• 1000's of Lexus For Sale
      1000's of Lexus For Sale
    • Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
      Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
    • Get Your Club Gear
      Get Your Club Gear
    • Join Gold & Save!
      Join Gold & Save!
    • Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
      Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Lexus Owners Club

What Tyre Brand Would You Choose?

What Tyre Brand Would You Choose?    205 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. If you were to choose a tyre brand, which would be your top tyre brand?

• Avon
    • Bridgestone
    • Continental
    • Dunlop
    • Falken
    • Goodyear
    • Hankook
    • Kumho
    • Michelin
    • Pirelli
    • Toyo
    • Vredestein
    • Yokohama

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

Michelin due to the Cross Climates. I would have voted  Goodyear or Contis otherwise.

I am just wondering if the huge lead (18 votes that is..) for Michelins is just because of Cross Climates, or there are other reasons (tires I mean). 

Somehow I consider Cross Climates wasteful when living in mild weathered UK.

So many factors to consider when buying a new tire. Never went for a brand.

Posted (edited)

On 2/15/2017 at 1:51 PM, Linas.P said:

I am just wondering if the huge lead (18 votes that is..) for Michelins is just because of Cross Climates, or there are other reasons (tires I mean). 

Somehow I consider Cross Climates wasteful when living in mild weathered UK.

I voted Michelin because they make what many consider to be the best performance tyre in the World - the Pilot Super Sport, and at the time this poll appeared, I was giving serious consideration to buying a set of them for 19" alloys I've recently acquired.

After weighing up the pros and cons though. I came to my senses and decided on Goodyear Asymmetric 3's instead and saved £200. 

EDIT: Ended up shelling out for the Michelins after all. :laugh:

Something I find really Interesting is that there's not a single vote registered for Pirelli so far. All those millions spent on being the F1 tyre supplier and a major sponsor doesn't appear to be working out too well. Or, perhaps the fact their F1 tyres fall apart within a handful of laps has had an adverse effect in terms of marketing and made people more wary of them...

Edited by J Henderson

I like Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres as they suit the GS very well. Very comfortable being fairly soft walled  but still rated XL and grip well dry or wet.

Next choice Goodyear Asymmetric 3.  Much depends on the type of car.

Ed:yes:

2 people like this

Generally I just compare the premium brands on ratings and choose the one with the best rating that's also relatively cheap.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:12 PM, rayaans said:

Generally I just compare the premium brands on ratings and choose the one with the best rating that's also relatively cheap.

Which in my case always comes up as Dunlop, not because I am some kind of fan, but because RT's and RT2's costs £30/tires cheaper then similar Michelins and claims to offer AA or AB rating for front and BB/BC for rear and 67/68dB noise (which is lowest in market). I do avoid XLs or any kind of additionally reinforced wall tires, because they tend to be harder.

One thing is that all those ratings are on paper and I am sure Pirelli, Michelin, Continental are equal on road, but the difference is that Dunlops are simply cheaper. I would as well consider like Avon, Toyo, Yokohama, Falken etc. if they would be substantially cheaper. But I am finding them maybe £3/tire cheaper whereas I consider Dunlops being more premium.

Pirelli's are actually lovely tires (as far as my little experience goes with P Zero), quiet and comfortable. Don't know if they actually lasts... but one way or another they seems to come always as the most expensive option, maybe that is just a case of R17 225/245 45 set-up, but again they do not offer anything substantially superior to other tires except of being significantly more expensive.

Equally, I would never fit budget tire or if none of manufacturers use the brand... That is not because manufacturers really care about the quality, but because they only fit the cheapest tires with which they can get away with.. So in this case either brand is not fit for purpose or it is simply not good value.

Finally, I do think that where comes all-season tires Michelin Cross climates are the best, but as mentioned previously I see no reason to have such tires in England or Wales .

As I have mentioned in some previous threads on tyres, I did development work for Michelin for what was then the suitability of there tyres for Police Pursuit type vehicles, all the way down to general purpose vehicles.

Vehicles used for high speed instructional work driver training etc.

They are a very good quality brand, who spend vast sums of money on R&D without going into boring detail I believe the best advice on tyres is buy the best you can possibly afford and drive accordingly.

Dont exceed the limits of your ability or that of the vehicle and you cannot go far wrong.

The most important thing you can do is maintain the correct pressure this paramount, check them frequently you look after them and they will look after you and your family and other road users for that matter.

Big Rat

3 people like this

The problem is that buying the best you can afford implies that the more money you pay the better the tyre. However this is definitely not true. Some tyres are just over priced. I am not a tyre snob, and I am prepared to try other so called non branded tyres.

Dunlop and Goodyear are made by the same company in the same factory.

I was offered a free trial of a set of tyres a little while ago, and while they have not been on the car for many miles I can only say I'm impressed. How well they ware is to early to say, but when they have a few thousand miles on them I will report back with a name, and "good or bad". If I were to name them many would probably deride them, but I'll keep an open mined.

In the past I have had Goodyear, and Dunlop tyres, and been disappointed with the high ware rates "less than 18,000 miles". On the same car running Hankook's I got over 40,000 miles with much the same levels of grip and noise. 

When I was working I used to cover 55,000 miles a year driving so most tyres lasted less than 6 months. Doing this sort of millage in all whether conditions soon shows the weaknesses of any tyres. Some brands get very noisy as they ware. I found Bridgestones particularly susceptible to this.

Michelin do "now" make some good tyres, but at a very heavy premium. Before the labeling system came out they claimed there tyres were fuel efficient, but the labeling system proved otherwise until they raised there game.

John

Whatever is on offer at my local indy....medium to premium tyres only.

Avon for the past few years...

On 16/02/2017 at 10:18 AM, capese21 said:

I like Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres as they suit the GS very well. Very comfortable being fairly soft walled  but still rated XL and grip well dry or wet.

Next choice Goodyear Asymmetric 3.  Much depends on the type of car.

Ed:yes:

Also a fan of the Uniroyal RS3. Used to put Pirelli P-Zero on everything but tried the RainSport 3 on my last Jag and was well impressed. Going on the GS as soon as the ones it came with wear enough to make the spend worthwhile. The no-name things that the dealership put on for me are dire, "Sh"tGrip 3000" or whatever slide all over the place when pushed.

I believe Uniroyal are owned and manufactured by Continental.

1 person likes this

I always go with nankang! They are made in the yokohama factory with the same compound just older tread patterns they are great tyres usually £20/30 cheaper then a yokohama branded tyre