Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance renewal.

Britprius

Being insurance renewal time, and after reading some of the comments on LOC I contacted Adrian Flux for a quote on my GS450H.

I was very disappointed with the renewal quote at £300. At first site not to bad, but this was with an excess of £500, and with non of the things like breakdown cover, loan car ect.

Adding all the extras I am currently insured for would have increased this figure by another £175. This with the LOC discount?

Looking on price comparison sites I can get insured with everything covered including "Key Care" and "Miss fueling" with a £250 excess from 7 different companies ranging from £297 to £303. Last years insurance premium was £257 a figure that I expect to rise slightly this year (£280?) i'll keep you informed.

I have yet to contact Lexus insurance, but that is my next port of call.

One other point to now consider even if you pay extra for "no claims protection" you premium can go up if you make a clam even if it is a not at fault claim. If this occurs it stands to reason any extra premiums for however many years the increase stands should be recoverable from the third party. Why should you pay out extra in premiums for something that is not your fault?

John.

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

Being insurance renewal time, and after reading some of the comments on LOC I contacted Adrian Flux for a quote on my GS450H.

I was very disappointed with the renewal quote at £300. At first site not to bad, but this was with an excess of £500, and with non of the things like breakdown cover, loan car ect.

Adding all the extras I am currently insured for would have increased this figure by another £175. This with the LOC discount?

Looking on price comparison sites I can get insured with everything covered including "Key Care" and "Miss fueling" with a £250 excess from 7 different companies ranging from £297 to £303. Last years insurance premium was £257 a figure that I expect to rise slightly this year (£280) i'll keep you informed.

One other point to now consider even if you pay extra for "no claims protection" you premium can go up if you make a clam even if it is a not at fault claim. If this occurs it stands to reason any extra premiums for however many years the increase stands should be recoverable from the third party. Why should you pay out extra in premiums for something that is not your fault?

John.

Adrian Flux have never been competitive for me. Im paying £750 altogether for both cars on a multicar policy. Adrian Flux wanted £1200 just for my RX.

Something to note is that most insurance companies tempt you with a cheap quote for the first year and then inflate it upon renewal hoping you won't bother changing. Therefore, its normally advised to keep changing policies every year unless ofc you get a cheap renewal

Its also worth remembering that add ons like misfuelling cover and key care will inflate the price. Do you really need them?? 

With regard to the NCP, you are correct in saying that premiums would increase if you were in a non-fault accident. However, they would increase by a greater margin if you didn't have a protected NCP. I think the reason behind it is that insurance companies count you as higher risk if you've made a claim regardless of fault. Dont ask me how they work that out but most likely the statistics are showing that people who claim once end up claiming more often

Of course you have to be over 50 but as I posted elsewhere this evening my premium is much lower this year with Saga at £165, that includes ncp and uninsured other driver.  I've also tried Adrian Flux and been well disappointed.  So this year I've insured my LS and my Volvo for a combined £350, both fully comp etc so not at all bad I don't think.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Adrian Flux have never been competitive for me. Im paying £750 altogether for both cars on a multicar policy. Adrian Flux wanted £1200 just for my RX.

Something to note is that most insurance companies tempt you with a cheap quote for the first year and then inflate it upon renewal hoping you won't bother changing. Therefore, its normally advised to keep changing policies every year unless ofc you get a cheap renewal

Its also worth remembering that add ons like misfuelling cover and key care will inflate the price. Do you really need them?? 

With regard to the NCP, you are correct in saying that premiums would increase if you were in a non-fault accident. However, they would increase by a greater margin if you didn't have a protected NCP. I think the reason behind it is that insurance companies count you as higher risk if you've made a claim regardless of fault. Dont ask me how they work that out but most likely the statistics are showing that people who claim once end up claiming more often

The company I am with "Hastings Premier" send me a renewal figure every year with a high quote. This has been up to £200 more than the previous year. I check on the price comparison sites and get the figure quoted on those, and then ring them directly quoting the figures. They then have always reduced the quote to a figure below the price comparison sites.

When I buy car insurance I do want breakdown cover, NCB protection, Courtesy car, miss fueling, glass cover, and a few other items. Being in my 70's along with my wife, and disabled "nothing that affects my driving" if I am a long way from home I need the assistance that others may not.

Loosing the key fob for the Lexus can not only disable the car it can cost a three figure sum to get mobile again. 

If the car breaks down, and I have my caravan in tow. I need assistance that can deal with this.

If the car is disabled because of an accident I need a hire car. I do not have a second vehicle.

Hastings do cover for all these eventualities along with Hotel expenses if required at to me a realistic price £257. Both my wife and myself have over 21 years claims free, no driving convictions or points, and live in a rural low crime area that attracts low premiums.

When I spoke to the gentleman at Adrian Flux I asked for fully comprehensive insurance, and was asked if I wanted NCB protection. I said yes, and was given a quote as in my previous post "I also gave him the figure I was paying, along with the cover I have". I then asked for the quote in writing (Email) which he did. It was only at this point "after reading the Email figures" that I found most everything was excluded. Not exactly fully comprehensive. None of this was revealed in the phone conversation. In fact I can get the car insured with more cover than Adrian Flux on the comparison sites for less than £200.

Adrian Flux may well be good at getting insurance for modified vehicles, and classic cars, but I do not wish to be paying a premium to reduce other peoples cover. A premium of £300 is not a no go figure for me, but with a £500 excess, and with little or no additional cover included it is not remotely competitive. 

John. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Britprius said:

Looking on price comparison sites I can get insured with everything covered including "Key Care" and "Miss fueling" with a £250 excess from 7 different companies ranging from £297 to £303. Last years insurance premium was £257 a figure that I expect to rise slightly this year (£280) i'll keep you informed.

John.

Sorry to hear this, if you wanted to PM me I'd be happy to look into it for you.

Kind Regards

Dan

Just doing the renewal exercise. My present insurer sent me a renewal letter. The cost included a "renewal arrangement fee". They also told me that my excess had gone up.. They did not say how much but that it was set out in the Schedule which I could look up on line. I would have preferred them to have stated the new excess in the letter.

So far I have tried uSwitch, money supermarket and compare the market. uSwitch did not come up with anything better than my present insurers but the other two did. The results are much the same for both of them and the best was roughly 30% below my present company. Interestingly, I forgot to add my wife (medical condition, DVLA aware, no restrictions) at first and when I did the quote went down.

I need to see about protecting my NCB and adding key cover tomorrow but otherwise so far so good. I will also mention that I reported the August swipe to my bumper to my last company. No claim was made as following advice on this forum almost all of the damage was polished out. This "incident" is mentioned on my schedule though.

John

1 hour ago, OldTrout said:

Just doing the renewal exercise. My present insurer sent me a renewal letter. The cost included a "renewal arrangement fee". They also told me that my excess had gone up.. They did not say how much but that it was set out in the Schedule which I could look up on line. I would have preferred them to have stated the new excess in the letter.

So far I have tried uSwitch, money supermarket and compare the market. uSwitch did not come up with anything better than my present insurers but the other two did. The results are much the same for both of them and the best was roughly 30% below my present company. Interestingly, I forgot to add my wife (medical condition, DVLA aware, no restrictions) at first and when I did the quote went down.

I need to see about protecting my NCB and adding key cover tomorrow but otherwise so far so good. I will also mention that I reported the August swipe to my bumper to my last company. No claim was made as following advice on this forum almost all of the damage was polished out. This "incident" is mentioned on my schedule though.

John

I would give confused.com a try.

I believe they are part of the Admiral group and therefore tend to give the best prices for Admiral and Bell on there.

Thanks Rayaan.

Confused came up with slightly better price from Quotemehappy than the other two did. As I was struggling to the web page to add key cover the phone rang with very helpful Welsh lady to say they were only an on-line company! Got it to accept key cover and am now covered having reduced my premium by £140 or so.

Now for the MOT.

John

After some discussion with my present insurer "Hastings Premier" I have renewed my insurance with them. I just wish they would give there lowest figure each year in there renewal notice instead of having to ring them quoting there own figures on renewal sites.

With a reduced excess, and extended breakdown cover to cover not only recovery of my car, but also my caravan if required, and a 24 hour hire car if needed. This with complete cover for just about everything else at a fee not far off my estimated £280 actual figure £284. This to me is a very reasonable price.

John.

On 2/7/2017 at 11:02 AM, OldTrout said:

Thanks Rayaan.

Confused came up with slightly better price from Quotemehappy than the other two did. As I was struggling to the web page to add key cover the phone rang with very helpful Welsh lady to say they were only an on-line company! Got it to accept key cover and am now covered having reduced my premium by £140 or so.

Now for the MOT.

John

That's a good result in the end then. Yes comparison sites will vary depending on how much commission they are taking etc so worth checking all of them to be sure.

28 minutes ago, Britprius said:

After some discussion with my present insurer "Hastings Premier" I have renewed my insurance with them. I just wish they would give there lowest figure each year in there renewal notice instead of having to ring them quoting there own figures on renewal sites.

With a reduced excess, and extended breakdown cover to cover not only recovery of my car, but also my caravan if required, and a 24 hour hire car if needed. This with complete cover for just about everything else at a fee not far off my estimated £280 actual figure £284. This to me is a very reasonable price.

John.

Thats how the industry works Im afraid. They give you an inflated renewal to try and grab money from those who forget or those who can't be bothered changing