Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexie went in for her MOT today and passed with one advisory, Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint offside.

Only driven 7000 since the last test.

Something else I learned was that if the car comes in running on LPG then it doesn't have to have the emissions test.

Well here's to another year of the best motoring around.

• Like 5

Lexie went in for her MOT today and passed with one advisory, Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint offside.

Only driven 7000 since the last test.

Something else I learned was that if the car comes in running on LPG then it doesn't have to have the emissions test.

Well here's to another year of the best motoring around.

I'm not sure about that. You can choose to present the car on either petrol or LPG for the emissions test but as far as I know it still has to be done - they've always given me the printout of the LPG test.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, sorcerer said:

I'm not sure about that. You can choose to present the car on either petrol or LPG for the emissions test but as far as I know it still has to be done - they've always given me the printout of the LPG test.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I can only tell you what they told me and what I read in the MOT manual they hold.

I can only reiterate what they told me and what I read in the MOT manual they hold but tomorrow just for you I will ring my garage in the morning and ask them for you, I will also ask them why its not mentioned on the government website.

45 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

I can only reiterate what they told me and what I read in the MOT manual they hold but tomorrow just for you I will ring my garage in the morning and ask them for you, I will also ask them why its not mentioned on the government website.

It IS on the government website, that's where I downloaded the pdf file from:

mot2.jpg

3 hours ago, sorcerer said:

It IS on the government website, that's where I downloaded the pdf file from:

mot2.jpg

Why would my little village garage who has been servicing mine my wifes and childrens cars for the last 32 years lie and put himself in a position that could get him into serious trouble where the DVLA are concerned?

11 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Why would my little village garage who has been servicing mine my wifes and childrens cars for the last 32 years lie and put himself in a position that could get him into serious trouble where the DVLA are concerned?

Well first of all I never said anyone was lying - maybe they are just mistaken. All I've said is that my car has always been presented on LPG and it has always had to have an emissions test. I then went on to provide written proof from the government's own MOT Inspection Manual, freely available for anyone to download from the government's own website. If you can provide written proof to the contrary then fair enough, but otherwise I'd say your garage has got something slightly wrong.

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

Well first of all I never said anyone was lying - maybe they are just mistaken. All I've said is that my car has always been presented on LPG and it has always had to have an emissions test. I then went on to provide written proof from the government's own MOT Inspection Manual, freely available for anyone to download from the government's own website. If you can provide written proof to the contrary then fair enough, but otherwise I'd say your garage has got something slightly wrong.

Will ring them in the morning.

Here we go, first of all I was wrong but only in as much that I spread misinformation that I was told and saw regarding the emissions tests on LPG cars. The one thing my garage and I didn't do was read further down the page where it says that this only applies to Dual Fuel cars like Toyota  Prius. My car was to old to be in the Prius catagory but had I presented a Prius they would have asked me which fuel did I drive on too the MOT and had I answered LPG they wouldn't do an Emissions test.

Regarding the DVLA MOT website my garage did say that it can take ages for updates to go live.

I apologise for spreading wrong information that I was told. Mike.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Here we go, first of all I was wrong but only in as much that I spread misinformation that I was told and saw regarding the emissions tests on LPG cars. The one thing my garage and I didn't do was read further down the page where it says that this only applies to Dual Fuel cars like Toyota  Prius. My car was to old to be in the Prius catagory but had I presented a Prius they would have asked me which fuel did I drive on too the MOT and had I answered LPG they wouldn't do an Emissions test.

Regarding the DVLA MOT website my garage did say that it can take ages for updates to go live.

I apologise for spreading wrong information that I was told. Mike.

Aha! Now I know what you mean. You weren't so much 'wrong' as talking about something completely and utterly different - you were talking apples and I was talking oranges.

Hybrid vehicles such as the Prius or the Lexus RX450h, for example, are indeed exempt from emissions testing. It's a strange and ludicrous situation because they have petrol engines that, when running, will produce emissions, but by virtue of the fact that the cars are capable of running in 'milk float mode' they are indeed exempt from emissions testing.

In summary then, LPG fuel systems do need to be emissions tested, except and unless they are part of a hybrid car.

4 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

Aha! Now I know what you mean. You weren't so much 'wrong' as talking about something completely and utterly different - you were talking apples and I was talking oranges.

Hybrid vehicles such as the Prius or the Lexus RX450h, for example, are indeed exempt from emissions testing. It's a strange and ludicrous situation because they have petrol engines that, when running, will produce emissions, but by virtue of the fact that the cars are capable of running in 'milk float mode' they are indeed exempt from emissions testing.

In summary then, LPG cars do need to be emissions tested, except and unless they are part of a hybrid car.

My village garage mechanic has been laid on a bed of nails and flogged, strange thing is he had a smile on his face so I may well not have punished him.

• Like 2