Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi ,I have used Blue Print brake components on vehicles in the past with no problems ,they are  well respected in the replacement market and I do not think you will have any problems

Dave

• Like 1

Have you tried MTEC before? Used them on other vehicles and and they work well, the coating keeps them looking smart too.  

With Mintex pads they're a similar price to the Blueprint.

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/lexus/ls400-89-00/ls400-4-0-ucf20-10-94-12-00.html

I'd get a plain/non-grooved set to keep the noise down.

• Like 1

I'm on the U turn over parts - these will be fine btw. I want guaranteed quality now so I've used Gates and Blueprint but for brakes I'll stick with Lexus. Particularly as I now own up to loving the car and it's a long-term thing.

I'd bite the bullet and source genuine kit - use your gold card or haggle as applicable. 

The original pads are very high quality with ceramic and have a good life span and performance.

You might want to replace the hand brake shoes whilst you are there...

Pays your money...takes your choice.

Simon:smile:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

I'm on the U turn over parts - these will be fine btw. I want guaranteed quality now so I've used Gates and Blueprint but for brakes I'll stick with Lexus. Particularly as I now own up to loving the car and it's a long-term thing.

I'd bite the bullet and source genuine kit

You do realise, don't you, that Lexus/Toyota, Nissan, Ford etc., etc., don't manufacture parts such as brakes, batteries, exhausts and so on. They just buy them in from the people who do manufacture them and stick on a markup for the badge/branding that says Lexus/Toyota, Ford etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

You do realise, don't you, that Lexus/Toyota, Nissan, Ford etc., etc., don't manufacture parts such as brakes, batteries, exhausts and so on. They just buy them in from the people who do manufacture them and stick on a markup for the badge/branding that says Lexus/Toyota, Ford etc.

I think the majority of people are fully aware of this these days. I also think the majority of people, myself included, prefer to buy from Lexus/Mercedes/BMW etc.. because we know we will be getting the correct spec part of a know and consistent quality. Yes, possibly (but definitely not always) more expensive than non-dealer sourced parts but peace of mind is assured and that to me is worth the small premium ...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I think the majority of people are fully aware of this these days. I also think the majority of people, myself included, prefer to buy from Lexus/Mercedes/BMW etc.. because we know we will be getting the correct spec part of a know and consistent quality. Yes, possibly (but definitely not always) more expensive than non-dealer sourced parts but peace of mind is assured and that to me is worth the small premium ...

Maybe it's a north/south thing; maybe we're a bit more frugal up here in the frozen north, but I think the majority of people, myself included, never go to main stealers unless we absolutely cannot get the part elsewhere. Maybe if the car is only two or three years old there's a case for it, but once it gets to six and beyond it's just a waste of money.

As to your point about getting the correct spec at a consistent quality, you're getting the same spec and quality from the manufacturer of said parts as anyone else. For instance, lets just say that Lexus buy in brake parts from Blueprint (just as an example). Blueprint don't have special factories squirting out parts for Lexus - the Lexus-branded parts will come off the same production lines at the same factories that the rest of us buy from.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sorcerer said:

As to your point about getting the correct spec at a consistent quality, you're getting the same spec and quality from the manufacturer of said parts as anyone else. For instance, lets just say that Lexus buy in brake parts from Blueprint (just as an example). Blueprint don't have special factories squirting out parts for Lexus - the Lexus-branded parts will come off the same production lines at the same factories that the rest of us buy from.

This is the argument that gets most vexing, as one simply cannot know for certain it's correct. Yes the parts may well come from the same factory and quite probably the same production line but are they to the same quality?

I know, from speaking with Michelin, that Mercedes 'MO' labelled tyres are manufactured the same as all other tyres of that spec but Mercedes require that a far tighter quality criteria  be applied on tyres tested and only those that conform are allowed to be labelled 'MO'. It doesn't mean that a tyre without the 'MO' label doesn't meet the criteria but as a buyer one knows with confidence that the one that is 'MO' does...

One can apply the same to other service parts.

• Like 2

Yes. Peter that's my point too.

I got an article on the issue of spare parts from Car Mechanic now posted under resources on this forum...

It does not matter who makes what, if the integrity and quality are spot on, but who's to know? At least if it has Lexus/Toyota numbers and source I have a higher level of confidence. My non Jag water pump and the replacement thermostat tower for example are both cheaper and are upgraded replacements over the real deal.

Why, are MB brake pads perfect and those available cheaper from motor factors from the same manufacturer not: they squeal so badly an MB non franchise dealer had to give up and get them from MB? The MB spec was different clearly.

They should be graded and specified but that's more regulation, tape, admin, policing.

As you know...because I keep on banging on about it...I fitted a Gates kit when it came to a cambelt change plus non Lexus pulleys and waterpump, I have a Blueprint air filter and cabin filter. Thermostat from can't remember whom. Put original Denso plugs in and always use a Lexus oil filter. My hobby is shopping round for discounted prices so generally there is nil to not too bad a difference from original to replacement. If it's too cheap then what do we expect?

When the prices of our cars starts to rise and we are driving classics, then I will ensure all parts are "genuine".

Always a great talking point is this subject!

• Like 1

Brake manufacturers are asked to put forward their best match to the specification that Lexus wants for a particular vehicle during the design stage they don't go out and build a one off design. They may have already have designed this specification for another car manufacturer and it will be tweaked if there is enough market for it  in terms of numbers made.

The shoes and pads are again made from materials tried and tested for durability longevity and cost production and the design of these components is complex with regards to materials used  the research and development is key to a good product.

There are companies that just manufacture the hardware such as rotors and calipers and carriers and they ask pad manufacturers to come up with materials that give those rotors a long life but also give the top braking performance ,so it is not a one party effort getting the right mix of components.

There will have been numerous meetings with all parties to achieve the best product simply because reputations depend on it.

After market companies are never at those meetings and their claim  manufactured to oem specs is not precisely  correct as they are simply ripping off the original spec without inside knowledge.

I was reliably informed by a Lexus Executive that on consumables Blueprint come within 10% of original spec and they are supposed to be the best but thats not good enough for me ,I always use OEM parts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Farqui said:

Have you tried MTEC before? Used them on other vehicles and and they work well, the coating keeps them looking smart too.  

With Mintex pads they're a similar price to the Blueprint.

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/lexus/ls400-89-00/ls400-4-0-ucf20-10-94-12-00.html

I'd get a plain/non-grooved set to keep the noise down.

I've gone for these with the mintex pads

will get some handbrake shoes also

now off to YouTube to figure out how much help I'll need !

• Like 1

I've had Pagid on Renault and Porsche and suffered, Mintex on Jag after initial noise have settled and are fine. 

brembo discs on XKR with Jag pads stop so fast you have to check vehicles behind you. (As spec).

lexus pads are ceramic. Why? They are soft and shed heat to lower brake fade.

I'm wary of the "banking" factor where rubbish is passed off as OE and who is to say? Greed...££££ Bit like rubbish food full of fillers, sugar salt. That never happens. Misselling, fibbing politicians, cons. Life is perfect. So how can we tell? 

• Like 1

I fitted genuine Lexus discs and pads all round and the car pulls up on a sixpence I told the parts department I could get Brembo's for the price they quoted and got a 20% discount for my trouble. I had the calipers refurbished at the same time and I've never had brakes like it before.

• Like 2

Mark 

there are a couple of threads on here with regards the fitting of the handbrake shoes,I think there is a pictorial instruction on Lexusowners us site.  You will find these very helpful the job is a bit of a head scratcher to the uninitiated .

• Like 1

Would handbrake shoes need replacing ??

They don't take any wear do they,?    just hold the car in a stationary position when parked (if used)

I am only asking as my mechanic says we will do rear discs and pads this year, told me to get discs and pads didn't mention shoes.

Brian

I have learnt my lesson from the Mark 1 I had for a long 16 years so I do not apply the foot operated parking brake on my Mark 4 unless it is parked on a slope .It is very easy to drive off from stationary parking for a few hundred yards before realizing the parking brake is on.

If you do that a few times it does not take long to wear them out and the lovely people who designed the brakes put adjusters in for idiots like me.

So thats why they have to be replaced

• Like 2

I have just replaced the rear discs, pads, and break shoes on my GS450H. I replaced the discs because of rust. They would have resurfaced easily there being no ware lip. However I was able to buy a pair of Quinton Hazel rear discs for £20. EBC break pads for £20, and Mintex rear shoes for £18.

The rear shoes were worn to about 2mm due to rust inside the drums acting as an abrasive. The new shoes only have about 4 mm of thickness to start with. I could have used the old shoes, but by the time they had bedded in on the new drums there would not have been much lining left.

I have never had a problem with any of the well known branded discs. The choice of pads is subjective depending on the way the car is driven, and your expectations on pad ware disc ware, dust, noise, and pedal feel. Again sticking to known branded products should not give problems. Some of the cheap unheard of brand pads can be very bad bordering on dangerous. 

My preference is for the pads to ware giving long disc life, but I am not heavy on brakes.

John.

• Like 2

lockeyboy

any opinions? 

dendonc

The pads which are problem free for the LS are ferrodo premium, (apart from lexus), there is quite  bit of feedback on them here so try the search as some people give feedback on others they tried (& which failed), the failure seems always to be the squealing.

• Like 1

The handbrake shoes on mine will need replacing soon, minimum thickness allowed is 1mm and mine are at that on the leading edge, you can just see them in this pic.. And the 460 has an electric handbrake that automatically goes off when you drive so they do wear...!!!

Photo%2001-02-2017%2011%2054%2015_zpsyvc

Don't forget EBC for brakes, they just gave me 30% discount through the Gold club scheme, they are a British manufacturer and they even balance and test their discs for runout which is more than a lot do... They have various pads to chose from, from standard to full race, their standard ones are low dust as well which I like, the bite and feel are easily the same as original and with the discount they were cheaper than the trade price for Pagid from the motor factors...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dendonc said:

Lockeyboy

I've gone for these with the mintex pads

dendonc

OK can you us (me anyway) have some feedback on them ie if they are noisy at all, thnaks

Hi Denis 

sure will.  

3 hours ago, Haylands said:

The handbrake shoes on mine will need replacing soon, minimum thickness allowed is 1mm and mine are at that on the leading edge, you can just see them in this pic.. And the 460 has an electric handbrake that automatically goes off when you drive so they do wear...!!!

Photo%2001-02-2017%2011%2054%2015_zpsyvc

Don't forget EBC for brakes, they just gave me 30% discount through the Gold club scheme, they are a British manufacturer and they even balance and test their discs for runout which is more than a lot do... They have various pads to chose from, from standard to full race, their standard ones are low dust as well which I like, the bite and feel are easily the same as original and with the discount they were cheaper than the trade price for Pagid from the motor factors...

Hi peter 

i did have a look but I'm also looking at some bodywork, paint correction and cambelt this year, I'm trying to balance the budgets in that respect.

also, I'm almost the polar opposite of yourself in terms of capability! 

• Like 1

I wasn't particularly impressed with blueprint discs and pads - discs needed replaced after 20k, but started to cause wheel wobble when light braking at 10k, and pads squealed and sprayed dust, so replaced with pagid discs and ferodo pads. Rear replaced with all pagid components and are fine.

Pete

• Like 2