Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 400h Steering Wander

I know I've visited this forum with this topic in the past but just wondered if there"s any fresh info about  .

OK,  here we go,  2009 RX 400h 120,000 miles owned for about three years.  I love this car it tows my caravan superbly and gives me circa 30 MPG ( without caravan ) and virtually does what it says on the tin apart from --- the steering wanders a lot, follows white lines and is very sensitive at lower speeds in respect of road feedback from grids, bumps or even road undulation as well as turning to follow road camber. however braking soft or hard on a flat surface is dead straight with no "pulling" either way.  So far this is what i"ve had done to try and cure the problem.

Following an MOT ( which suggested no worn linkage problems ) four new tyres fitted, balanced and  pressurised, four wheel electronic tracking completed at a recommended garage by someone on this forum ( Drury Lane Garage, Manchester area )  who also checked the steering geometry,  all done within the same week.

Result:  no change at all, everything still the same ! The garage said it was probably one of those models that has " sensitive steering"   Now I"m not having this because if this was the case then surely this topic would have been discussed no end on these forums.  So, may I ask any other owners of this Lexus model whether you"ve had similar problems to this and if so did you manage to cure it ? Or do you own the same models without steering problems which would suggest that this is only particular to my car.

Also I would be grateful for any suggestions or ideas from other members of the forum,

Thanks and here"s  hoping. Phil M.

When I first bought mine 6 years ago it was very similar, I fitted four new tyres and had the tracking lasered and set up been superb since with even tyre wear as that was a problem before also.  Have you got half decent make of tyres on ? Hankooks all round on mine really good.

Could you try driving another 400h to compare or get someone who owns one to drive yours and see what they think - provided insurance allows.

I test drove a car once that pulled to the left. Test drove another one - no issues so I did not buy that one. Years ago, many, my Ford Cortina seemed to pull to one side. Tracking / balancing helped at first but it came back - drove me round the bend, so I have some sympathy with your problem.

If my information is correct the later RX400 uses an electrically powered steering system as opposed to the conventional hydraulic system, being electric this no doubt is controlled by an ECU, various sensors and will be speed sensitive.

A fault within the system should throw up the warning light but it may be worth enquiring with Lexus if there have been any software updates regarding the issue you are having as you seem to have covered all the possible mechanic causes.

My brother was recently looking at  Fiat Uno and we noticed it pulled to the left, a bit of googling revealed that as the car is normally built as a left hand drive the steering geometry is set for that which would be fine for a car driven on the right of the road but not on the left side as in the UK.

I think this is model-specific thing - the steering wander - I feel it on the highways, but it is barely noticeable.

Also, mine's pulling to the left a bit, but I always attribute it to the camber of a road - it seems the electronic steering is not trying to compensate for that and hence the pull. Even after replacing all 4 tyres with brand new ones and doing the wheel calibration etc. as part of a major service in a Lexus dealership it is still there on certain types of the roads, especially if I am driving on the left-most lane which most of the time has more camber towards sidewalk.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links