Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My is250 - The saga continues

So I've had my IS250 SE-L Auto coming up 2 years. It's 55 plate and covered 110k and although I love everything about the car, it's really starting to clock up some bills now.  

So far I have had a water pump go just over a year ago, so a new pump and rad were installed. The head gasket went just before Xmas this year, leading to a donor engine being installed.

I've now have 2 new problems.

1. Whenever it starts from cold, it sounds like a diesel whilst it fires up. Only when it's cold and once the engine is running, it sounds perfectly fine. I'm told it could be an oil pump (speculation, it hasn't been looked at as yet)

2. Only very intermittently, when accelerating up an incline, there is a horrendous sound similar to a slipping aux belt but more metallic (Awful description I know, sorry). If i immediately take my foot off the gas the noise goes and when I put it back on, the noise does not return. This off/on can be done with no delay.

Any ideas what either of the above can be? - I can try and get a video of my Diesel start up later if that helps?

This car has wanted for nothing over the last 2 years and I refuse to believe that the shelf life of this car is 110k. My 1st Gen IS did around 180k before it even visited a garage outside of general maintenance and that was only because the bottom of the rad had corroded. 

Yes, it ended up a Cat D. I have bought the car back with a view to having the dent pulled. 

The engine does have a 6 month warranty, yes. However it was a bare block engine, no ancillaries

6 hours ago, RNUK said:

Yes, it ended up a Cat D. I have bought the car back with a view to having the dent pulled. 

The engine does have a 6 month warranty, yes. However it was a bare block engine, no ancillaries

Well done you. You wont regret it. Let us know how you go with the repairs.

A couple of easy checks - its got to be a mechanical part to create the noise

The first point - is it like a machine gun rattle?  It could be something as simple of the wrong oil being used in the engine - as its a donor one did you see what went in?

Second point - check for leaks, as its just gone in then its wise to do so, especially around the belts where slipping may occur if theres a water pump leak. Put the car in N and move belt to see if you can hear or feel the noise or feel a grinding - may well be a bearing on one of the pulleys but presume they were all checked before going back on the car.

I would also check the calipers although if seized then the noise would be present or felt all the time - check the discs for visible scoring or uneven brake pad were.

..... its not exhaust noise from headders?

Thanks for the replies. A guy at work used to be  a mechanic and had a listen tonight. Asked if it had hydraulic lifters as it sounds like that (if that helps?)

I'll try and get a video of it. But it has to be completely cold for it to happen. 

Its going to have the Camshaft and crankshaft sensors changed over to my old ones tomorrow to see if we can cure the engine warning lights. So I'll ask them what oil they put in. At a guess, it's the 5w/30 that is recommended that they put in.

@RNUK For me it sound like:

1. Who ever fitted the engine connected something wrong or maybe even donor engine is not the best shape. The description of the issue is very vague, but from what I understood it doesn't run smooth. Again that is very hard to guess, I would say maybe timing is not adjusted, but timing is not adjustable on these engines.... if it doesn't throw any error codes (assuming you had fixed previous problems with VSC) it is like looking for needle you know where...

2. Sound very similar description of what I had - sticking hydraulic valve lifters. There is no specific cure, but changing oil in 6k miles intervals seems to mitigate this issue. I have personally used engine (oil) flush, which is not exactly recommended, fresh oil and have never heard it again (touch wood).

General advice try engine flush and maybe de-carb service, maybe engine was sitting somewhere and just needs to be cleaned and have a good run.

_____

edit:

Sorry missed you last post.... There is no point to expect for engine to run smoothly while you clearly have some issues (VSC-light and related error codes). 2. It seems your mechanic is right about lifters... cannot be coincidence. 

There are quite a few topics regarding engine oil, but most 5w30 should do.

Thanks. Other than the VSC warning (Diagnostic comes back with Crankshaft and Camshaft alignment out - P0016 & P0017), the engine runs nice and smooth. That's why we are switching out the sensors for the one on my old engine. The donor was direct from Japan so there is some speculation over sensors programmed to a Japanese ECU running on an European ECU. 

27 minutes ago, Gramera flash said:

you must be really in love with this car,,,,i would have given up long ago

Love the car, starting to think that this particular one is a bad example though. 

15 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I see, so you decided to keep it then.  Nice one.

A video with the noise would be quite helpful.

Not mine, but this is the exact noise that mine makes! 

Comments say Cam Gears. Known isssue?

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links