Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CROSS CLIMATE 235/55/R19 101V

Glover

Just ordered four Cross Climate 235/55/R19 101V tyres for my RX450h.  £183 per tyre fitted (£732 for all four) from ExtraGrip, Nottingham.  Went in because I couldn't get one of the chrome dust caps off the valve.  This apparently is not uncommon, the chrome plated cap 'welds' itself to the brass valve stem (used to be brass but apparently it's now an alloy hence the problem). 

To cut a long story short when the tyre (standard fit Dunlop)  was off it looked a bit close to the end of its life and it was (only had 2mm).  I'm a bit of a tyre safety nerd, I don't usually like to go below 3mm so two new tyres please. 

I asked if they should go on the front or back but was advised that it's not recommended to mix different climate tyres e.g. summer and winter, all seasons and summer etc. as it can affect handling etc..  So option was stick with Dunlops, go to another brand of summer tyre e.g. Michelin Latitude or have all Cross Climate. Asked them to look at the front ones and they had 4mm in the centre feathering to 3mm at the outer edge.  So as its only a little patch of rubber between the car and total disaster I ordered four new Cross Climates based on the very good reviews on this forum and elsewhere.  I'll let you know how I get on with them (they ordered them today and could have fitted them on Monday but I choose to have them fitted on Tuesday).

In the meantime if you're close to Nottingham and need any brand of new tyres I can thoroughly recommend Extra Grip.  I've used them since the early 80s and although I check around on prices I've yet to find anyone beat them and on top of that and to me even more important they provide a brilliant service (e.g. you don't pay for tyres they order until they're fitted) and great advice.

Hope I haven't broken any forum rules by recommending a company.

Are you sure they aren't 235/55 R19 105W?

I've found the Cross Climates to be an excellent tyre on my CT and I'd think they will perform well on the RX. While technically a summer tyre, like your fitter, I'd not recommend mixing them with something else as the different levels of grip would be significant, particularly in wet/snow. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with them.

Might be; I'll have a look when/if it stops raining!

Hope my experience with them is as good as yours; I'm hoping that once they're run in I'll get a chance at the weekend to try them on some dual carriageway and some nice twisty country lanes on the Leics / Notts border.  Might even get a muddy stretch thrown in if the tractors have been out, which should test their grip!

• 3 weeks later...

I've covered about 1500 miles now on my cross climates, they are really superb, very quiet, good grip and comfortable ride, probably the best tyre I've had on any car for a long time.My tyres are the same size as yours btw.

• Like 1