Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thanks Phil

must admit I have pulled away with the footbrake on in the past, it does take a few yards to realise considering the power of the LS.

I didn't think of wear on the shoes through this, but now you point it out it's obvious, better start looking for shoes aswell then.

Haylands said that the 460 has electric operated brake, so will wear quicker as it will stay on until the car moves off, hmmm must put a lot of strain on all suspension components at the same time.

Brian, I'm not sure that the electrical handbrake on the 460 does cause more stress on components. The handbrake has an 'AUTO' selection which I always use. This means that, every time the gear lever is set to 'PARK', the handbrake is applied but, when you select away from 'P', the handbrake is released and the car is held stationary by the auto box or by holding your foot on the brake.

There is also a 'Brake Hold' facility which, when selected, automatically applies the handbrake when the car comes to a stop.......and releases when the accelerator is pressed. This is possible because both the brakes and accelerator are electronic. The 'Brake Hold' facility is great in traffic queues - you don't need to sit with your foot on the brake pedal.

Of course, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I replaced my handbrake shoes on my LS400 the mileage was 196,000, but the reason was it was part of the mechanism that had seized also the retaining pins had almost rusted through. The previous owner told me he never used the handbrake so as to save it. I never understood how that would save it and because it's a safety feature it has to pass an MOT so surely it's better to use it and keep all parts moving! I bought pattern parts and they did the job as well as they should, it's worth getting the whole kit not just the shoes.

• Like 3

I have never used the parking brake on all my 3 Lexus's - I do however apply the break once in a while just to keep the parts moving -  same as the air suspension - i flick ii every say often to prevent things from seizing up

• Like 2

Mark if you're looking for paint correction I used 'The Devil Is In The Detail' you'll find them on Facebook and they're in Birmingham so in your area. Ted did a fantastic job on my Mercedes he's a perfectionist and it will not cost you anything like it should he also has a bodyshop linked to him, I'd go and see him and he'll quote you well under what it should be for the workmanship. I also had some welding done at the bodyshop and it was top class work and again a bit of a bargain.

• Like 1

I decided not to replace the brake shoes as new shoes will inevitably not "grab" as well as the old, which in my case should never get worn unless I leave the handbrake on.  I use it every time I park up though I'm on level ground. Recommended by my Mechanic and makes sense to ensure parts don't seize.. 

Reason I won't replace them (though Ive got a brand new set languishing in the Garage) is having got parked up on the P&O Ferry side Ramp in a W140 once, I found it very difficult to keep the car from rolling back.  OK they chocked it -eventually! but....Wouldn't want that to happe in the Lexus.  I really hate those P&O ramps, bl**dy nightmare!

On 03/02/2017 at 10:52 PM, plastic orange said:

I wasn't particularly impressed with blueprint discs and pads - discs needed replaced after 20k, but started to cause wheel wobble when light braking at 10k, and pads squealed and sprayed dust, so replaced with pagid discs and ferodo pads. Rear replaced with all pagid components and are fine.

Pete

Like you I am not impressed with BluePrint, squeal all the time, and wobble about like 40 Weebles in a sack.  Interestingly no garage up to now wants to change either discs or pads, as they think (me not being a grease monkey) I do not know what I am talking about. 

My discs look as if they still have a shed load of life in them, but I think I'll be aiming for for both front discs and pads to be done, not sure if Brembo/Pagid mix, or brembo all around.

... and then got to sort out hand brake - used every day - but have been told (for last 3 years) will need sorting at some point due to corrosion. 

• 2 weeks later...

as i said before ferodo premium are the answer to aftermarket pads, i did look for those posts on here after i posted on them (after squealing aftermarket pads), someone else changed their aftermarket pads to the ferodo premium option and found them silent, but, those posts were a couple of years ago or more & I cant find them anymore, i know there were a few posters on here then who had tried other pads of numerous kinds & all had had the squealing prob.....

I think folks need to be a bit carefull when buying ferodo, I came across this advertising 'ferodo' pads for my model 400 but they are not ferodo 'premium' pads & have no idea if non premium have the same squealing probs as most others.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/brake-pads/ferodo-fdb1554_g900005_a062FDB1554.html

2 hours ago, dendonc said:

I think folks need to be a bit carefull when buying ferodo, I came across this advertising 'ferodo' pads for my model 400 but they are not ferodo 'premium' pads & have no idea if non premium have the same squealing probs as most others.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/brake-pads/ferodo-fdb1554_g900005_a062FDB1554.html

What is interesting about Mister Auto site is that if you look at all pads for LS400 (Mk4) the dimensions are all a bit different, (but I guess within tolerance).  The Ferodo are the same price as Blue Print (though an invoice from when I had Blue Prints on - they were half this price  - garage discount???).

As to Feredo and whether they are Premier it is not easy to see unless you have the box they come in, which seems to have Premier clearly on the side.

Also did some reading on a few forums on Ferodo Premier and they seem to suffer squealing from time to time, so makes me wonder if having silent pads is a bonus rather than a right.