Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Few more Q's after month of ownership

Still enjoying the relaxing drive of the car, but there remain a few things annoying me slightly, wonder if anyone has any solutions for the following?

1. The auto lights come on far too quickly when going under short bridges and tunnels, I take it the light sensitivity settings are for ambient light rather than the timing delay as changing this setting doesn't seem to make a difference? Thankfully they go off just as rapidly.

2. Is there only one figure for tyre pressures? On previous cars I've owned there is usually a lower "comfort" pressure setting but I take it these cars are all about efficiency. Finding the suspension surprisingly firm for a car of this type on 17" wheels. Nowhere near as severe as my previous car on sports suspension thankfully.

3. Have managed to eliminate most rattles/creaks bar one very annoying and loud creak remaining which comes from the the rear boot area, probably passenger side. When going over a jolt in the road, there is a pronounced plastic/metallic single "crack" sound, so far I've suspected it could be coming from the following:

• Boot door
  • Cover for 12v Battery compartment
  • Fuel flap
  • Rear centre brake light or speakers in rear parcel shelf
  • Plastic cup holder assembly in rear centre armrest
  • Something in Hybrid Battery bay which wasn't secured after service

Really is a mystery but now that I hear it I can't ignore it any longer. Car is out of the 2 year period for rattles so not sure what to do next. Have removed the tyre puncture kit to eliminate that rattling about. Rattles are what LED me to get rid of my V40 and come to Lexus so hopefully this can be solved as I really like the car and the brand in general so far.

4. On a related note, does everyone else's boot door creak when closing it? I guess this is just the spring? Just wondered if this could be related to the noise above if unusual as that sound comes from the same side.

5. Does anyone know the capacity of the windscreen washer fluid reservoir?

1. You can adjust the light sensor sensitivity. Manual page 597 in the customisation options.

2. There are two ranges of tyre pressures. See the sticker on the drivers door pillar. If you don't intend to drive very fast, then there are lower settings.

3/4. No creaks here.

5.  Don't know.

4 hours ago, IS300Hdriver said:

Still enjoying the relaxing drive of the car, but there remain a few things annoying me slightly, wonder if anyone has any solutions for the following?

1. The auto lights come on far too quickly when going under short bridges and tunnels, I take it the light sensitivity settings are for ambient light rather than the timing delay as changing this setting doesn't seem to make a difference? Thankfully they go off just as rapidly.

2. Is there only one figure for tyre pressures? On previous cars I've owned there is usually a lower "comfort" pressure setting but I take it these cars are all about efficiency. Finding the suspension surprisingly firm for a car of this type on 17" wheels. Nowhere near as severe as my previous car on sports suspension thankfully.

3. Have managed to eliminate most rattles/creaks bar one very annoying and loud creak remaining which comes from the the rear boot area, probably passenger side. When going over a jolt in the road, there is a pronounced plastic/metallic single "crack" sound, so far I've suspected it could be coming from the following:

• Boot door
  • Cover for 12v battery compartment
  • Fuel flap
  • Rear centre brake light or speakers in rear parcel shelf
  • Plastic cup holder assembly in rear centre armrest
  • Something in Hybrid battery bay which wasn't secured after service

Really is a mystery but now that I hear it I can't ignore it any longer. Car is out of the 2 year period for rattles so not sure what to do next. Have removed the tyre puncture kit to eliminate that rattling about. Rattles are what led me to get rid of my V40 and come to Lexus so hopefully this can be solved as I really like the car and the brand in general so far.

4. On a related note, does everyone else's boot door creak when closing it? I guess this is just the spring? Just wondered if this could be related to the noise above if unusual as that sound comes from the same side.

5. Does anyone know the capacity of the windscreen washer fluid reservoir?

1) as above, the headlights can be adjusted. I keep mine on the lowest setting otherwise they come on too soon

2) You can play around with the PSI. I keep mine on 36-38psi

3) Some cars have rattles and some dont. Ive never been in a single car that doesn't have rattles bar the wife's IS300h so far (touch wood) but no idea on where it could be coming from. Get a passenger to sit in the back and point it out.

4) Makes a slight noise but not a creak as such.

Many thanks for the replies,

Have set the light sensor to the lowest setting but doesn't make any difference at all, perhaps this is a software issue with the latest update. As for the tyre pressures, here is the sticker (apologies, only seems to upload in landscape format despite original in portrait):

IStyrepressures.jpeg

250kPa throughout, unless carrying more weight in the back, a little odd to such uniformity on a tyre pressure sticker, but i'll go with it.

I've taken the tow ring and wheel nut wrench out of the plastic tray in the boot and put each one in a seperate seat pocket, will see if that eliminates the cracking noise. Also relubricated the rear door locks with PTFE spray.

9 hours ago, IS300Hdriver said:

Many thanks for the replies,

Have set the light sensor to the lowest setting but doesn't make any difference at all, perhaps this is a software issue with the latest update. As for the tyre pressures, here is the sticker (apologies, only seems to upload in landscape format despite original in portrait):

IStyrepressures.jpeg

250kPa throughout, unless carrying more weight in the back, a little odd to such uniformity on a tyre pressure sticker, but i'll go with it.

I've taken the tow ring and wheel nut wrench out of the plastic tray in the boot and put each one in a seperate seat pocket, will see if that eliminates the cracking noise. Also relubricated the rear door locks with PTFE spray.

Id say get the sensor checked out .

It shouldn't really be turning on before about 4.30pm on a clear day at this time of year.

Just want to clarify the issue is with it turning on immediately when entering tunnels or going under bridges rather than a time of day issue, my previous car (Volvo) would wait a bit before turning on the headlights to account for going through brief areas where the light may dim such as going under a bridge whereas with the IS, even on the lowest setting the lights come on straight away. Is this just normal for Lexus?

All the cars I have had with auto lights have come on straight away in tunnels and under bridges. The Volvo system seems better as I think it can lead to false headlight flashes if you go under a bridge and the lights come on then go off.

• Like 1

The Mercedes auto-lights were quite clever. It had two sensors and would detect the approaching tunnel but also the approaching light at the end of the tunnel. So, if the tunnel was very short, or a bridge, the lights wouldn't come on at all. Never got it wrong in the 12yrs of using the system.

The RC on the other hand is very quick to switch on the lights. Even on the least sensitive setting .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IS300Hdriver said:

Just want to clarify the issue is with it turning on immediately when entering tunnels or going under bridges rather than a time of day issue, my previous car (Volvo) would wait a bit before turning on the headlights to account for going through brief areas where the light may dim such as going under a bridge whereas with the IS, even on the lowest setting the lights come on straight away. Is this just normal for Lexus?

Ah, well in that case yes, its completely normal.

The sensors are very sensitive and quick so will behave like that. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links