Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Tyre Brand Would You Choose?

Lexus Owners Club

What Tyre Brand Would You Choose?   

205 members have voted

1. 1. If you were to choose a tyre brand, which would be your top tyre brand?

• Avon
    • Bridgestone
    • Continental
    • Dunlop
    • Falken
    • Goodyear
    • Hankook
    • Kumho
    • Michelin
    • Pirelli
    • Toyo
    • Vredestein
    • Yokohama

This poll is closed to new votes

Need replacement soon. Old tyres not really looking worn, but are rather old. Here with summer all year, slicks would be good enough for driving, but not for ITV (MOT). Next ITV October 2024 so have plenty of time.

Looking for good price for Continental UltraContact. Not the easiest brand to find good price for.

On 11/3/2022 at 12:18 AM, LenT said:

It’s generally not considered a good idea to mix different brands of tyre.  They will have different performance characteristics and may behave in an unpredictable way.

The other relevant recommendation, just to mention it, is that if you’re only replacing two tyres, the newest should go on the rear - which would be the case for you anyway.

So it would either be two new Bridgestones - or four new what ever you fancy!

Both of my rear tyres are different brands and 'budget' too. They were put on during separate road trips where I had the misfortune to pick up a non repairable puncture. Its usually the case that you get offered whatever they have at the time.

Gonna wait for the first one to get lowish and then replace both. Just don't like the thought of them being there although they've performed ok to be fair. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, superatticman said:

Both of my rear tyres are different brands and 'budget' too. They were put on during separate road trips where I had the misfortune to pick up a non repairable puncture. Its usually the case that you get offered whatever they have at the time.

Gonna wait for the first one to get lowish and then replace both. Just don't like the thought of them being there although they've performed ok to be fair. 

In which case, be aware that this may be an MOT fail.

This is a summary of the relevant MOT regulations:

• Different tyres on the same axle : you must mount tyres of equal diameter on the same axle. Tyres should have the same tread pattern and share the same characteristics..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LenT said:

In which case, be aware that this may be an MOT fail.

This is a summary of the relevant MOT regulations:

• Different tyres on the same axle : you must mount tyres of equal diameter on the same axle. Tyres should have the same tread pattern and share the same characteristics..

Thats a new one for me. I know radials and crossply tyres couldn't be mixed, but the wording there suggests that, having say, a directional tyre and an asymmetric one on the other side would be an MOT fail?

• Like 1

That combination got through two MOTs so presume they are identical patterns. Would like to think the Main Dealer would pick up on anything untoward as they are usually keen to sell you something!

Wasn't impressed with what they charged for the Bridgestones on the front though. General consensus was that the Lexus Main Dealers are usually pretty decent when it comes to supplying tyres without over inflating them. The cost that is! 

Should have checked their quote against others but sometimes you just want them done there and then..

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Thats a new one for me. I know radials and crossply tyres couldn't be mixed, but the wording there suggests that, having say, a directional tyre and an asymmetric one on the other side would be an MOT fail?

That should certainly be the case, John.  As would be having a directional / asymmetrical tyre rotating in the wrong direction- which could happen if someone’s followed the usual directions for rotating tyres to equalise wear.

42 minutes ago, superatticman said:

General consensus was that the Lexus Main Dealers are usually pretty decent when it comes to supplying tyres without over inflating them. The cost that is! 

Should have checked their quote against others but sometimes you just want them done there and then..

That’s a good point you make, Adam.

When I was getting new Goodyears for mine - which required different sizes on the two axles - I was about to have it serviced at my local Lexus dealer.

Out of curiosity, I asked if they would like to quote for them. Somewhat to my surprise, they matched the discounted price from my regular tyre supplier.

In the end, I went with the tyre retailer because I was also have Alloygators fitted.  But clearly it’s always worth asking!

I bought Michelin 225/60 R16 98V Primacy-3s for my LS400 11 months ago. They were recommended to me, because I wanted the smoothest ride and least road noise. Since then the "Golden Goddess" has done just over 16,000 miles in 11 months and I can thoroughly recommend them. The temperature here in Dubai can get up to 50 degrees, roads get very hot and tyres need to be able to cope. These Michelins have been great. They cost the equivalent of £495 for 5, not sure how this compares to the UK?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 11/5/2022 at 7:03 PM, Stanwithaplan said:

I bought Michelin 225/60 R16 98V Primacy-3s for my LS400 11 months ago. They were recommended to me, because I wanted the smoothest ride and least road noise. Since then the "Golden Goddess" has done just over 16,000 miles in 11 months and I can thoroughly recommend them. The temperature here in Dubai can get up to 50 degrees, roads get very hot and tyres need to be able to cope. These Michelins have been great. They cost the equivalent of £495 for 5, not sure how this compares to the UK?

I am not sure about your size but that seems a good price.

The primacy are the best all rounder for economy and quietness. They are fantastic on the wet too.

I have 19 inch tyres at the moment and gave Michelins at the front and Bridgestone at the back. The best price I have had is Michelin Primacy for £600 for 4 or the slightly noisier and less economical pilot sport (better on braking and aquaplaning) £650 for 4, both tyre types are heavily reduced!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 10:08 AM, Stanwithaplan said:

Good to know thanks, I'll definitely go for the Primacy again when I replace my UK 400's tyres.

Cherrs.

Due to my OCD. Today... I managed to source two secondhand Primacy 3 tyres to replace the two rear Bridgestones.

Hopefully, the tyres will last me till summer, then replace all four with primacy 4's.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 2:08 PM, Stanwithaplan said:

Good to know thanks, I'll definitely go for the Primacy again when I replace my UK 400's tyres.

I obviously tempted the Gods of Fate with my last comment damn it. Needed to replace my Michelins in DXB there are no projects here at all. Will take a month to get them in. So had to go for Dunlops (as they had bad cracks. Heat gets up to 50° in summer so tyres run really hot). Grip seems good on the Dunlops, ride seems similar but on certain road surfaces there is a noticeable bass boom/rumble). I had alignment done. Maybe this will dissipate as they wear in?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links