoughtfully decreasing them should be sufficient for clear coat to stick and no primer is needed.

Thanks, I'll try that one with proper surface preparation of course.

just be careful and cover the rubber seals, both during decreasing and painting... well I guess that is obvious :) Actually funny that Lexus/Advics doesn't paint or otherwise seal calipers to protect them from rusting. In other hand maybe it is fairly recent trend in auto industry to do so and was not yet popular back in the days of mk2.

• 2 weeks later...