Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2017 Driving Test Changes

rayaans

So how do we feel about this guys?

From what I can tell, the changes are:

• Removal of reversing around the corner and turning around the road (AKA 3 point turn)
  • Candidates now follow a sat nav route instead of the instructor giving instructions
  • Show me, tell me questions are asked whilst the candidate is driving
  • Independent driving time increased from 10 minutes to 20 minutes
  • Addition of reversing from a car parking space

Discuss! :whistling1:

46 minutes ago, rayaans said:
  • Removal of reversing around the corner and turning around the road (AKA 3 point turn)
  •  

Removes a test of the driver's ability to control the vehicle using forward and reverse gears, plus reversed coordination..

47 minutes ago, rayaans said:
  • Candidates now follow a sat nav route instead of the instructor giving instructions
  •  

'Tis the modern way... 

49 minutes ago, rayaans said:
  • Show me, tell me questions are asked whilst the candidate is driving
  •  

If this means the driver is to identify and describe hazards and other road user's intentions, then a good move. It's what advanced driver tuition requires

50 minutes ago, rayaans said:
  • Independent driving time increased from 10 minutes to 20 minutes
  •  

A good move, tests the driver's initiative and confidence

51 minutes ago, rayaans said:
  • Addition of reversing from a car parking space

Good, tests observation as well as vehicle control. Should also introduce parallel parking , if not already included.. 

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Removes a test of the driver's ability to control the vehicle using forward and reverse gears, plus reversed coordination..

'Tis the modern way... 

If this means the driver is to identify and describe hazards and other road user's intentions, then a good move. It's what advanced driver tuition requires

A good move, tests the driver's initiative and confidence

Good, tests observation as well as vehicle control. Should also introduce parallel parking , if not already included.. 

Parallel parking is already included as an examinable skill but many instructors don't assess it for lack of time on the current test. I suppose the prolongation of independent driving from 10 to 20 mins may include it as a compulsory measure as there should be plenty of time.

The show me,tell me questions are different. The instructors will basically say - "show me how to turn on the rear window demister" or "tell me what this button does".

Now I can't see why they've removed 3 point turn. I don't think ive ever reversed around the corner but surely multi-point turn in the road is a good skill to have. 

Reversing out of a parking space IMO is probably not needed. If you can parallel park or do a 3 point turn with ease, you can surely reverse out of a parking space!

What if your car doesn't have satnav? My son took his test two years ago in a classic mini. No satnav, abs, power steering, or traction control, and it has these strange handles on the doors that if you move them in a circular motion, the windows go up or down.

As long as the show me tell me questions are simple and will not distract the driver whilst they think about how to check the oil for example.

It's reversing into a parking space they should tech not how to reverse out. It's amazing how many people can't park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

What if your car doesn't have satnav? My son took his test two years ago in a classic mini. No satnav, abs, power steering, or traction control, and it has these strange handles on the doors that if you move them in a circular motion, the windows go up or down.

As long as the show me tell me questions are simple and will not distract the driver whilst they think about how to check the oil for example.

It's reversing into a parking space they should tech not how to reverse out. It's amazing how many people can't park.

The sat nav will be a plug in unit that the examiner just carries around and plugs into the 12V port. Im sure they'll also have it charged up before any potential tests.

Ive got to say, I never got taught about roundabouts, parallel parking or reversing into a car parking space and I can drive my big RX fairly comfortably. It just takes year of practice to master - and now, because everyone is trying to save some money and go on public transport, they don't get anywhere near as much as they should!

I think I did 150k in 2 years in my Ford Fiesta after I passed :D

Hmm when I passed my test (first time :laugh:) you had to do 2 of 3 manoeuvres. I got the two they are going to chop! I don't think the 3 point turn should be removed, it is a vital skill and can be tricky with a road camber and an audience of courier delivery drivers in white vans!

I'm not sure about reverse out a parking space really. I usually reverse in so as to avoid having to reverse out when visibility if reduced.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

A classic mini did not have wind down windows! It had two sliding windows. Non of this new fangled stuff although some did have heaters. A little black box in front of the gear lever with little flaps that you closed if you wanted to demist the windscreen, and a cord that you pulled to open the doors. A button on the floor to start the car, and certainly no power outlet or cigarette lighter. It did have the Battery in the boot, now where have I seen that on modern cars?

You will be telling me next your sons mini had syncromesh on all four gears.

John

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links