Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

new g spider wheels fitted

i was looking for a set of baransu wheels. i did post on the wanted section. a lad from the forum got in touch saying he had a set of g spiders  for sale  with 4 good tyres.. as he was only an hours drive away i went to view them yesterday and could not resist. i am very pleased with them. look much better than the original wheels.

10 hours ago, peachy said:

i was looking for a set of baransu wheels. i did post on the wanted section. a lad from the forum got in touch saying he had a set of g spiders  for sale  with 4 good tyres.. as he was only an hours drive away i went to view them yesterday and could not resist. i am very pleased with them. look much better than the original wheels.

Yes they really suit the car, first car i looked at had same wheels but was a deep blue colour. Had dark blue and black cars, a right pain to keep clean.

Are you keeping the same colour or painting them.

3 hours ago, madasahatter said:

Yes they really suit the car, first car i looked at had same wheels but was a deep blue colour. Had dark blue and black cars, a right pain to keep clean.

Are you keeping the same colour or painting them.

Deepblue ( not sure if that is correct colour name) is the rarest and probably the best on Lexis IS mk2.... Indeed dark colours are hard to keep clean, but grey ones never look as good in the first place. 

Madasahatter I won't be painting the wheels. I really like the colour. Very pleased with them and in tip top condition too and came with 2 dunlop sport max on the rear and 2 michelin cross climate on the front. I paid £1000.

On 1/29/2017 at 6:11 PM, peachy said:

Madasahatter I won't be painting the wheels. I really like the colour. Very pleased with them and in tip top condition too and came with 2 dunlop sport max on the rear and 2 michelin cross climate on the front. I paid £1000.

Ah shoot, it was all going so well!

You didn't mount them like that did you? Cross Climates are all seasons, Sport Max are summer tyres - don't want any insurance problems now do we?

13 hours ago, rayaans said:

Ah shoot, it was all going so well!

You didn't mount them like that did you? Cross Climates are all seasons, Sport Max are summer tyres - don't want any insurance problems now do we?

what is the problem with insurance here? It is obvious, that all seasons and summer tires should not mix, but my question is what is the "legal" issue here. I have not found any clause or rule which would say that you should use same tires even on same axle (common sense) or on different axles.

13 hours ago, peachy said:

Yes rayaans I have the dunlops on the rear as they have more tread and the michelins on the front. I assumed this would be fine. What's the best set up?

I guess to have same Dunlops on the front as well - 225/40R18 Y 88 to be precise. Just assuming you know that tires (an the rims) should be staggered on IS250 and your Dunlops on the rear should be 255/40R18 Y 95? - that is because you comment "I have the dunlops on the rear as they have more tread" doesn't sounds reassuring.

38 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

what is the problem with insurance here? It is obvious, that all seasons and summer tires should not mix, but my question is what is the "legal" issue here. I have not found any clause or rule which would say that you should use same tires even on same axle (common sense) or on different axles.

I guess to have same Dunlops on the front as well - 225/40R18 Y 88 to be precise. Just assuming you know that tires (an the rims) should be staggered on IS250 and your Dunlops on the rear should be 255/40R18 Y 95? - that is because you comment "I have the dunlops on the rear as they have more tread" doesn't sounds reassuring.

I doubt any police will notice but the insurance company will certainly pick up on all season tyres on the front and summer tyres on the rear if something were to happen. The car has to be road legal and different rated tyres on the same axle would result in failure and I would presume different types i.e. all seasons up front and summers on back would invalidate an MOT.

Yes the dunlops are 255 and the michelins are 225. Never gave the insurance a second thought to be honest but I'll probably change the fronts this weekend to either goodyear eagles or dunlop sport max to be on the safe side.

5 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I doubt any police will notice but the insurance company will certainly pick up on all season tyres on the front and summer tyres on the rear if something were to happen. The car has to be road legal and different rated tyres on the same axle would result in failure and I would presume different types i.e. all seasons up front and summers on back would invalidate an MOT.

MoT only requires tyres of the same construction on the same axle. By construction it means radial or crossply. Even radials of steel and nylon are considered the same

Those alloys look absolutely brilliant suits car not sure about tyres but if u upgrade from 17" to 18" alloys you got to tell your insurance company unless 18" were fitted as standard.always like white lexus but missis didn't want it as would stand out as in my area no is250 in white. 

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

That is not true. Actually, MOT only requires tires of 1.6mm+ full stop. Using same tires on the same axle is just common sense, but not a legal requirement so having universal or even winter tires on different axles or even on the same axle (madness) would not invalidate anything. 

Obviously, there is point mentioned by @NemesisUK about crosply tires, but it no longer makes much sense as all modern tires are radial.

Overall, I agree with you, but the reason to change tires in @peachy case is not insurance, but rather common sense.

16 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

Those alloys look absolutely brilliant suits car not sure about tyres but if u upgrade from 17" to 18" alloys you got to tell your insurance company unless 18" were fitted as standard.

That is not true either..  as these are genuine rim for this particular model, but even aftermarket rims in the same size as original should not count as modification, you only need to tell if you fitting something non-standard, which would alter cars performance or safety.

Well I'm booked in for Saturday morning to have 2 new dunlop sport max fitted to the front. To be honest though I really thought the michelins would have been fine as they are not winter tyres but all season.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

That is not true either..  as these are genuine rim for this particular model, but even aftermarket rims in the same size as original should not count as modification, you only need to tell if you fitting something non-standard, which would alter cars performance or safety.

That was just a thought as when you take out insurance they ask you any mods, ur right in that you only tell them them if it's not standard but are peachy alloys standard 18" and if they then it's ok otherwise it's worth telling them because insurance company look any excuse not pay out if involved in accident. 

That is true... I guess there are no right or wrong, but mixture of common sense and what you can get away with. If something was factory option - then it should be ok, if something is equivalent to factory option- then you can get away with that... but if something is clearly out of shape e.g. 22 inch spinning alloys, which only fits after raising car and rolling arcs, then you better of telling it.

39 minutes ago, peachy said:

Well I'm booked in for Saturday morning to have 2 new dunlop sport max fitted to the front. To be honest though I really thought the michelins would have been fine as they are not winter tyres but all season.

As said above, as far as insurance or MOT goes - I see no problem.

Overall, you better of not mixing all seasons, winter and summer tires. I guess the biggest reason for that is that you can get unpredictable handling. By unpredictable I mean - it is not more likely to slip, but when it does it will be harder to predict how to correct it. 

The car came with 18 inch tsuki wheels when I purchased the car. The lady who bought the car from new had them fitted as an optional extra. As far as I'm aware the 2010 sei has 17 inch wheels fitted as standard. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links