Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seat belt not locking with child seat

-Rich-

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the belt or us trying to fit it. We put the seat in, loop the belt around and plug it in. Then pull the belt right out and let it retract so it should lock.

If you pull the seat hard the belt locks but it doesn't stay locked. Pull it gently and the belt comes out as normal making the seat loose. It seems to be the same on both sides.

Anyone else had issues or is there a different way I should be fitting it?

17 hours ago, -Rich- said:

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the belt or us trying to fit it. We put the seat in, loop the belt around and plug it in. Then pull the belt right out and let it retract so it should lock.

If you pull the seat hard the belt locks but it doesn't stay locked. Pull it gently and the belt comes out as normal making the seat loose. It seems to be the same on both sides.

Anyone else had issues or is there a different way I should be fitting it?

Sounds normal. 

Seatbelts are supposed to restrict sudden movement, for example, in collisions but are not designed to hold the passengers in place - Hence, you can move forwards and backwards in the seat without suffocating.

As above sounds like normal seat belt function.

With my granddaughter's Britax seat (not Isofix) I pull the seat belt really tight whilst pushing the seat firmly into the car seat. As I release the belt it does lock, presumably because the seat is exerting tension on the belt. 

On a side note, you can force it to lock. 

Do this by pulling the seatbelt all the way out after fastening the clip into the holder. Then slowly let it go and it'll reel back in locking itself.

No this isn't normal, it's like the ALR isn't activating - Automatic Locking Retractor.

The belt works as normal when someone is sitting in the seat, i.e. the ELR (Emergency Locking Retractor) is working, so if you brake hard it locks and then it'll pull out again if you release the tension.

With the child seat if you pull the belt all the way out and then let it retract it's supposed to lock so it can't be pulled out again unless fully retracted first. After pulling the belt all the way out, I can retract it partially but then pull it out again so the child seat is wobbly cos it's not locked in. See handbook details below.

We only have to use it once a week so I'm not buying a new seat and we only need it until September but I'm just wondering if something is stopping them from locking?

If they are actually faulty then I have Lexus warranty until September so I'll contact the dealer.

CT200 belt.jpg

14 hours ago, -Rich- said:

No this isn't normal, it's like the ALR isn't activating - Automatic Locking Retractor.

The belt works as normal when someone is sitting in the seat, i.e. the ELR (Emergency Locking Retractor) is working, so if you brake hard it locks and then it'll pull out again if you release the tension.

With the child seat if you pull the belt all the way out and then let it retract it's supposed to lock so it can't be pulled out again unless fully retracted first. After pulling the belt all the way out, I can retract it partially but then pull it out again so the child seat is wobbly cos it's not locked in. See handbook details below.

We only have to use it once a week so I'm not buying a new seat and we only need it until September but I'm just wondering if something is stopping them from locking?

If they are actually faulty then I have Lexus warranty until September so I'll contact the dealer.

CT200 belt.jpg

So you've put the belt into the seat and then put the buckle into the clasp?

THEN have you pulled it all the way out and let it retract until the seat is locked into place?

It shouldn't be moving after that. 

17 hours ago, rayaans said:

So you've put the belt into the seat and then put the buckle into the clasp?

THEN have you pulled it all the way out and let it retract until the seat is locked into place?

It shouldn't be moving after that. 

Yep that's what I have done and once the belt has retracted as much as it can, I can then pull it straight back out again, it doesn't lock!

On 2/1/2017 at 4:51 PM, -Rich- said:

Yep that's what I have done and once the belt has retracted as much as it can, I can then pull it straight back out again, it doesn't lock!

I can only suggest trying it when the car is on then. If it doesnt work try taking it back to the dealer and see what they say

• 3 weeks later...

With a lot of force I managed to get the belt to retract to the point that you couldn't slacken it to release the ELR so the seat is now secure. However, I still don't think this is right and once the belt is pulled all the way out it should only retract. The dealer I bought it from is miles a way but I could go to a local one I guess or I might just try and look at another CT first and see if that does it. It shouldn't matter if there is a seat in place or not, as long as the belt has been pulled all the way out it should activate the ALR. Can anyone here try theirs?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links